Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #1

Anyone in Charlotte area that knows where to enable OBC?

I know my 986S has it but its not enabled. I just want to be able to see the outside temperature and while I insisted to my dealer again and again, even brought him instructions they did not do it.

Any aftermarket, TRUSTED Porsche place that could do it here in Charlotte, NC area?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 09-17-2006 at 08:22 PM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
aBsOLUT,

Are you talking about Hendrick Porsche? When you say "they did not do it" do you mean they don't know how to do it, or they just refused to do it?

I've been fortunate not to need any service from the dealership. I've had plenty of problems, but so far I've been able to take care of all of them myself thanks to all of the good information found on this site and others.

If something comes up that I can't handle, I plan on taking my car to PAS Automotive http://www.carcharlotte.com/shops/pas.html. They've worked on a Mercedes that I previously owned as well as a 944 I had years ago. I have no idea if they can help with your issue or not. The other option would be Porsche of Hickory, the next closest dealership to my knowledge.

Although I haven't had any service done at Hendrick, I know the parts crew rather well and have spent time in the service area. It is hard to imagine they can't activate your temperature function. What do they say? I would take the car back and ask them to do this one item and nothing else.

Let me know how it turns out.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #3

What year is your car? Depending on the year it could be enabled and still not display anything unless you run some wires.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #4

ddb,

Yes, Hendrick Porsche was the dealership I've been. Last time I tried was about 3-4 months ago so I am not quite sure yet about what they will do now.

I do not mean to put you into hassle but do you know the service people quite well enough to actually inform them about my car and if they can do it - a bit more personal rather than just showing up to the dealership.

Last time I went, I gave them the instructions and they took my car at the back for about 10 minutes only to come back and tell me it cannot be done.

Ukchris,

My car is a 2004 986S. I am not aware of the differences between the years regarding enabling the OBC.

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 09-17-2006 at 08:24 PM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:41 AM   #5

Even if it is on you will not see anything. The OBC "bible" is here JBs OBC Primer if you scroll down to the table you'll see that it is only on a 1997-2000 where you get the temperature display without doing any additional work.

On an 04 (as with my 03) you need to pop some wires in to th econnector on the back of the cluster. It isn't difficult, just make sure you get the tight wires. Order two of the "010 VW/Audi Wires" from Suncoast, they're about $3 each, cut each one in half and you have all you need for full OBC control.

If you only want the temperature you don't really need a switch even, you can just cycle it with the bare wires then tie them off. If you want control you can either add a dash switch (or two if you want to use the speed gong too) or use regular momentary switches from radio shack.

Chris.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #6

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1578

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10623&st=0&p=51902&#entry51902

I have also been told there is a bug in he current PIWIS software and it will not turn on. So the dealer will have to use an older PIWIS software version, or use a PST2.

Then, after all of that, if it is turned on you will not see anything on your year until you retrofit a switch or the stalk.

I watch when it is turned on for 2003-4. When the cluster coding has in fact been changed then the trip odometer resets to zero and you hear a gong sound from the instrument cluster.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 09-18-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #7

Not sure if you are up for a couple hour drive to get it done - but Leith Porsche in Cary will do it. www.leithporsche.com Chris is the service guy.

Don't know if it's a good deal or not, but they quoted me ~$210 for a new 4 stalk if you don't wanna mess with rocker switches or such. Not sure on the labor, but thought they quoted me an hour or two.

Or if you want to do it for a bit cheaper, I know one of the mechanics that just left the dealership and went to a private shop about 2 blocks away from the dealership. If you want their number, PM me and I will get the number when I go back to work tomorrow.