Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #1

Garage
Top Repair

A couple of weeks ago I started a thread asking about my top, but didn't have photos. I've got a little more info now and would like some more advice.... If you can see, the "connector rod" to the clam shell ball broke off (right side). I was hoping it would be an easy fix with a $50 part, but stopped by my indy shop yesterday (Doc's in Columbia, SC). I mentioned in my previous post that my clamshell was not sitting flush on the left side. Without pictures, I had replies suggesting it was warped. The mechanic yesterday, without taking a hard look, said it was likely a broken cable on one side preventing it from being flush. That changed my $50 job into a $1200 job. They are pretty good at Doc's, but this was just a quick assessment without really looking at it. I thought I'd post this info again with pictures and ask again before committing my wallet.....

Last edited by samg1965; 06-15-2018 at 02:58 PM.
samg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg1965 View Post
A couple of weeks ago I started a thread asking about my top, but didn't have photos. I've got a little more info now and would like some more advice.... If you can see, the "connector rod" to the clam shell ball broke off (right side). I was hoping it would be an easy fix with a $50 part, but stopped by my indy shop yesterday at Doc's in Columbia, SC. I mentioned in my previous post that my clamshell was not sitting flush on the left side. without pictures, I had replies suggesting it was warped. The mechanic yesterday without taking a hard look said it was likely a broken cable on one side preventing it from being flush. That changed my $50 job into a $1200 job. They are pretty good at Doc's, but this was just a quick assessment without really looking at it. I thought I'd post this info again with pictures and ask again before committing my wallet.....

$1,200.00?

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Find a new indy, or do it yourself.

Pros soon will chime in.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #3

Garage
That's what I was thinking.... the cable might be tricky and I'm not much of a wrench, but for $1200 is a good time to learn!!!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

There are two cables (think bicycle speedometer cable),...about $20 each. Both are driven from the electric top motor and are EASILY replaced. Once you've swapped BOTH cables, use a drill to drive each cable separately to even out the clamshell. It takes some patience but its not rocket science.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 PM   #5

Those ball end connectors are pretty notorious for breaking. Is your clam shell undone, as you would have it in service mode? If you can lift the clam shell, check if one of the runners on the side is jammed/stuck they can gunk up, also check all of the various rotating connectors for any that might be stuck as well. Of course, this assumes you can get under everything. There are several that have completely removed the motorized parts and made the top manual. Saves some weight, and the car has to be stopped anyway to operate the top (unless you have the hack) so might be a decent option.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
MWS

See also recent threads:
https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72444-top-push-rod-ends.html
https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72321-still-playing-my-rod.html
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Those ball end connectors are pretty notorious for breaking. Is your clam shell undone, as you would have it in service mode? If you can lift the clam shell, check if one of the runners on the side is jammed/stuck they can gunk up, also check all of the various rotating connectors for any that might be stuck as well. Of course, this assumes you can get under everything. There are several that have completely removed the motorized parts and made the top manual. Saves some weight, and the car has to be stopped anyway to operate the top (unless you have the hack) so might be a decent option.
Yes I disconnected the rods such to open and close the top manually, but haven't gone any further than that
Old 06-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks for all the tips.... I'll probably take a crack at this.