986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   A question about Federal tires (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73226-question-about-federal-tires.html)

Pdwight 09-09-2018 02:47 PM

A question about Federal tires

Well with my summer repairs I found my rear tires to be in terrible condition on the very inside. Quite honestly with all that's going on right I cannot afford a new set of Pilots like I would prefer. My front tires still have a good deep tread. I found some tires on ebay for 99 each and was curious about the brand "Federal"

I do not track this car, just casual driving....also the size on my car now (and for last 4 years) is 265 35 ZR18 , the ebay parts application says these tires will not fit my car for the rear ?? ( 01 S)

Thanks for the input in advance

Dwight

jdraupp 09-09-2018 02:53 PM

Buying tires on ebay...yikes. look, I understand I'm not in your position, but tires are something you simply can't skimp on. There are only 4 points where your car touches the ground...you have to have good tires.

My recommendation, either grab a pair of rear pilots to match your fronts and leave the fronts on. I cant imagine it would be terribly overpriced if you did tire rack or similar. Or, look at sumitumo zIIIs. That's what I have on mine. They were about as cheap as your ebay tires and a lot of guys like them. They also wear better than the pilots (rating wise).

particlewave 09-09-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 578969)
Buying tires on ebay...yikes. look, I understand I'm not in your position, but tires are something you simply can't skimp on. There are only 4 points where your car touches the ground...you have to have good tires.

My recommendation, either grab a pair of rear pilots to match your fronts and leave the fronts on. I cant imagine it would be terribly overpriced if you did tire rack or similar. Or, look at sumitumo zIIIs. That's what I have on mine. They were about as cheap as your ebay tires and a lot of guys like them. They also wear better than the pilots (rating wise).

You do realize that a lot of major retailers sell on eBay, right? Just because it's on eBay doesn't mean it's automatically lower quality. :rolleyes:

I have been running Sumitomo HTR ZIII for a few years and like them a lot. You can't beat the price, either. ;)

Brian in Tucson 09-09-2018 03:27 PM

Try Walmart and see what they have. You're obviously looking for something cheap, that's black, round, and fits your car. Walmart or Discount Tire can provide service after the sale. I have Riken tires from Tire Rack--less than $400 for a set, they are decent (cover all the requirements I've listed,) and are manufactured by Michelin in Indonesia.

jdraupp 09-09-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 578972)
You do realize that a lot of major retailers sell on eBay, right? Just because it's on eBay doesn't mean it's automatically lower quality. :rolleyes:

I have been running Sumitomo HTR ZIII for a few years and like them a lot. You can't beat the price, either. ;)

Let me clarify. Buying no name ebay tires. Unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't put "federal" in the the high quality category. My point was, it's one thing to put a Chinese ebay muffler on your car, it's another to make that same decision with tires. May end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

Paul 09-09-2018 04:16 PM

Another issue with the federals might be that they are not XL (extra load) rated which I believe our cars require for rear tires.

maytag 09-09-2018 05:19 PM

Y'all are killing me here.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

MWS 09-09-2018 09:23 PM

As an FYI, I saw these listed the other day:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/73197-sale-set-17-inch-%93s%94-wheels-new-tires-%24500-00-a.html

I almost responded, but I really don't want another set of identical rims.

rfuerst911sc 09-10-2018 03:28 AM

For the purposes that PD states I see no problem going with a lesser known tire manufacturer . As just a weekend toy with no track time he should be fine . I am currently running Sumitomo HTR's and I like them just as much as the Continental's that came off the car . I would recommend you go to your local tire dealers and see what they have to offer , you might be surprised . Most places will sell a good/better/best and you pick what you can afford . Plus you establish a relationship for future purchases .

Bruich10 09-10-2018 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 578968)
Well with my summer repairs I found my rear tires to be in terrible condition on the very inside. Quite honestly with all that's going on right I cannot afford a new set of Pilots like I would prefer. My front tires still have a good deep tread. I found some tires on ebay for 99 each and was curious about the brand "Federal"

I do not track this car, just casual driving....also the size on my car now (and for last 4 years) is 265 35 ZR18 , the ebay parts application says these tires will not fit my car for the rear ?? ( 01 S)

Thanks for the input in advance

Dwight

I use Federal 595 RS-R as my trackday rubber and I am very happy with them.
225/265-18.
Also have used them a lot on the road this summer and they are suitable for this as well. But watch out in wet conditions - very slippery.
But on dry tarmac they really stick all the way - a comforting feeling.
A cheapish alternative for non pro drivers.

dav9515 09-10-2018 05:12 AM

the firestone firehawk indy 500's are quite good and very affordable. I got a whole set of 4 this summer with a $70 rebate for $472.

azlvr 09-10-2018 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav9515 (Post 579022)
the firestone firehawk indy 500's are quite good and very affordable. I got a whole set of 4 this summer with a $70 rebate for $472.

+1 Very reasonable

Gilles 09-10-2018 05:58 AM

Hello Dwight,

As already mentioned, all that is supporting your car on the road is the four contact patches that are the size of your palm, IMHO, you could be putting your car (and yourself) on harms way, specially on a wet road. I noticed that when the rear tires are worn the end is no longer stable..

However, many of us are :( on a day to day struggle to meet ends, and having four cars on the house does not help much, and as you know tires are not cheap..

