Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #1

Unhappy Latest JD Power data on Reliablilty

Just released today.

Lexus continues to be #1

Porsche is #22.

This was 3 year data.

PS- only 4 American cars finished behind Porsche.

Aye carumba.

For more, see today's Wall Street Journal.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #2
bmussatti

Not surprising!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:42 AM   #3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Not surprising!
You are going to be accused of Porsche bashing!

Old 08-10-2006, 06:45 AM   #4

No Comment
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #5

Wow, that #1 initial quality must drop fast.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Wow, that #1 initial quality must drop fast.

I assume the same. Wasn't the 90 data much better?

Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
You know, this is not surprising, nor does it hurt my feelings for a few reasons:

1. I don't think any of us woke up the day we bought our Boxsters, and said "alright, what I need is a reliable cheap-to-own car, because I just need transportation from point A to point B, and what better way to satisfy that minimalist need than with a Porsche?!" We knew we were buying a car that required extraordinarily expensive maintenance, and came with the potential for some pretty major "issues". Especially those, like myself, who bought a Boxster LONG after the issues with the RMS, MAF, etc., started popping up.

2. I don't think the average Porsche owner is as 40 year old mother of 2 who uses her car for trips to and from the grocery store and soccer practice, and who MAYBE hits 4k rpm once a month when merging onto the interstate. In many cases, those are the people who are driving Lexuses (Lexi?) and Toyotas. I'm guessing if the average Camry owner was a testosterone-driven redline freak who went through tires as fast as some of you guys do, Toyota would drop a notch or two on the list.

3. I don't buy into JD Power's statistics that often anyway -- if you look at their income structure, with respect to charging people to use their name, charging people for their trophies, etc, I don't think they are totally unbiased. I'll take Consumer Reports over them any day.

Just my $0.02.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #8

too bad

I know my boxster isn't perfect....and there are things that irk me about it daily but once I start driving it mysteriously makes everything better....

the porsche bashing was getting out of control....I got a little tired of reading about the great vette when the one in my garage is a piece of dump....I believe MN boxster said the vette was 50 years of consistent improvement you know my dad bought his first one in 88 when the problems were the dash clusters and rattles and squeaks.....his next was a 94....distributor...wild loose ride....rattles and squeaks...then the new all I hear is rattles and squeaks....and some of the recent stories....

most people that buy expensive cars rarely feel the car lives up to its price tag....my brother and his Z3 are a perfect example....so the porsche isn't on an island in that category.....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
You know, this is not surprising, nor does it hurt my feelings for a few reasons:

1. I don't think any of us woke up the day we bought our Boxsters, and said "alright, what I need is a reliable cheap-to-own car, because I just need transportation from point A to point B, and what better way to satisfy that minimalist need than with a Porsche?!" We knew we were buying a car that required extraordinarily expensive maintenance, and came with the potential for some pretty major "issues". Especially those, like myself, who bought a Boxster LONG after the issues with the RMS, MAF, etc., started popping up.

2. I don't think the average Porsche owner is as 40 year old mother of 2 who uses her car for trips to and from the grocery store and soccer practice, and who MAYBE hits 4k rpm once a month when merging onto the interstate. In many cases, those are the people who are driving Lexuses (Lexi?) and Toyotas. I'm guessing if the average Camry owner was a testosterone-driven redline freak who went through tires as fast as some of you guys do, Toyota would drop a notch or two on the list.

3. I don't buy into JD Power's statistics that often anyway -- if you look at their income structure, with respect to charging people to use their name, charging people for their trophies, etc, I don't think they are totally unbiased. I'll take Consumer Reports over them any day.

Just my $0.02.
The S2000 was in the top 5 on the list.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:42 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
The S2000 was in the top 5 on the list.
Yes, no one ever tried to hide that. In fact, when I bought my car, the Porsche dealer explicitely mentioned that this "is not an s2000", and went on to discuss the tradeoffs that you get for your decreased reliability.

I've owned 3 BMW's, 1 VW, and 1 Porsche now, and the Europeans will get another chunk of change from me when the Boxster dies, because the car just makes me happy!

I'm not saying the Boxster is perfect -- I would love a clutch that lasted 130k miles like that of my sister's Honda, but we all made a concious trade-off, and I don't think any of us should be shocked to find out that we're not driving a Toyota Camry that looks like an entry-level exotic!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #11

There is a lot of denial going on here.

No one implied that Porsche should be at the top of this list.

