986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   A question about Federal tires (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73226-question-about-federal-tires.html)

Geof3 09-11-2018 11:25 PM

I think a bigger issue other than brand is that you are going to put a totally different tire on the rear that is new, vs an old different tire on the front. 4yrs is getting close to “old” in terms of rubber and I’m not so sure putting new with old is the best option. Boxsters do eat rear tires, but there is a point where the whole set needs to be done. Where you are with tire age, I’d put the Federals all the way around most likely.

maytag 09-12-2018 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 579132)
....... Where you are with tire age, I’d put the Federals all the way around most likely.

Plus 1

I'd do all 4 of them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Racer Boy 09-12-2018 07:09 AM

At least if PD replaces just the rears, it will understeer, not oversteer in any kind of dramatic driving situation. Understeer is safer than oversteer for 99% of drivers.

My Boxster had Federals on it when I bought it, and they seemed to be just fine, especially for anything you might be doing for street driving. They worked very well in the rain. I did replace them (which was hard because they only had a few hundred miles on them) with much higher performance tires because I was going to be doing track days, and wanted something that was more biased towards that.

AZ986S 09-12-2018 08:40 AM

For my DD street set, I use Firehawk Indy 500s. I did a lot of research and concluded that performance/cost was excellent for these. They are also good in the dry/wet for HPDE. However, I've had vibration issues and had the wheels/tires checked a couple times by a very reputable shop. Roadforce was 32 lbs on left rear and about 15 on the rest. They said the tire was bad and the others borderline. Might have to return under warranty.

For my HPDE set, I use Federal 595 RSR after a recommendation from my Indie shop. I'm on my second set now and I can say they are good tires for the dry track, and again, performance/price is hard to beat (~$400 for the set). Pretty similar to R-Comps, they don't communicate much until they break loose. I can get 2 sets of these vs Nitto NT01s.

Deserion 09-12-2018 07:08 PM

For what it's worth, both of my P-Cars are on Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s. I would age-out the Michelins before I'd wear them out, and the Hankooks have been giving me a great experience so far (second full set on the Boxster, had done one set of rears in between). My Box had Michelin PS2s on it when I got it (low on tread), and I replaced them with PS A/S3 (no idea why...).

Geof3 09-12-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 579213)
For what it's worth, both of my P-Cars are on Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s. I would age-out the Michelins before I'd wear them out, and the Hankooks have been giving me a great experience so far (second full set on the Boxster, had done one set of rears in between). My Box had Michelin PS2s on it when I got it (low on tread), and I replaced them with PS A/S3 (no idea why...).

I have to second the Ventus V12’s. Mine are done, but have been good tires. I am going to go with the Sumitomo’s in the spring.

Pdwight 09-13-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 579134)
Plus 1

I'd do all 4 of them.

Have decided to go that route, tires are approaching 5 years old....total cost of 4 Federal will be less than $360 ....that leaves room for mounting, balance and 4 wherl alignment....thanks everyone

maytag 09-13-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 579250)
Have decided to go that route, tires are approaching 5 years old....total cost of 4 Federal will be less than $360 ....that leaves room for mounting, balance and 4 wherl alignment....thanks everyone

For what it's worth, if you buy Federal tires on Walmart.com, Walmart will Mount and balance for free.