Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #21
MWS

Sharing a story that taught me how the world really works.

Many years ago I had my car broken into at my workplace, not once, but a couple of times. On the last occasion, a window was smashed and all audio equipment as well as any personal items were stolen; they did, however, leave behind a screwdriver. As with the previous vandalism, I filed a police report this time noting the approximate value (a couple thousand) and that a screwdriver was left behind...foolish me, I figured they would want the screwdriver to run for prints.

A week went by and I called to follow up and was referred to the "investigating officer" (I use "investigating" loosely as you will see). I was told that no progress had been made, but I could check back with them later. After a few more weeks and several more calls to no avail, I had decided to just give up. About this time I was at another business and the person I was speaking to (who knew me only vaguely) asked if I had my car vandalized...apparently the person who did so was bragging about it to a co-worker of the person I was speaking to. I asked if they knew the persons name, which they graciously provided. With this new information, I went to the police station and spoke with the "investigating officer" and gave them the new info...I was thanked and advised they would follow up. Another week later I again called to follow up, to which I was told they were "working on it". A week or so later I went to the station and spoke with the "investigating officer" who informed me that it was still "an open investigation"...I suppose I might have somewhat lost my temper and demanded "what is there to investigate?" And here is where I learned a lesson. I was told by the officer "off the record" that they were very familiar with the individual and that they could "possibly" arrest them, but nothing would really come of it. I was told they could go after the person, arrest them, they would bail out that day, the prosecutor would not want to spend the money to go to a trial, and that any items stolen were most likely sold immediately. I was told I could file a civil claim, but even if the judgement was in my favor, the person had no visible income and that I would never see a dime in restitution. I was also told that I could take some comfort in the fact that this person was most likely on a path to commit some greater crime that would lead to prison. As the officer told me this, I could see that he too was frustrated by the way things worked...but at least I learned something...don't spend time and frustration with the expectation of justice being served, and even if it is, the original incident would still have happened...best case scenario is to just move on.

In your case, repair your car, don't loose sleep and enjoy the summer. Besides, nothing p****** someone off more then knowing their actions didn't phase you one bit.

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #22
WALDMEISTER

Garage
lol...I ordered a sticker on Amazon:

translates kinda into
The Secretary of Health: Touching this car may result in loss of teeth!

Last edited by BRAN; 06-09-2018 at 07:23 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #23
MWS

Recently saw a sign "TRESPASSERS WILL BE COMPOSTED". Kinda creepy...but it was at a garden center, which makes it kinda funny.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #24

talk about things that grind my gears!!! people are just pieces of sh#$!

get yourself a nice dashcam that can record front and back and has motion detection so it records when the car is off and something is moving around. i got one when i was tired of finding my daily driver damaged, after spending $1000 getting things right.

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote