Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Pdwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,076
A question about Federal tires

Well with my summer repairs I found my rear tires to be in terrible condition on the very inside. Quite honestly with all that's going on right I cannot afford a new set of Pilots like I would prefer. My front tires still have a good deep tread. I found some tires on ebay for 99 each and was curious about the brand "Federal"

I do not track this car, just casual driving....also the size on my car now (and for last 4 years) is 265 35 ZR18 , the ebay parts application says these tires will not fit my car for the rear ?? ( 01 S)

Thanks for the input in advance

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Buying tires on ebay...yikes. look, I understand I'm not in your position, but tires are something you simply can't skimp on. There are only 4 points where your car touches the ground...you have to have good tires.

My recommendation, either grab a pair of rear pilots to match your fronts and leave the fronts on. I cant imagine it would be terribly overpriced if you did tire rack or similar. Or, look at sumitumo zIIIs. That's what I have on mine. They were about as cheap as your ebay tires and a lot of guys like them. They also wear better than the pilots (rating wise).
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 5,953
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Buying tires on ebay...yikes. look, I understand I'm not in your position, but tires are something you simply can't skimp on. There are only 4 points where your car touches the ground...you have to have good tires.

My recommendation, either grab a pair of rear pilots to match your fronts and leave the fronts on. I cant imagine it would be terribly overpriced if you did tire rack or similar. Or, look at sumitumo zIIIs. That's what I have on mine. They were about as cheap as your ebay tires and a lot of guys like them. They also wear better than the pilots (rating wise).
You do realize that a lot of major retailers sell on eBay, right? Just because it's on eBay doesn't mean it's automatically lower quality.

I have been running Sumitomo HTR ZIII for a few years and like them a lot. You can't beat the price, either.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 494
Try Walmart and see what they have. You're obviously looking for something cheap, that's black, round, and fits your car. Walmart or Discount Tire can provide service after the sale. I have Riken tires from Tire Rack--less than $400 for a set, they are decent (cover all the requirements I've listed,) and are manufactured by Michelin in Indonesia.
__________________
2001 Boxster
2007 Toyota Highlander
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You do realize that a lot of major retailers sell on eBay, right? Just because it's on eBay doesn't mean it's automatically lower quality.

I have been running Sumitomo HTR ZIII for a few years and like them a lot. You can't beat the price, either.
Let me clarify. Buying no name ebay tires. Unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't put "federal" in the the high quality category. My point was, it's one thing to put a Chinese ebay muffler on your car, it's another to make that same decision with tires. May end up costing you a lot more in the long run.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
Porsche Purist
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,062
Garage
Another issue with the federals might be that they are not XL (extra load) rated which I believe our cars require for rear tires.
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster bought new. Installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S . 2002 996TT. PST2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Have driven them all the way the Dr intended...
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,406
Y'all are killing me here.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #8
MWS
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 410
As an FYI, I saw these listed the other day:

For Sale: Set of 17 Inch S Wheels with New Tires - $500.00

I almost responded, but I really don't want another set of identical rims.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:28 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 1,137
For the purposes that PD states I see no problem going with a lesser known tire manufacturer . As just a weekend toy with no track time he should be fine . I am currently running Sumitomo HTR's and I like them just as much as the Continental's that came off the car . I would recommend you go to your local tire dealers and see what they have to offer , you might be surprised . Most places will sell a good/better/best and you pick what you can afford . Plus you establish a relationship for future purchases .
__________________
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Well with my summer repairs I found my rear tires to be in terrible condition on the very inside. Quite honestly with all that's going on right I cannot afford a new set of Pilots like I would prefer. My front tires still have a good deep tread. I found some tires on ebay for 99 each and was curious about the brand "Federal"

I do not track this car, just casual driving....also the size on my car now (and for last 4 years) is 265 35 ZR18 , the ebay parts application says these tires will not fit my car for the rear ?? ( 01 S)

Thanks for the input in advance

Dwight

I use Federal 595 RS-R as my trackday rubber and I am very happy with them.
225/265-18.
Also have used them a lot on the road this summer and they are suitable for this as well. But watch out in wet conditions - very slippery.
But on dry tarmac they really stick all the way - a comforting feeling.
A cheapish alternative for non pro drivers.
__________________
2003 Boxster S
Seal Grey
Bruich10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 146
the firestone firehawk indy 500's are quite good and very affordable. I got a whole set of 4 this summer with a $70 rebate for $472.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
the firestone firehawk indy 500's are quite good and very affordable. I got a whole set of 4 this summer with a $70 rebate for $472.


+1 Very reasonable
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,255
Hello Dwight,

As already mentioned, all that is supporting your car on the road is the four contact patches that are the size of your palm, IMHO, you could be putting your car (and yourself) on harms way, specially on a wet road. I noticed that when the rear tires are worn the end is no longer stable..

However, many of us are on a day to day struggle to meet ends, and having four cars on the house does not help much, and as you know tires are not cheap..

A few years ago I needed tires (with no cash flow..) and the local 'Just Tires' offered a Good Year credit card that offers 6 months No interest, so as long as you pay the balance within six months you are free to go.

Needless to say, my tire bill never ends because as as soon as I end paying tires on one car there is always another one on the queue..

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #14
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,406
c'mon you guys.... there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Federal Tires. BEST? Not by a long shot. But to suggest that somehow you need Michelins or Pirellis or something for normal driving is just bosh. (jdraupp, I'm talking to you)

I'm usually a Michelin guy, myself, because Michelin gave me a seeming never-ending supply of tires when I was racing superbikes. So, loyalty and all that. But right now I'm running a set of Federal 595-RS-RR on my spare wheels for track use, and they are perfectly serviceable.

