Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #21

I think a bigger issue other than brand is that you are going to put a totally different tire on the rear that is new, vs an old different tire on the front. 4yrs is getting close to “old” in terms of rubber and I’m not so sure putting new with old is the best option. Boxsters do eat rear tires, but there is a point where the whole set needs to be done. Where you are with tire age, I’d put the Federals all the way around most likely.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #22
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
....... Where you are with tire age, I’d put the Federals all the way around most likely.
Plus 1

I'd do all 4 of them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #23
Racer Boy

At least if PD replaces just the rears, it will understeer, not oversteer in any kind of dramatic driving situation. Understeer is safer than oversteer for 99% of drivers.

My Boxster had Federals on it when I bought it, and they seemed to be just fine, especially for anything you might be doing for street driving. They worked very well in the rain. I did replace them (which was hard because they only had a few hundred miles on them) with much higher performance tires because I was going to be doing track days, and wanted something that was more biased towards that.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #24

For my DD street set, I use Firehawk Indy 500s. I did a lot of research and concluded that performance/cost was excellent for these. They are also good in the dry/wet for HPDE. However, I've had vibration issues and had the wheels/tires checked a couple times by a very reputable shop. Roadforce was 32 lbs on left rear and about 15 on the rest. They said the tire was bad and the others borderline. Might have to return under warranty.

For my HPDE set, I use Federal 595 RSR after a recommendation from my Indie shop. I'm on my second set now and I can say they are good tires for the dry track, and again, performance/price is hard to beat (~$400 for the set). Pretty similar to R-Comps, they don't communicate much until they break loose. I can get 2 sets of these vs Nitto NT01s.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 09-12-2018 at 08:43 AM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #25
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
For what it's worth, both of my P-Cars are on Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s. I would age-out the Michelins before I'd wear them out, and the Hankooks have been giving me a great experience so far (second full set on the Boxster, had done one set of rears in between). My Box had Michelin PS2s on it when I got it (low on tread), and I replaced them with PS A/S3 (no idea why...).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
For what it's worth, both of my P-Cars are on Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s. I would age-out the Michelins before I'd wear them out, and the Hankooks have been giving me a great experience so far (second full set on the Boxster, had done one set of rears in between). My Box had Michelin PS2s on it when I got it (low on tread), and I replaced them with PS A/S3 (no idea why...).
I have to second the Ventus V12’s. Mine are done, but have been good tires. I am going to go with the Sumitomo’s in the spring.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Plus 1

I'd do all 4 of them.

Have decided to go that route, tires are approaching 5 years old....total cost of 4 Federal will be less than $360 ....that leaves room for mounting, balance and 4 wherl alignment....thanks everyone
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #28
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Have decided to go that route, tires are approaching 5 years old....total cost of 4 Federal will be less than $360 ....that leaves room for mounting, balance and 4 wherl alignment....thanks everyone
For what it's worth, if you buy Federal tires on Walmart.com, Walmart will Mount and balance for free.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote