Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #1

OEM Wheels vs Aftermarket Wheels

I'm thinking of maybe going to 18" wheels on my new (to me) Boxster. Not sure if I will but I might.

I see used OEM wheels selling for anything in the range of $1,000 to over $2,000 a set. I also see on Tirerack many brand new wheels for about $450 each, or $1,800 a set, or about the same as what a used set of OEM wheels cost. For example, the Alleggerita HLT. And you can get the Porsche center caps on them.

Are the aftermarket wheels really a substantially inferior quality to the OEM wheels? Certainly a lot of advantages to buying wheels that are brand new rather than used ones from a stranger.

Last edited by BoxMann; 03-24-2019 at 05:20 PM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
Are the aftermarket wheels really a substantially inferior quality to the OEM wheels?
Depends on who manufactures the aftermarket wheels.

Even genuine OEM ones with Porsche part numbers on them are made by qualified suppliers; most of whom are also in the aftermarket industry.
ripratama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripratama View Post
Depends on who manufactures the aftermarket wheels.

Even genuine OEM ones with Porsche part numbers on them are made by qualified suppliers; most of whom are also in the aftermarket industry.
Well, what about the Alleggerita HLT wheels that I mentioned as an example?
Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

There is a world of difference between ask and the ACTUAL resale price of most OEM P-car wheels.

A few styles / designs can fetch $3-4-500 a wheel but vast majority are on lower end of that scale if not even lower - especially high volume / low demand styles (lobster forks for instance). Spec B helps the 17" market but even then...

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
There is a world of difference between ask and the ACTUAL resale price of most OEM P-car wheels.

A few styles / designs can fetch $3-4-500 a wheel but vast majority are on lower end of that scale if not even lower - especially high volume / low demand styles (lobster forks for instance). Spec B helps the 17" market but even then...

Good luck!
Yeah, I understand there's a big difference between "ask" and "actual", but I guess my primary inquiry is whether I'd be getting a significantly inferior wheel by buying something like the Alleggerita HLT from TireRack rather than a used OEM.

BTW, what is "Spec B"?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #6

The biggest difference (usually) with aftermarket “cheap” wheels is weight. Overall, going to 18’s is going to increase that anyway, so going with a cheap wheel may make that even more so. Having said that, it really depends. Would you feel the weight difference? Maybe, but probably not. There will be some minor loss of acceleration, possible higher suspension and brake wear, but again, not outrageous. The wheels you are talking about are probably of similar weight to stock Boxster wheels. Check the weight, they are usually published.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
Well, what about the Alleggerita HLT wheels that I mentioned as an example?
Those are made by OZ, a reputable wheel maker. No issues there.
ripratama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:20 AM   #8

These just came up on pca and are somewhat local to you.

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/334626
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #9

Oz makes very good wheels. If you want to know what some good brands are, look at what aftermarket wheels people put on their 911's. I know HRE are good too. One thing though look at the reviews for those wheels. It says they easily bend and to avoid any roads with potholes. Seeing as you live in new york I'd recommend against them. As i've hit some massive potholes myself and thankfully the oem wheels are still fine.
MichaelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelV View Post
One thing though look at the reviews for those wheels. It says they easily bend and to avoid any roads with potholes. Seeing as you live in new york I'd recommend against them. As i've hit some massive potholes myself and thankfully the oem wheels are still fine.
I didn't read the reviews, but thank you very much for pointing that out. I think that's a dealbreaker right there. And maybe that's why OEM wheels are a lot more money.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #11

With used wheels it will always be difficult to determine how true they are vertically and horizontally. Some of the money you save on buying them may be spent getting them trued. And if they need refinishing they should be really cheap. I think any wheels, OEM or aftermarket, in factory OEM widths for these cars, where the spokes are offset closer to the outer rim are going to be somewhat susceptible to bending on what passes for roads in the NY metro area. Buying new aftermarket wheels you'll know you are starting out true. If you go aftermarket, stick with a good brand and make sure the wheel centers are the right size (concentric?) to fit snug on the hub carriers. You don't want to rely on torqueing the lug bolts to get the wheel centered on the hub in my humble opinion.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #12

light, stiff, cheap. choose two.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
light, stiff, cheap. choose two.
Interesting . . .
Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
With used wheels it will always be difficult to determine how true they are vertically and horizontally. Some of the money you save on buying them may be spent getting them trued.
I've been thinking about exactly that. Seems you might want to even get a PPI on the wheels.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #15

17" vs 18" Wheels/Tires

As I'm looking into possibly getting 18" wheels for my new (to me) Boxster, I'm beginning to wonder if this is all worth it. Besides cosmetic appearance, how much of a performance/handling difference would I see? A little? A lot? I realize that it's somewhat subjective, but would it really be a big noticeable difference? I'd welcome your thoughts and impressions.

I've heard turn-in is noticeably better, but once you're in the turn, not much of a difference. Then there's also the issue of 18" (or 19" for that matter) wheels/tires being more susceptible to damage from potholes than would a smaller diameter wheel.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #16

the OZ wheels are very popular and I would guess very good quality;
I have one or possibly two pair of 18" wheels for sale; one set available here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1135354

as far as performance - less weight with 17" wheels/tires, but lower sidewall with 18" (theoretically better steering response) and maybe more tire choices
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #17

Garage
One size doesn't fit all. For track racing and performance I would stick with factory size. For looks maybe switch to 18" but you'll pay more for tire size and limited sizes in 18"; MPGs might decrease.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #18

FWIW I've got a set of OEM 17 inch Boxster II wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N3 tires in the OEM size and a set of 18 inch Lt. Alloy Carrera wheels also with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N3 tires in the OEM sizes. I weighed them and I think the fronts were about the same weight and the 18 inch rears were about a pound heavier. And on the street I can't really tell the difference between them. I've only used the 18's in the few HPDE's that I've done.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #19
Who's askin'?

Closest thread I can find to my question.
Do any of you know where I can find wheel weights?
Specifically: I have a complete set of both of these wheels, and I'd like to know how their weights compare.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #20
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
... Specifically: I have a complete set of both of these wheels, and I'd like to know how their weights compare. ...
So, you have them both right there? And you want us to weigh them for you? Do you want me to drive up there with a scale, or should I ship it?

(sometimes I look here: http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php)