Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #61
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
911monty just dropped the mic, friends

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #62

Wow.....Pathetic Original Post along with some responses. ENJOY YOUR PORSCHE!!!!!!!!

Do not be concerned with what others (P-Car owners, mustang owners etc) think. If you want to feel offended go ahead, my advice is you own a Porsche, be happy and STFU!!!!!
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
In my experience, most of the guys - because it's always guys - who hate on the Boxster, call it "not a real Porsche" and so on, very rarely own a Porsche themselves.
In Porsche Club Sweden, I've never met that attitude. I've had owners of 991 GT3s and air cooled 911s take an interest in my humble Boxster just as much as I'm interested in theirs.
Exactly my thoughts.. It's just that this car has become so famous and iconic over the years, and with fame you get a lot of criticism also hehe. People see the car on street and immediately they realize it's a P.

@OP I'm also young and I also drive a 986. Yes maybe it's because of the age, maybe it's because of spending "only $15k" to buy this car, but why does it matter in the end? Also, a 2016 used Mustang costs the same as the 17 year old Porsche (with Engine IMS issues...). So if we judge by the current car's worth, everyone must make fun of the cheap Mustangs..

I also feel good when I see another Porsche on the street. Problem with some P-Owners is that they use the car to show to the world that they are rich... Others just buy a Porsche for the thrill of driving,owning and maintaining a beautiful and unique "super car". I'm on that side

Last edited by Lacostas; 12-10-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #64

Coming from owning a 914 'four', 'not a pure Porsche' argument does not bother me one bit... 986 has a Porsche flat 6 and front body identical to 911/ 996!

I love 911's and all other P-cars, but when it comes to cornering stability, the mid engine cars are simply superior, period! And when you can not afford buying or daily driving 550, 718, 904 or even 914-6, Boxster (OK and Cayman) just makes perfect sense!

By the way, the iconic 550, our grandfather, was not named 'little bastard' for nothing!

And our car saved Porsche from bankruptcy too!

People calling Boxsters not pure Porsche or hairdresser's cars do not know the whole heritage and history of Porsche.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!

Last edited by Boxstard; 12-10-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #65

I think people will change their perception about Boxster 986 generation. I know that I have. My first drive in a 986S was around year 2000. The handling was nice but it was a bit tame enginewise. I expected more. A few years later I bought a 993 turbo that I still own. 2 years ago I started to look for a car that was undervalued, reliable and fun to drive. I bought a 550 SE. Maybe I payed more than I would for a standard 986S but it was in very nice condition. Took it on a eurotrip to italy this summer during three weeks. What can I say. It was perfect. Goes under the radar. Fun to drive. Very balaced car in every respect. Even practical for a twoseater. I won't be selling it anytime soon. If people think of the Boxster as a poor mans Porsche. It's their lost. It was the first Boxster and I think someday more will recognize that.
Robert993TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #66

Garage
I’m like you I drive the 986 because they are fun to drive love how they handle the curve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #67

986 hate

I've only had my 986S a few months and was fortunate that my first encounter with a PCA club was 100 percent positive. It was a group from South Dakota that was in town (La Crosse WI) for the weekend. Being a local I was able to steer them towards some of my favorite roads and places that only a local can. It was a fun weekend and I made a few new friends.
I've come across haters and snobs over the years in many different situations. I simply don't have time for that negativity in my life. I like to go out of my way to present myself in the total opposite manner. I try to be kind and friendly so it reflects back towards the P car people in positive light.
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #68

I've had girls and guys tell me "Nice Porsche" but I have never had anyone tell me how disgusting my car looks, even when its dirtied up with tape racing numbers.

I rather enjoy being the only Porsche in the Parking lot and enjoying the awesome sound and handling on every drive.

Hater's, who cares what they think. Never met a hater who's opinion I valued.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:30 PM   #69

A young chinese man was walking from one village to the next and along the way met a wise old man coming in the opposite direction. He said to the old man "what are the people like in the next village" the old man replied "what are the people like in the village you have just left"

The young man said "they are all liars and cheats" to this the old man replied "you will find they are the same in the next village too"
YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:19 AM   #70

Porsche haters are just a cross section of society . Everyone know or works with some douche nozzle that is just a pain in the butt for whatever reason , Porsche haters fall into that category . Some folks are just miserable/jealous/hateful/ignorant it is what it is . I could really care less what someone thinks about my car or my ownership of it . Life is too short to argue with idiots . Go enjoy your car and drive it like Ferdinand wanted it to be driven .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #71

My last car, before my 986S, was an '89 Carrera 3.2 Targa. Not a 964. At P-car events everyone thought it was great. Instructors all wanted to ride with me. It was great! My next birthday starts with a "7", and I'm not capable enough to drive a car that will, literally, turn on you as quickly as a 911 on a slick road in traffic will. All the weight transfer knowledge I have arrives in recall about a second too late, as all those years of tequila have slowed the firing times of my synapses. I can still have fun and - more comfortably - hang the rear end out as needed. It took a year to find the 911. It took a year to find the Boxster. Two wonderful, albeit different, cars.

2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote