Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 04:18 AM   #1

Window won't drop, FRUNK won't open

Hey Guys,

I asked this on another fellas thread.... But on my brand spanking new (to me!) 1998 the driver's side window will not drop (does manually go up and down fine!) and my FRUNK won't open at all...(locked), I'm thinking the micro switch may be bad... Was gonna try the cable tie trick..... Or toss a bike cable tensioner in....if the issue is from cable stretch..... But if not.... I guess I will have to replace the micro switch...

Am I on the right track?

Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche • BMW • Mercedes • Volkswagen • Audi • Saab • Volvo • MINI

Thanks!
Fred

1096369fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1096369fred View Post
Hey Guys,

I asked this on another fellas thread.... But on my brand spanking new (to me!) 1998 the driver's side window will not drop (does manually go up and down fine!) and my FRUNK won't open at all...(locked), I'm thinking the micro switch may be bad... Was gonna try the cable tie trick..... Or toss a bike cable tensioner in....if the issue is from cable stretch..... But if not.... I guess I will have to replace the micro switch...

Am I on the right track?

Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche • BMW • Mercedes • Volkswagen • Audi • Saab • Volvo • MINI

Thanks!
Fred
The FRUNK has nothing to do with the window or door micro switch. There are no electronics controlling the cable release mechanism on that model year. The window however is a microswitch related issue. It could be slack that you could compensate for but a better and more lasting solution would be replacing the regulator in the door. Not the motor but the regulator assembly itself. In either case, that means removing the door panel which is kind of a pain. My 2001 S has the same issue on the passenger side. I'll be replacing the regulator over the winter months.
RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #3

does the window drop ok when you unlatch the top in the front? if so, it could well be the switch in the door not sending a signal that it's been opened (windows should drop when the door is opened or the top is unlatched).

I may be missing the point, but I don't think fixing the cable would help, that's for the window regulator and you say it's going up and down manually fine, so sounds like that's working ok.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKing View Post
The FRUNK has nothing to do with the window or door micro switch. There are no electronics controlling the cable release mechanism on that model year. The window however is a microswitch related issue. It could be slack that you could compensate for but a better and more lasting solution would be replacing the regulator in the door. Not the motor but the regulator assembly itself. In either case, that means removing the door panel which is kind of a pain. My 2001 S has the same issue on the passenger side. I'll be replacing the regulator over the winter months.
WRONG.
The release levers on a cable operated mechanical system are locked out when the drivers side door is closed.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #5

Garage
Your Funk issue is unrelated to your drivers window issue. Also I think we need a bit of clarification. For the Funk, the release lever on the drivers door sill is not functioning? For the 98, as noted there are't any electronics controlling the Funk. There is an emergency release cable see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o3X7DaHrxw

For the window drop there are a couple of sensors one on the inside door handle and one on the lock mechanism. I think either one is suppose to make the window drop. Removing the door panel isn't too bad. Find the door panel removal section on Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts

It's possible the sensor on the lock mechanism is just dirty and could be cleaned. However to remove the lock mechanism you need am 8mm triple square bit, don't try to use a torx bit on the bolts.
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
WRONG.
The release levers on a cable operated mechanical system are locked out when the drivers side door is closed.

THERE IS AN ELECTRONIC SOLENOID THAT LOCKS BOTH LEVERS IN A MECHANICAL SYSTEM WHEN THE DRIVERS SIDE DOOR IS CLOSED.

The problem is one or more bad micro switches in the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marck View Post
Your Funk issue is unrelated to your drivers window issue. Also I think we need a bit of clarification. For the Funk, the release lever on the drivers door sill is not functioning? For the 98, as noted there are't any electronics controlling the Funk. There is an emergency release cable see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o3X7DaHrxw

For the window drop there are a couple of sensors one on the inside door handle and one on the lock mechanism. I think either one is suppose to make the window drop. Removing the door panel isn't too bad. Find the door panel removal section on Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts

It's possible the sensor on the lock mechanism is just dirty and could be cleaned. However to remove the lock mechanism you need am 8mm triple square bit, don't try to use a torx bit on the bolts.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
WRONG.

