Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 04:25 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 56
Right Parking Light not working

Good morning all,
My right parking light does not work. I would not really care, but I can't pass inspection without it. Last night I dug into it. I checked power (with a test light) at the pigtail end on the car, I have power there. I ran a jumper wire from that end to the disconnected headlight assembly (thank you PW for the picture explaining which prong is what). I tested for power at the parking light socket and I have power. I swapped bulbs from my working driver's side to the passenger side (passenger side still does not work, but the bulb on my passenger side does work in my driver's side, thus the bulb is not the issue). Checked the wiring, I have hot on one wire leading into the parking light bulb, when I plug in the bulb, I have hot on both (this was the same with the driver's side, but the bulb worked). I am wondering if it is some kind of ground issue. I know 194 bulbs can sometimes be finicky with grounds. Has anyone seen anything like this before or have an idea what it might be?

Thanks,
Chris

__________________
2001 Boxster Base
TiberiusBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster View Post
Good morning all,
My right parking light does not work. I would not really care, but I can't pass inspection without it. Last night I dug into it. I checked power (with a test light) at the pigtail end on the car, I have power there. I ran a jumper wire from that end to the disconnected headlight assembly (thank you PW for the picture explaining which prong is what). I tested for power at the parking light socket and I have power. I swapped bulbs from my working driver's side to the passenger side (passenger side still does not work, but the bulb on my passenger side does work in my driver's side, thus the bulb is not the issue). Checked the wiring, I have hot on one wire leading into the parking light bulb, when I plug in the bulb, I have hot on both (this was the same with the driver's side, but the bulb worked). I am wondering if it is some kind of ground issue. I know 194 bulbs can sometimes be finicky with grounds. Has anyone seen anything like this before or have an idea what it might be?

Thanks,
Chris
I had a similar problem. Is your side marker bulb good? Can you test using the tail light housing from another P? I ended up spending the ~$50 from Pelican on an entirely new assembly. Problem solved.

Looking forward to hearing how yours is resolved.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 149
The Side Marker lights have their own fuses, did you check the fuse? i recently had an issue where my City/Parking/High beams were not working. Upon investigation the wiring in my headlight had become brittle and the rubber coating peeled off. i coated the wires in liquid tape and all work now, there was a short with the exposed wires blowing the fuses for those lights.

All good now, knock on wood!
dav9515 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 56
Quote:
The Side Marker lights have their own fuses, did you check the fuse? i recently had an issue where my City/Parking/High beams were not working. Upon investigation the wiring in my headlight had become brittle and the rubber coating peeled off. i coated the wires in liquid tape and all work now, there was a short with the exposed wires blowing the fuses for those lights.

All good now, knock on wood!
I looked at the fuses and a fuse panel diagram. I could not find where the fuse is, but regardless, I have power at the socket, therefore it can't be the fuse, correct? If not, where is the fuse for the right front parking light? Thank you,

Quote:
I had a similar problem. Is your side marker bulb good? Can you test using the tail light housing from another P? I ended up spending the ~$50 from Pelican on an entirely new assembly. Problem solved.

Looking forward to hearing how yours is resolved.
Yes, the bulb is good. I swapped it from the left front (which was working, and is now working with the bulb that was in the passenger side). I take it yours was the tail light? Mine is the front passenger parking bulb. I may have to end up getting a new assembly, but currently I don't understand how that will solve the problem. I have power to the bulb.

Thank you all for your help. Please keep the suggestions coming.
__________________
2001 Boxster Base
TiberiusBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:17 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster View Post
I looked at the fuses and a fuse panel diagram. I could not find where the fuse is, but regardless, I have power at the socket, therefore it can't be the fuse, correct? If not, where is the fuse for the right front parking light? Thank you,



Yes, the bulb is good. I swapped it from the left front (which was working, and is now working with the bulb that was in the passenger side). I take it yours was the tail light? Mine is the front passenger parking bulb. I may have to end up getting a new assembly, but currently I don't understand how that will solve the problem. I have power to the bulb.

Thank you all for your help. Please keep the suggestions coming.
I must have run 10 new bulbs through that socket. Intermittently it worked. Likewise power. I figured $50... and it worked.

Before I swapped the housing, and when first I began having problems with a couple other lights in that housing. I saw the parking bulb was out. Was receiving power. Replaced the bulb... all the tail lights worked... except for that intermittent bulb in the back.

You should have attached to the fuse-box housing cover on the inside... the fuses diagram. If not let me know and I'll post a pic.

Good luck.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:31 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I must have run 10 new bulbs through that socket. Intermittently it worked. Likewise power. I figured $50... and it worked.

Before I swapped the housing, and when first I began having problems with a couple other lights in that housing. I saw the parking bulb was out. Was receiving power. Replaced the bulb... all the tail lights worked... except for that intermittent bulb in the back.

You should have attached to the fuse-box housing cover on the inside... the fuses diagram. If not let me know and I'll post a pic.

Good luck.
I don't have the diagram on the inside, but I did find the one from Mike's website. I don't see one that says parking bulb though. Also, what housing did you replace? It sounds like it was in the tail light. Was it the socket where the bulb fit in? Did you just cut it off and put the new one on via heat shrinking or something?

Thanks,
__________________
2001 Boxster Base
TiberiusBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 56
I noticed that dav9515 called them side marker lights. I did check the fuses for those, A3 and A4. They both work. I would not think they were the marker lights, but maybe that is what they are called.
__________________
2001 Boxster Base
TiberiusBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
Yeah...you're not getting a headlight assembly for $50, not that it is necessary anyway. I don't think he read your first post.