However, I think it is pretty sad that a cars that cost so much are near the bottom of the list.

Keep in mind this list includes some pretty sophisticated iron. More data:

BMW was ranked #8, Jaguar #7. Cadillac was #3. God MB actually did a bit better than Porsche.

BTW-Audi was 6 slots BELOW Porsche. No surprise there. The Germans (save BMW) are slipping badly here.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #12

jaguar!! ewww....

that's it...these results are skewed...go buy a jaguar...good luck with that.....now let all the....."actuallys" begin
Old 08-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
that's it...these results are skewed...go buy a jaguar...good luck with that.....now let all the....."actuallys" begin
Hi,

Hey don't knock the Jag. My wife's '04 S-Type Sport 4.2L 5-speed has been a great car, perhaps the best we've ever owned. True, they previously were known for reliability issues, but no more - that's old hat.

Style, Performance (for a Sedan), Wonderful Fit & Finish, Interior which puts Porsche to shame, ABSOLUTELY reliable in 35k mi. - NOTHING wrong whatever - not even the smallest thing!, Dealer Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty 'til 10/08, incl. Oil Changes, Provenance, Racing History... there ain't a lot to hate about it, nothing in fact...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-11-2006 at 06:24 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #14
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Hey don't knock the Jag. My wife's '04 S-Type Sport 5-speed has been a great car, perhaps the best we've ever owned. True, they previously were known for reliability issues, but no more - that's old hat.

Style, Performance (for a Sedan), Wonderful Fit & Finish, Interior which puts Porsche to shame, ABSOLUTELY reliable in 35k mi. - NOTHING wrong whatever - not even the smallest thing!, Dealer Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty 'til 10/08, incl. Oil Changes, Provenance, Racing History... there ain't a lot to hate about it, nothing in fact...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I almost bought a Jag for my wife a couple years ago. The car was very nice. She was set on the S-Type too with the 4.2 engine.

I vetoed the car mainly for 2 reasons:

1) It was rear-wheel drive- lots of power, Chicago winters and my two little girls in car seats did not seem like a good combination to me.

2) From many angles, the Jag looks too much like a Ford Taurus or Mercury Sable.

I bought her an MB E320 4 Matic instead.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #15

The s-type is a lovey vehicle

both of you are spot on the S-Type....however it is too much of a taurus on too many angles and for as reliable as your model may have been MN, I have a sister and a good friend with X-types that haven't exactly wowed them.....EVERY car maker is bound to give one owner a bad experience....to this date the nuiances with my particular box aren't anything I would escape with other cars...like the iPod situation, G35 coupe didn't have a hook up and neither did the IS 350 if I remember correctly...yet on this forum...we act like Porsche is the only manufacture in the world asleep on these issues....does a TT even come in automatic yet? I could have sworn the TT is only manual as was the MR2 when it was re-released...yet the PB gets slammed for its tip syste...just little things....

now the RMS MAF whatever you guys talk about, not so little...but I'll wait to complain once it happens.....

Bruce Lee, those survey results for Boxsters? or are we not acknowledging that the 911 someone hit me for suggesting this may also be a culprit as well as the Cayenne in terms of quality??? no time to spell check, sorry, got to go rock
Old 08-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #16

Smile

"Bruce Lee, those survey results for Boxsters? or are we not acknowledging that the 911 someone hit me for suggesting this may also be a culprit as well as the Cayenne in terms of quality??? no time to spell check, sorry, got to go rock"

That is Porsche aggregate data. I am trying to get my hands on the model specific data, which I believe IS available.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #17

Smile

I love the Jaguar fit and finish, it is as good as it gets.

I have no data on the more recent Jags, but the earlier ones were certainly suspect.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #18

I traded in my 2004 Jag X-Type with 20k miles for a 1999 Boxster with 30k miles

The Jag was nice, the AWD was great, but just not as much fun to drive as the Boxster.

Plus after 2 years the Jag was only worth $17k ( bought for $30 )

I was worried about getting rid of a 2 yr old car with 20k miles and full warrantee for a 7 yr old car with 30k miles and no warrantee.

Everytime I get behind the wheel of the Box, I know I made the right decision...

'nuff said
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #19

My boxster has been as reliable as a wood burning stove and if hell does break loose I have that nice 7ry warranty
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:09 AM   #20

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
My boxster has been as reliable as a wood burning stove and if hell does break loose I have that nice 7ry warranty
How did you get a 7 yr warranty? I thought the max from Porsche was 6 yrs?