THERE IS AN ELECTRONIC SOLENOID THAT LOCKS BOTH LEVERS IN A MECHANICAL SYSTEM WHEN THE DRIVERS SIDE DOOR IS CLOSED.

The problem is one or more bad micro switches in the door.

WTF! oh well, I thought the door it's self was keeping the levers from being fully actuated. So can you remove maybe the window fuse and have that solenoid release? I'm certain I've had the battery disconnected and been able to release at least the rear trunk.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marck View Post
WTF! oh well, I thought the door it's self was keeping the levers from being fully actuated. So can you remove maybe the window fuse and have that solenoid release? I'm certain I've had the battery disconnected and been able to release at least the rear trunk.
You want a shovel yet or does your foot still taste good?
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
You want a shovel yet or does your foot still taste good?
Just like a good BBS.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #10

Thanks guys..... I ordered a new micro switch from pelican today....so we will see if that does it..... Right now my window does go up and down manually with no issue..... It just does not drop the 1/4 inch when I pull the door handle..... I did notice that I can hear the motor run when I slowly lift the door Handle.... Which makes me hope that it is just cable stretch..... And that the cable tie trick will solve my issues....

The FRUNK lever is locked, or broken.... When you pull the lever it only opens about a half inch and there is no release...... I did run my emergency cable to the tow hook receptical..... So I can get into the FRUNK that way now.... But I am thinking something electronic ain't doing what it should....

At this point my problems are:
1. Key Remote does not work at all... (L.E.D works on one key, but not the other")
2. Driver's window does not retract the 1/4" when door is opened.
3. FRUNK release does not work.... But truck release works fine.
3. Locks do not seem to work. Turning the key in drivers door, locks the door, but
It immediately self unlocks....
4. Key can put window (drivers and passengers) up with a turn of the key in the drivers door lock but a counter clockwise turn seems to do nothing.....
1096369fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #11

Garage
These might actually be multiple problems or could be related. Since you can open the trunk normally the immobilizer appears to know the door was opened, or that is why it unlocks automatically, because it thinks the trunk mechanism is open or out of position. Try opening the trunk with the door closed. The lever should be locked.

The cable release mechanism for the frunk and trunk will lock out the lever that you're not using, meaning if you're opening the trunk the frunk lever is locked out and vice versa, you cannot open at the same time. I have not removed mine (98) to see how this is accomplished, but I can imagine there is some type of shuttle mechanism involved. I think if it was me I'd pull that trim piece and actuate the levers to see if something has failed mechanically.

And since you think you hear the window drop, open the door then lightly push down on the window, does it drop the 1/4"? if so then probably cable stretch and regulator issue.

Last edited by 911monty; 11-16-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
WRONG.
I thought the lockout when the door is closed was due to the door panel blocking movement of the levers. If there is a microswitch that controls it, then it should not be possible to open either trunk when the battery is dead on those years.
RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKing View Post
I thought the lockout when the door is closed was due to the door panel blocking movement of the levers. If there is a microswitch that controls it, then it should not be possible to open either trunk when the battery is dead on those years.
+1.

That's how I thought it works . Standing by to get smarter....
dghii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
+1.

That's how I thought it works . Standing by to get smarter....
Well I can tell you that I have tested this on my 98 and with the doors closed the levers are accessible and are LOCKED out. Oh and that's key on and off. I imagine this is to prevent someone from pulling the lever at 120 mph. Cuz remember, if it can be done it will be done.

As far as a dead battery: from what has been written many times, since there is no post to jump on the fuse box on these years to open the trunk, then you must use the emergency trunk release to get to the battery.

Hope I never test that though....

Found a post from some pretty knowledgeable people.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/28400-front-and-rear-trunk-levers-locked-how-to-unlock/

Last edited by 911monty; 11-16-2017 at 08:09 PM.