A few years ago I needed tires (with no cash flow..) and the local 'Just Tires' offered a Good Year credit card that offers 6 months No interest, so as long as you pay the balance within six months you are free to go.

Needless to say, my tire bill never ends because as as soon as I end paying tires on one car there is always another one on the queue.. :p

Good luck!

maytag 09-10-2018 06:14 AM

c'mon you guys.... there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Federal Tires. BEST? Not by a long shot. But to suggest that somehow you need Michelins or Pirellis or something for normal driving is just bosh. (jdraupp, I'm talking to you)

I'm usually a Michelin guy, myself, because Michelin gave me a seeming never-ending supply of tires when I was racing superbikes. So, loyalty and all that. But right now I'm running a set of Federal 595-RS-RR on my spare wheels for track use, and they are perfectly serviceable.

Look, PDwight: buy the tires you can afford, or rationalize. Make sure you've always got adequate tread to shed water... but I don't care if that tread is American, French, Italian or Chinese: It'll be just fine.

When you start feeling like the tire you've got isn't up to the driving you;re doing, then maybe it's time to start looking at an upgrade. But until then, don't sweat it.

(For the record: if this were a sportbike forum, my advice would be very different. For what should be very obvious reasons)

Racer Boy 09-10-2018 06:38 AM

I'm with Maytag on this.

jdraupp 09-10-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 579026)
c'mon you guys.... there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Federal Tires. BEST? Not by a long shot. But to suggest that somehow you need Michelins or Pirellis or something for normal driving is just bosh. (jdraupp, I'm talking to you)

I'm usually a Michelin guy, myself, because Michelin gave me a seeming never-ending supply of tires when I was racing superbikes. So, loyalty and all that. But right now I'm running a set of Federal 595-RS-RR on my spare wheels for track use, and they are perfectly serviceable.

Look, PDwight: buy the tires you can afford, or rationalize. Make sure you've always got adequate tread to shed water... but I don't care if that tread is American, French, Italian or Chinese: It'll be just fine.

When you start feeling like the tire you've got isn't up to the driving you;re doing, then maybe it's time to start looking at an upgrade. But until then, don't sweat it.

(For the record: if this were a sportbike forum, my advice would be very different. For what should be very obvious reasons)

Where in my post did I state that? I challenge you to find it.

If you examine a little closer, you'll see that I myself run sumitumo tires on my boxster and I'd hardly call them high quality or expensive. However, I did quite a bit of research both through road test reviews, published statistics and personal testimony. I also bought them from tire rack that did plenty of their own research.

I recommended a pair of rear pilots because that's what he said he had on the fronts and they were in good shape. Mismatching tires is not a good way to go.

If the federals have good reviews then go for them. At the end of the day it's your car and your butt in the seat. But don't put words in my mouth.

VeryRed997 09-10-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav9515 (Post 579022)

+1 Exactly what I did. Tires are fine for probably everything you would want in DD tire.

maytag 09-10-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 579031)
Where in my post did I state that? I challenge you to find it.

If you examine a little closer, you'll see that I myself run sumitumo tires on my boxster and I'd hardly call them high quality or expensive. However, I did quite a bit of research both through road test reviews, published statistics and personal testimony. I also bought them from tire rack that did plenty of their own research.

I recommended a pair of rear pilots because that's what he said he had on the fronts and they were in good shape. Mismatching tires is not a good way to go.

If the federals have good reviews then go for them. At the end of the day it's your car and your butt in the seat. But don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:

Quote:

...Unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't put "federal" in the the high quality category. My point was, it's one thing to put a Chinese ebay muffler on your car, it's another to make that same decision with tires. May end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

Hmmm.... I may owe you an apology. I took the aggregate of what I was reading in your posts, and thought I understood what you were saying. Now, as you challenge that, I realize there were other ways to read your comments. My apologies. I'll make no excuses; my bad entirely.

Truly, JDraupp, I'm sorry.
I so often on this forum find commenters trying to squeeze the fun out of these cars by throwing wet blankets on the guys who can afford to do "good enough", but not "best". This looked to be one of those times, and it appears I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

jdraupp 09-10-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 579034)
Hmmm.... I may owe you an apology. I took the aggregate of what I was reading in your posts, and thought I understood what you were saying. Now, as you challenge that, I realize there were other ways to read your comments. My apologies. I'll make no excuses; my bad entirely.

Truly, JDraupp, I'm sorry.
I so often on this forum find commenters trying to squeeze the fun out of these cars by throwing wet blankets on the guys who can afford to do "good enough", but not "best". This looked to be one of those times, and it appears I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

No problem. Believe me I'm not the type that needs to have every part in the porsche box and only the OEM recommendations, I just think having a good set of matching tires is important. How good is up to the user. But from my experience, buying something untested may end up causing you to buy it twice. If federal works well and it lasts, then I'll consider it next time I'm in the market. I went with the sumis partially because the wear rating was a touch higher than some of the other stuff I found. Bang for buck is the key term.

Tires, oil, IMS. Three incideniary topics on this forum.

Pdwight 09-11-2018 09:18 PM

Thanks Maytag

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 579026)

I was just looking for a little feedback, had researched the tires and I have now ordered two for the rear. I think these will do fine for DD until I buy a new complete set...about to be tucked in for the winter anyway. BTW there are much cheaper priced tires than these that look great but I could find nothing on actual reviews.

Now for the Water Pump and OAS as soon as parts arrive and I get some time.