Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"Now if I could only quit liking the miata so damn much!"

For what it is, the miata is a great little car.
Hi,

I'm about 99% there toward trading my Boxster for an '07 MX-5 w/ retractable top (does not take up any trunk space).

I could care less about prestige, status or bling, I don't need PORSCHE on the hood badge to feel good about myself. A Miata can give me the performance of the Boxster with very little modification. But, it's reliable, cheap to maintain, and just as much fun.

Going to a Dealer this weekend and if they have one, I'll see what I get in trade, if it's good enough, I'm gone, no regrets about owning the Boxster or losing it... it's just another in a long line of cars for me...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-15-2006 at 09:15 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
Kronix, I get the impression you hate BMW....lol

MN,

your point is taken but I still have to disagree. Most members that are considering the other vehicles are looking at used boxsters which would definitely make a new convertible at 30 K an option versus a used convertible at 30K. Porsche has marketing people and they know who they target as do all the car companies. I read the article on the Z2 and BMW stated this car is to compete at the entry level with the Miata, Solstice and such forth, never mentioned the boxster. When I considered the boxster, I looked at 2 other cars, the Z4 sitting 20 feet away and SLK sitting 40 feet away....btw there was a honda dealer 10 feet away and never once did the S2000 cross my mind. I'm not their target market. So Porshe know there are people sadly like me who will pay a premium to have a car that just isn't as common, that gives me a great feeling to drive, that in a way symbolizes accomplishment. Yes it very mateialistic but any one who owns a boxster could have bought a VW Bug vert but would you feel the same. That's their market. If you have the roughly 45K you need to get into the base, but decided on a more practical solution, well I really don't think Porsche is interested in marketing practicality....but that's just my .02
Your first line says that the point is taken, but it's obviously not. MN's point is that this car will decrease the value of "our cars" meaning used boxsters. Our cars are roadsters in the $25K-$40K price rance, and so are the 350Z, S2k, miata, Z2, etc. You make a good point that Porsche marketing has its act together, but his concern is the value of our cars years from now. If potential buyers can choose between a new Z2 and a used Boxster, than there is competition, which decreses value.
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:23 AM   #23

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I'm about 99% there toward trading my Boxster for an '07 MX-5 w/ retractable top (does not take up any trunk space).

I could care less about prestige, status or bling, I don't need PORSCHE on the hood badge to feel good about myself. A Miata can give me the performance of the Boxster with very little modification. But, it's reliable, cheap to maintain, and just as much fun.

Going to a Dealer this weekend and if they have one, I'll see what I get in trade, if it's good enough, I'm gone, no regrets about owning the Boxster or losing it... it's just another in a long line of cars for me...

You may want to chat with my co-owner of the site, RKWEI. Richard has one fast Miata, Turbo and all. Frankly, it is scary fun to drive.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #24

retractable hard tops is all the rage now I see. But for the Miata I think its not so good. That car really is not the safest option in winter weather. It's no match for an SUV from a side impact. If I had a wifey I would not allow her to drive such a car for daily use. I see that strictly as a Sunday driver. The Boxster is no winter car either but its crash worthyness seem way better,

anyhoo had my Miata for what was supposed to be one year and quickly turned into 5 happy years (except for that unerving 2nd gen motor lifter tap). The BoxsterS is not as much fun to drive as that old Japnase sardine can. The closest thing to a kart I've ever driven (never driven an elise).

Speaking of Elise I looked at that Z2 article and they are striving for barebones weight barely above 2 tons with an S model at 250HP and the M at 300 HP.
I'd hold off on that 07 Miata with retractable hard top the Z2 may beat the Miata at its own nimble/light weight game (granted at a much highr cost)\.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtch
Your first line says that the point is taken, but it's obviously not. MN's point is that this car will decrease the value of "our cars" meaning used boxsters. Our cars are roadsters in the $25K-$40K price rance, and so are the 350Z, S2k, miata, Z2, etc. You make a good point that Porsche marketing has its act together, but his concern is the value of our cars years from now. If potential buyers can choose between a new Z2 and a used Boxster, than there is competition, which decreses value.
I know Bruce, I am a sucker for the Miata....and mtch....the point is taken, but I don't think it concerns porsche. I mean the value of your used car is your concern. So the mindset is if someone is in the market for a porsche, they are buying a porsche...and if the demand is less and it means less on the road then better for me because I'll draw that many more looks. This argument can be made for just about ANY car. Especially if you are worried about a 99 or 2000 model, generally newer cars have more features, more power, more desirable traits. Previous models suffer, that's just common sense. I mean is porsche to dump more powerful engines in the cars of everyone who bought a used boxster so they can have a better value?

So if you are going to make an investment into a vehicle, make sure you get it how you want and its exactly what you want because to argue that a car is a good investment that holds it value, well we should all know better by now.
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Jim,

So, are you still a Boxster owner or are you now a Miata owner ?

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Jim,

So, are you still a Boxster owner or are you now a Miata owner ?
Hi,

Actually, my plans were waylaid and I didn't get to a Dealer. Mrs. MNBoxster's company had bid on the 2007 President's Cup Tourney to be held in Montreal next September (she did the '05 President's Cup in Mannassas/ Wash. DC).

The contract was initially given to a Canadian company (who does the F1 catering) and after meeting with the PGA, the PGA decided they weren't up to the task, so in a surprise move, the contract was recinded and given to my wife's company instead.

So, she had to fly to Montreal to meet with the Tournament Committeee there and get things started. We were married and honeymooned in Montreal, so we decided to go together and left Sat. am.

She's in meetings 'til Wed. and we'll spend the rest of the week playing in one of our favorite cities. I'll be back home late Sunday, so maybe that week I can get to a Dealership and make my comparisons and decide...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote