Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #1

Bmw Z2

I just saw pictures of this car in Automobile. Expected in 2008, to me it is just plain stunning.

Weighing in at about 2200 lbs.

Wow, the first one made will be in my garage.

Nice of them to bring back the Z3 for under $30K.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I just saw pictures of this car in Automobile. Expected in 2008, to me it is just plain stunning.

Weighing in at about 2200 lbs.

Wow, the first one made will be in my garage.

Nice of them to bring back the Z3 for under $30K.
No, it's not just you. It's definitely better looking than the Z4. They got rid of the strange swoops up front and replaced them with nice creases. Looks great from the side and the rear.

I'd certainly consider it - but I'll wait for the Z2 M thankyouverymuch! 300HP at around 2200 lbs? Ouch. It'll be like a shifter cart on steroids.....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #3

Talking

Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #4

Hi,

I dunno, the Z4 was supposed to be the car that the Z3 wasn't. Now, the Z2 is supposed to be the car that the Z4 isn't?

I fear that another entry into the already overcrowded two-seat Sports Car segment will only serve to further depreciation on the Boxster by increasing the depth of available choices, but I guess we'll have to see...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-13-2006 at 02:38 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #5

Now we're talking!

I really like the way the Z4 M drives and handles, but the front end of the car looks like ass. Not to mention it's price tag! And I really do not like any of the new BMW styles. They just keep getting bigger and uglier.

This car might just bring me back and get me excited again.... right now the only convertible that's even an option is my Box - something about the other cars just doesn't do it. Maybe this Z2 will change that, especially if there is a turbo'd 2.0L.... mmmmm
chiefsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #6

out of curiosity did a search and it is totally better than the Z4. Z4 = ugly, ugly car, only decent in black cause you can't see the lines.

In terms of eating into the boxster market, it only eats into the boxster's market if the person isn't in the market for a boxster. If you want a porsche you want the porsche, not a pontiac, saturn, miata, you either want a boxster or you don't.

That's just my take on it....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #7

"Weighing in at about 2200 lbs."

I googled the Z2. Looks nice. Says the expected weight is 2800 lbs, though. And it will only come with 4cyl engines -- including possibly a 300hp turbo one, on which they're still working. Not expected before 2010.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
"Weighing in at about 2200 lbs."

I googled the Z2. Looks nice. Says the expected weight is 2800 lbs, though. And it will only come with 4cyl engines -- including possibly a 300hp turbo one, on which they're still working. Not expected before 2010.
Automobile Magazine says under 2200 lbs.

BMW is doing all kinds of things to keep the weight down.

Or, so the article says.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
out of curiosity did a search and it is totally better than the Z4. Z4 = ugly, ugly car, only decent in black cause you can't see the lines.

In terms of eating into the boxster market, it only eats into the boxster's market if the person isn't in the market for a boxster. If you want a porsche you want the porsche, not a pontiac, saturn, miata, you either want a boxster or you don't.

That's just my take on it....
Hi,

Sorry but I have to disagree. Look at all the members who have stated that they looked at several other 2-seat drop tops before settling on the Boxster (such as the Z3, Z4, Miata, SL, etc.). And, we've only heard from those who actually settled on the Boxster, we don't know how many may have gone the other way. The number of buyers is limited, increase supply and the price will drop...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:10 AM   #10

Z2 - like the concept. Had to take a second look at the "renderings" by various artists, they looked like real photos.
Miata has it right at 2500 lbs. or so, hope BMW can come in under 2800.
The BMW plant is less than 2 hours from home, good for the local economy.
WRT more cars in a limited market chasing a finite number of buyers - it's certainly true to a degree, but I'm a firm believer in competition: as manufacturer's try to win the hearts and minds of the buyer, the products get better and better, and we the consumer/enthusiasts ultimately win. I'm glad that there is so much interest in "our" segment of the market (sports cars in general), to me that's a good thing.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:35 AM   #11

brucelee:
"Automobile Magazine says under 2200 lbs."

Here's what Car and Driver says. Don't mean to pit the articles against each other but 2200 lbs looks a bit too low to me.
http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/11537/2010-bmw-z2.html
"Unlike today’s Z4, which is powered exclusively by six-cylinder engines, the Z2 will only get four-cylinder power. However, those engines will range in strength from 150 horsepower in base versions all the way to a turbocharged 300-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder in the M-tuned version. An expected curb weight of 2800 pounds should allow the Z2 to make the most of that power. "

FWIW, I still like the current Boxster's body better. Not to mention the mid-engine.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #12

Dueling magazines.

