Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #1

Exclamation New Porsche dealer taken over PCA, corrupted local PCA

I'm a long time Porsche owner and something has come to my attention in the Porsche community that concerns me greatly.

Recently, a new Porsche dealer has moved into our town of 5-6 million people and bought out all the other Porsche dealers and closed them, leaving us with only 1 Porsche dealership within 100 miles.

Several PCA members have had poor experiences with them already, myself included when I purchased a pre-owned Porsche. I don't want to get into specifics because it would reveal who I am to any local PCA members reading, but sufficient to say I'll be taking my porsche to the other dealership 100 miles away for service.

When we expressed our grievances on the local PCA facebook page we were essentially told to shut up by the local PCA President, that we can not disparage a PCA sponsor. Now when Porsche owners post that they need service to the PCA facebook page, we recommend other non-Porsche shops and send them private messages telling them to avoid the only Porsche dealer in town.

The PCA President seems happily oblivious, cheerfully posting about how wonderful the new Porsche dealership is and schedules PCA meetings there several times a year.

I'm disappointed that the PCA has turned it's back on their paying members and instead bowed down to this new dealership that many PCA members are having serious problems with.

Is there anything that can be done? Besides giving up on Porsche?

p.s. I posted this on rennlist yesterday and admin deleted it within 4 hours, guess they're hiding corruption too which is unfortunate.

Last edited by porschequestions; 11-12-2017 at 06:34 PM.
porschequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:43 AM   #2

What city?
Old 11-11-2017, 03:58 AM   #3

No offense but your story seems a little fishy without any more info than your providing. Did you buy the used Porsche from this dealer? What were the problems that you and others had with them? Anyone spending the kind if money it would take to buy 5 Porsche franchises just close them makes no sense.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:35 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about your car and post a picture please. We all love Boxster/Porsche pictures.

I live in a small city of under 20,000 people and it is over an hour drive to the nearest Porsche dealer or any PCA activities. I choose which activities I want to attend and enjoy them. My Porsches (9PAs and 986s) are not in warranty and the dealership is irrelevant.

My advice: If you have a legitimate gripe, don't fear reprisal and hide your identity. The PCA has a lot of great people and I expect this is best handled in an open discussion rather than sniping from the dark corners. Regrettably there is no getting around the Dealership being a hub of activity and the PCA president should have a good working relationship with them. If the dealership really is that bad, consensus will build on your side. Maybe best to step back for a bit. Being bitter over this will hurt you more than it will them.

Last edited by 78F350; 11-11-2017 at 04:38 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #5

Doesn’t each PCA chapter have a designated Porsche Dealer Liason to help work out problems members may be having? 5-6 million people is a decent sized city, but if the other dealers sold out there must not have been enough of a market for them all to thrive, the dealer wouldn’t have paid huge amounts just to shut them down.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
No offense but your story seems a little fishy without any more info than your providing. Did you buy the used Porsche from this dealer? What were the problems that you and others had with them? Anyone spending the kind if money it would take to buy 5 Porsche franchises just close them makes no sense.
can't tell you anything else without the dealership finding out who I am and me being blackballed by the PCA.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Doesn’t each PCA chapter have a designated Porsche Dealer Liason to help work out problems members may be having? 5-6 million people is a decent sized city, but if the other dealers sold out there must not have been enough of a market for them all to thrive, the dealer wouldn’t have paid huge amounts just to shut them down.
I don't know the specifics about closing the other porsche dealership, but the lamborghini dealerships are doing fine, along with the bentley and the rolls-royce, so the local market seems to be there for other exotics.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Small town of 5-6 million people?
Yea right
This sounds like a load of bullcrap
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Yea right
This sounds like a load of bullcrap
Do you want me to call it a large town? Your complaint is that I called 6 million people a "small town"?

Sorry then, I'll edit my post, I'll just remove that part entirely if it makes you feel better.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #10

What do you want? I'm lost.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #11
inveniam viam aut faciam

This thread is useless without SOME specifics. Maybe it is time to just move on...
Old 11-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
This thread is useless without SOME specifics. Maybe it is time to just move on...
what specifics do you need? New bad dealership, only dealership, local PCA doesn't care. What is missing?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I think I understand better now then when I wrote my first reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschequestions View Post
... Is there anything that can be done? Besides giving up on Porsche?
For you? Probably not. (Consider a BMW.)

Quote:
p.s. I posted this on rennlist yesterday and admin deleted it within 4 hours, ...
Good for them.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg View Post
small town of 5-6 million people?
Yea right
this sounds like a load of bullcrap
+1000 percent
Old 11-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
what specifics do you need? New bad dealership, only dealership, local PCA doesn't care. What is missing?
After thinking about it maybe your right. I'm starting to think its a big conspiracy. I think that dealer is out get you. You should move to a smaller town. Ya know, maybe only a couple million people.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
With all due respect, with zero specifics, your statement comes across as sour grapes.
My community has zero Porsche dealerships and no active PCA. And I'm not driving
an hour to visit a dealer or if it exists, join that communities PCA.

Are you have specific issues with the vehicle? If so, find a trustworthy local indy. You'll likely get better return on your investment anyway.
RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
Damn Yankee

Garage
With all due respect, why is this so-called "issue" being brought up on this particular forum?

Just seems like bollocks to me.

Just sayin'...............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #18
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The Los Angeles area has 9 Porsche dealers and about 20 million people. Not sure where you would find 5-6 dealerships with only 5-6 million people. I also doubt anyone could afford to buy up dealerships just to close them, nor do I think Porsche North America would allow it. If you have a problem with your local PCA reach out to the National PCA HQ for guidance.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:30 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
The Los Angeles area has 9 Porsche dealers and about 20 million people. Not sure where you would find 5-6 dealerships with only 5-6 million people. I also doubt anyone could afford to buy up dealerships just to close them, nor do I think Porsche North America would allow it. If you have a problem with your local PCA reach out to the National PCA HQ for guidance.
PCA is not tiny. Reaching out to the national organization is exactly what you should do. I'm also guessing that the local chapter doesn't want to piss off the only dealer in town because they'd lose a major partner for discounts and events.

More than anything I'm not sure what you expect any of us to do. This is a forum for cars that haven't been produced in 13 years. Most of us never see a dealership. Id hardly call this corruption though.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Fun fact... Sydney, the most populous city in Australia (in fact the whole of Oceania), has almost exactly 5 million people, and is almost exactly the same size as the LA metropolitan area. We do have 3 Porsche dealers though! That's all, I've got nothing more to add

oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote