Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Would you purchase this vehicle?

Hi everyone,
A local ad in a buy/sell website has an 2002 boxster S for $4000. The story goes that he purchased it at a local auction and was going to work on the engine, that has an white smoke issue (assuming it is the AOS). He has a friend that is a mechanic that helped him take the engine out of the vehicle and he was going to repair "the gasket issues" but ran out of money. He sent me two pictures of the vehicle and engine as well as a video with the engine in and running.
Would this be a project to take on?
Attached are the pictures.
I will try to post the video link once I figure out how to do that.
Thanks in advance.
Tim

tdemo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

Posted on you tube
https://youtu.be/ArctRQQPH4A
Hope this works
Cheers
Old 01-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdemo1 View Post
Would this be a project to take on?
How much mechanical ability do you have? You may need some specialized tools also, depending on what needs repairing.

The stories around the issues sound a bit suspicious, but if you have the ability to do mechanical work, you may be able to get it fixed. Regardless of the video he has, you're still buying a cat in the sack - a non-running car.

What color is the car? Why is the underside of the trunk a different color than the bumper? They should be the same color.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #4

I'm interested in the car too but was wondering about the title (is it a salvage title?) and why the engine lid is silver underneath. If the engine is shot its probably worth $3k. If the engine can be salvaged economically then its a worthwhile project assuming the rest of the car is decent. I've always wanted a red Boxster.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #5

Hey Husker,
Thanks for the quick reply.
The color is same as bumper...red
I have an 2001 Boxster S that I have changed the water pump, thermostat, CV axles, full brakes and bleed, radiator flush, spark plugs, tubes and oil change. I have read extensively about the IMS issue and how to change, however felt that was too much to take on. This would be an obvious jump up in commitment and patience. If worse comes to worse, I could take it to a local shop to install for about $3000. My real concern is how to test if the engine would work, if the transmission is any good, electrical issues...etc.
What is the risk and would this be a reasonable project to take on?
Note: I do understand there is risk in everything, so....what are the opinions out there?
Cheers
Photo from web post
Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Note: I do understand there is risk in everything, so....what are the opinions out there?
I have taken on a lot of project cars and I would not touch this one at $4,000. Would I buy it at a much lower price? Yes, if I had a lot of time, shop space, and a plan of what I was going to use it for. I don't expect that money and time invested to make it right, would equal the resale value. I do see potential for a future track car that would be a minimal loss if it ran into a tire wall.
  • The paint job looks poorly done. Lots of questions come to mind from there.
  • The owner had a 'mechanic friend' help him take it apart. What did they break in the process, or lose since then. Expect lost bolts, stripped threads, and bad mounts at the least.
  • I think it has a RMS and/or IMS seal leak in addition to many other problems and lapses in maintenance. (Large oil stain below the flywheel in the 2nd pic.)
  • I would much rather buy a complete and intact roller with a known problem than a disassembled mess with a vague description of smoke.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #7

Based on the fact that you are asking if this is a project you should take on my answer would be no. If you want to take something like this on find a complete roller that has not been torn apart. If you are willing to spend a little more then the $4k you could find a early Boxster that needs a lot less work then this one. Good luck.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #8

No. I passed on a 2003 Box S Tip with similar miles last April that ran and drove and everything worked on the car...$4,800 USD.
Keep looking!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdemo1 View Post
What is the risk and would this be a reasonable project to take on?
The risk is that the engine is blown, the transmission needs replacement, and the suspension is completely worn. If this were the situation, then you could be looking at $4000 for a salvage engine, $1000 for a transmission, and $1500 for suspension (parts only).

If you paid $4K of the car, then you'd be into it for about $10K-ish for a car that is worth (at most) $10K. That's a lot of work and risk to maybe break even.

If you can get the car for $1500-$2000 it might be worth a roll of the dice. If you still think that this is a good idea, then re-read the warnings from 78F350, Porsche9, and dghii.

Alternatively, parking $2K in Bitcoin is probably about the same risk and a lot less work.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-01-2018 at 08:03 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #10

That car is definitaly resprayed. So many issues potentially that could wind up being VERY expensive. I’m with the rest, keep looking. At least get something with original paint. That alone kills the value anyway.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #11

No. The risk is too high. If you knew the car's history and the motivation of the seller then at the right price you reduce risk. You know neither with the degree of certainty that would reduce risk. Buy a well maintained car that someone else has paid the maintenance costs on. Get the PPI. You are better overpaying for the right car than buying this unknowns overpriced "bargain".
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #12

Thanks for all your feedback everyone.
I will wait and keep my out for a better situation.
Cheers and thanks again!