Look, PDwight: buy the tires you can afford, or rationalize. Make sure you've always got adequate tread to shed water... but I don't care if that tread is American, French, Italian or Chinese: It'll be just fine.

When you start feeling like the tire you've got isn't up to the driving you;re doing, then maybe it's time to start looking at an upgrade. But until then, don't sweat it.

(For the record: if this were a sportbike forum, my advice would be very different. For what should be very obvious reasons)
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #15
Racer Boy
 
Racer Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 702
I'm with Maytag on this.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
c'mon you guys.... there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Federal Tires. BEST? Not by a long shot. But to suggest that somehow you need Michelins or Pirellis or something for normal driving is just bosh. (jdraupp, I'm talking to you)

I'm usually a Michelin guy, myself, because Michelin gave me a seeming never-ending supply of tires when I was racing superbikes. So, loyalty and all that. But right now I'm running a set of Federal 595-RS-RR on my spare wheels for track use, and they are perfectly serviceable.

Look, PDwight: buy the tires you can afford, or rationalize. Make sure you've always got adequate tread to shed water... but I don't care if that tread is American, French, Italian or Chinese: It'll be just fine.

When you start feeling like the tire you've got isn't up to the driving you;re doing, then maybe it's time to start looking at an upgrade. But until then, don't sweat it.

(For the record: if this were a sportbike forum, my advice would be very different. For what should be very obvious reasons)
Where in my post did I state that? I challenge you to find it.

If you examine a little closer, you'll see that I myself run sumitumo tires on my boxster and I'd hardly call them high quality or expensive. However, I did quite a bit of research both through road test reviews, published statistics and personal testimony. I also bought them from tire rack that did plenty of their own research.

I recommended a pair of rear pilots because that's what he said he had on the fronts and they were in good shape. Mismatching tires is not a good way to go.

If the federals have good reviews then go for them. At the end of the day it's your car and your butt in the seat. But don't put words in my mouth.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
the firestone firehawk indy 500's are quite good and very affordable. I got a whole set of 4 this summer with a $70 rebate for $472.
+1 Exactly what I did. Tires are fine for probably everything you would want in DD tire.
__________________
2004 996 40th Anniversary
VeryRed997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #18
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Where in my post did I state that? I challenge you to find it.

If you examine a little closer, you'll see that I myself run sumitumo tires on my boxster and I'd hardly call them high quality or expensive. However, I did quite a bit of research both through road test reviews, published statistics and personal testimony. I also bought them from tire rack that did plenty of their own research.

I recommended a pair of rear pilots because that's what he said he had on the fronts and they were in good shape. Mismatching tires is not a good way to go.

If the federals have good reviews then go for them. At the end of the day it's your car and your butt in the seat. But don't put words in my mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Buying tires on ebay...yikes. look, I understand I'm not in your position, but tires are something you simply can't skimp on. There are only 4 points where your car touches the ground...you have to have good tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
...Unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't put "federal" in the the high quality category. My point was, it's one thing to put a Chinese ebay muffler on your car, it's another to make that same decision with tires. May end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

Hmmm.... I may owe you an apology. I took the aggregate of what I was reading in your posts, and thought I understood what you were saying. Now, as you challenge that, I realize there were other ways to read your comments. My apologies. I'll make no excuses; my bad entirely.

Truly, JDraupp, I'm sorry.
I so often on this forum find commenters trying to squeeze the fun out of these cars by throwing wet blankets on the guys who can afford to do "good enough", but not "best". This looked to be one of those times, and it appears I jumped to the wrong conclusion.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Hmmm.... I may owe you an apology. I took the aggregate of what I was reading in your posts, and thought I understood what you were saying. Now, as you challenge that, I realize there were other ways to read your comments. My apologies. I'll make no excuses; my bad entirely.

Truly, JDraupp, I'm sorry.
I so often on this forum find commenters trying to squeeze the fun out of these cars by throwing wet blankets on the guys who can afford to do "good enough", but not "best". This looked to be one of those times, and it appears I jumped to the wrong conclusion.
No problem. Believe me I'm not the type that needs to have every part in the porsche box and only the OEM recommendations, I just think having a good set of matching tires is important. How good is up to the user. But from my experience, buying something untested may end up causing you to buy it twice. If federal works well and it lasts, then I'll consider it next time I'm in the market. I went with the sumis partially because the wear rating was a touch higher than some of the other stuff I found. Bang for buck is the key term.

Tires, oil, IMS. Three incideniary topics on this forum.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Pdwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,076
Thanks Maytag

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
c'mon you guys.... there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Federal Tires. BEST? Not by a long shot. But to suggest that somehow you need Michelins or Pirellis or something for normal driving is just bosh. (jdraupp, I'm talking to you)

I'm usually a Michelin guy, myself, because Michelin gave me a seeming never-ending supply of tires when I was racing superbikes. So, loyalty and all that. But right now I'm running a set of Federal 595-RS-RR on my spare wheels for track use, and they are perfectly serviceable.

Look, PDwight: buy the tires you can afford, or rationalize. Make sure you've always got adequate tread to shed water... but I don't care if that tread is American, French, Italian or Chinese: It'll be just fine.

When you start feeling like the tire you've got isn't up to the driving you;re doing, then maybe it's time to start looking at an upgrade. But until then, don't sweat it.

(For the record: if this were a sportbike forum, my advice would be very different. For what should be very obvious reasons)
I was just looking for a little feedback, had researched the tires and I have now ordered two for the rear. I think these will do fine for DD until I buy a new complete set...about to be tucked in for the winter anyway. BTW there are much cheaper priced tires than these that look great but I could find nothing on actual reviews.

Now for the Water Pump and OAS as soon as parts arrive and I get some time.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page