Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #1

2000 Boxster - gauge cluster removal - please help

Folks, on my car the key was getting hard to turn from off (0) to accessory (1) position. Especially when it was colder outside and/or the key hadn't been turned in awhile.

I first replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch, but that did not help at all.

Next, following the guidance in the pelican tech article (https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/86-ELEC-Replacing_Your_Ignition_Switch_Steering_Lock/86-ELEC-Replacing_Your_Ignition_Switch_Steering_Lock.htm) ...my goal was to replace the mechanical portion of the ignition switch (aka pistol steering lock assembly).

To do that, you are supposed to remove the dash/gauge cluster first.

I was not able to get that done unfortunately. The instructions stated "D: Lift the gauge cluster up so that you can disconnect the wire harnesses on the back.".........but in my case I couldn't get the thing to lift off far enough (it seemed stuck on something I couldn't see on the driver's side moreso --- i'm guessing the wiring to the 3 cable harnesses on my car just didn't have much slack).

I had to decide on whether to just keep tugging away until it gave or to stop and avoid more $$ damage and chose the latter.

Any tips on how this gets done for a beginner? I'm going to be forced to take it into the dealer it seems if I can't figure this out.
Thanks

ben2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hello - take a look at the link below to an earlier thread where this is discussed. There are some tips in there that should help you with the procedure. Please let us know if you have any other questions and best of luck!

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/6302-gauge-cluster-removal.html
Dmitry at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #3

A tid bit of advise

Once you get it out, immediately use a thick soft towel to protect your dash, they scratch and dent quite easily.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2000 View Post

To do that, you are supposed to remove the dash/gauge cluster first.

I was not able to get that done unfortunately. The instructions stated "D: Lift the gauge cluster up so that you can disconnect the wire harnesses on the back.".........but in my case I couldn't get the thing to lift off far enough (it seemed stuck on something I couldn't see on the driver's side moreso --- i'm guessing the wiring to the 3 cable harnesses on my car just didn't have much slack). ...
I just recently did all of this, replacing the steering lock and ignition switch:
http://986forum.com/forums/561000-post63.html

Are you sure that you removed the actual hazard switch as shown in figure 5 of this? :
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement.htm