Getting positive voltage on both sides with the bulb in is normal because the bulb filament is a conductor. Sounds like a bad ground, but the parking, fog, turn signal and high beams all share a common ground. Do the fog lights, turn and high beams work on that side?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yeah...you're not getting a headlight assembly for $50, not that it is necessary anyway. I don't think he read your first post.

Getting positive voltage on both sides with the bulb in is normal because the bulb filament is a conductor. Sounds like a bad ground, but the parking, fog, turn signal and high beams all share a common ground. Do the fog lights, turn and high beams work on that side?
I was waiting for you to chime in, PW. Yes, All the rest of the lights work on that side. I tested all of them. I knew based on the diagram you sent me they use a common ground, I even cleaned it out a little. I also thought it was normal to get positive voltage on both sides (I thought I remembered the 194 bulb being a conductor). And, I agree it is probably a ground. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

One thing that was odd is that even with the jumper wire when I put the power to the drivers side, which works, it would not light up. It would when I plugged it back in the main harness, but not the jumper wire. Not that that matters, just interesting. I welcome any thoughts on how to fix it. It is the only thing holding up my inspection.

Thanks,
Chris
__________________
2001 Boxster Base
TiberiusBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 149
The side marker lights are on the sides of your car, in your fenders. Some people call them parking lights so wasnt sure what you were referring to. Are you talking about the small lights physically inside the headlights by your low and high beams?

if so, those were also out on my car and the wire covering was falling off. After recoating with the liquid tape to all exposed areas they worked fine, but my fuses were blowing indicating a short.

My question is are those ligths really required in VA for an inspection? here in CT that would have no impact.
dav9515 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
If you're getting positive voltage (hot) on both sides of the bulb, it's definitely a bad ground. Pull the main connector socket off of the headlight (remove 2 screws, then pry it off - aside from the screws, it's also held on with strong double sided tape) and check the wires coming from the common ground pin. Also run your test light between parking light + and the common ground on the car side, just to be sure that you get a complete circuit there.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
The side marker lights are on the sides of your car, in your fenders. Some people call them parking lights so wasnt sure what you were referring to. Are you talking about the small lights physically inside the headlights by your low and high beams?
Yes, that is what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
if so, those were also out on my car and the wire covering was falling off. After recoating with the liquid tape to all exposed areas they worked fine, but my fuses were blowing indicating a short.
all the fuses are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
My question is are those lights really required in VA for an inspection? here in CT that would have no impact.
Yes, unfortunately.

Quote:
If you're getting positive voltage (hot) on both sides of the bulb, it's definitely a bad ground. Pull the main connector socket off of the headlight (remove 2 screws, then pry it off - aside from the screws, it's also held on with strong double sided tape) and check the wires coming from the common ground pin. Also run your test light between parking light + and the common ground on the car side, just to be sure that you get a complete circuit there.
I will hopefully get a chance to do that tonight. I don't understand the last part of what you said, what do you mean by run the test light between parking light + and the common ground. Would you mind to explain that a little better?

Thank you everyone for your help.
__________________
2001 Boxster Base
TiberiusBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yeah...you're not getting a headlight assembly for $50, not that it is necessary anyway. I don't think he read your first post.

Getting positive voltage on both sides with the bulb in is normal because the bulb filament is a conductor. Sounds like a bad ground, but the parking, fog, turn signal and high beams all share a common ground. Do the fog lights, turn and high beams work on that side?
I'm sorry. I thought we were on the rear light housing. My baaaaaaad. Baaaaaaaad.

PW... still planning to attend to that mod. Maybe this weekend.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #14
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster View Post
I will hopefully get a chance to do that tonight. I don't understand the last part of what you said, what do you mean by run the test light between parking light + and the common ground. Would you mind to explain that a little better?

Thank you everyone for your help.
Turn the headlights on (to parking light position), then test at the car side connector between common ground and parking light +, just to be 100% sure you have good power between the two (unless you already did that).

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'm sorry. I thought we were on the rear light housing. My baaaaaaad. Baaaaaaaad.

PW... still planning to attend to that mod. Maybe this weekend.
I really hope you get it working...still one of my favorite useful mods.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Turn the headlights on (to parking light position), then test at the car side connector between common ground and parking light +, just to be 100% sure you have good power between the two (unless you already did that).

Yes, that was the first thing I did. I have power there. I was able to use that to jump the connection and make sure I had power at the bulb. I will remove the socket and try to clean up the ground. Thanks again.

No worries, Starter 😀
__________________
2001 Boxster Base
TiberiusBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Turn the headlights on (to parking light position), then test at the car side connector between common ground and parking light +, just to be 100% sure you have good power between the two (unless you already did that).

You are so good with photos!

Maybe one of that hot wire to which I connect the cubby mod? I'll find the ground.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
You are so good with photos!

Maybe one of that hot wire to which I connect the cubby mod? I'll find the ground.
You have to remove the plastic panel around the fuse center (2 or 4 screws and it comes right off)...I'll see if I have an old picture this evening so I don't have to go out into the blazing hot garage.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If you're getting positive voltage (hot) on both sides of the bulb, it's definitely a bad ground. Pull the main connector socket off of the headlight (remove 2 screws, then pry it off - aside from the screws, it's also held on with strong double sided tape) and check the wires coming from the common ground pin. Also run your test light between parking light + and the common ground on the car side, just to be sure that you get a complete circuit there.
That was it. Pulled the connectir and ran a ground lead and a positive lead. Buttoned it back up and it works. I need to do some more plasti dip in there, but that will get me pass inspection.

Thanks again.
__________________
2001 Boxster Base
TiberiusBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #20
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster View Post
That was it. Pulled the connectir and ran a ground lead and a positive lead. Buttoned it back up and it works. I need to do some more plasti dip in there, but that will get me pass inspection.

Thanks again.
PW is genius.

__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page