Automobile states the target weight is 2139 and that the car actually will come with A/C as an option to save weight.

Go figure.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:24 AM   #13
KronixSpeed

Thumbs down

Id rather buy a Miata with 300h.p. That looks dumb a Z2. Only BMW would come up with another dumb looking sports car. I can't wait for the BMW Mini van, I want one of those in my garage. with big crease's all over the place. just hard lines everywhere ugly.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
KronixSpeed

the only credit that i will give bmw is that they make engines that roar in neutral...old M5 sickkkkk. n those xenon lights .....the cat eyes wow wow
Old 09-14-2006, 08:43 AM   #15

Under 2200lbs is right.
http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=12010
Talks about 970kg (= 2136lbs) vs 1080kg for the MX-5. The 300hp Z2 is going to be one fast MF.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
the only credit that i will give bmw is that they make engines that roar in neutral...old M5 sickkkkk. n those xenon lights .....the cat eyes wow wow

No one expects you give BMW credit. Fact is, they make great cars and make great gobs of money.

But, they are not for everyone, obviously.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #17

Kronix, I get the impression you hate BMW....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Sorry but I have to disagree. Look at all the members who have stated that they looked at several other 2-seat drop tops before settling on the Boxster (such as the Z3, Z4, Miata, SL, etc.). And, we've only heard from those who actually settled on the Boxster, we don't know how many may have gone the other way. The number of buyers is limited, increase supply and the price will drop...

MN,

your point is taken but I still have to disagree. Most members that are considering the other vehicles are looking at used boxsters which would definitely make a new convertible at 30 K an option versus a used convertible at 30K. Porsche has marketing people and they know who they target as do all the car companies. I read the article on the Z2 and BMW stated this car is to compete at the entry level with the Miata, Solstice and such forth, never mentioned the boxster. When I considered the boxster, I looked at 2 other cars, the Z4 sitting 20 feet away and SLK sitting 40 feet away....btw there was a honda dealer 10 feet away and never once did the S2000 cross my mind. I'm not their target market. So Porshe know there are people sadly like me who will pay a premium to have a car that just isn't as common, that gives me a great feeling to drive, that in a way symbolizes accomplishment. Yes it very mateialistic but any one who owns a boxster could have bought a VW Bug vert but would you feel the same. That's their market. If you have the roughly 45K you need to get into the base, but decided on a more practical solution, well I really don't think Porsche is interested in marketing practicality....but that's just my .02
Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 AM   #18

I have to agree with super66. The Porsche really is a status symbol, and as such is marketed to certain individuals. Not the same group of people who would typically buy a Miata or S2000 (albeit most probably over their head on what they could afford). There's a reason a new Porsche is $50k+... It's not so much that you are getting that much more in performance (which seems like the only thing most people look at, and ignore the styling of the car), but you're certainly getting more in status symbol. It's like buying a VW Toureg vs a Porsche Cayenne. Almost the same SUV, but the Porsche is marketed at that higher bracket.

For me, styling really has a lot to do with it. My other car right now is a VW R32 (supercharged). I'd buy that any day of the week over the STI, Mitsu EVO, or any other cars that are made to compete with it. Because even though in stock form the VW doesn't perform like the others do, at least it doesn't look like ass. And that means a lot.
chiefsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsalami
at least it doesn't look like ass. And that means a lot.
amen to all you said chief but especially the quote above. The WRX, ugly, the S2000 looks like a straight up shoe, the Z4 ugly, the solstice gimicky, can you say crossfire, PT cruiser, Prowler, cars of the moment.....but no staying power.....

The porsche looks great...all around great....now the Z2 is an improvement on the Z4, but my only concern is it looks like it might be really small, and real little convertibles like the MR2 spyder I just saw over lunch tend to be better for a nice blonde to drive...

Now if I could only quit liking the miata so damn much!

but Z2 looks good, even Kronix has to admitt
Old 09-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #20

"Now if I could only quit liking the miata so damn much!"

For what it is, the miata is a great little car.