Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
ed0

Garage
Custom DIY Muffler Mod

Hey all,
I'm thinking about gutting a Boxster S muffler and doing this design. What do you think? I've been thinking about fabricating a muffler bypass pipe, but I've stumbled upon a cheap muffler and this could possibly look and sound better.

Thanks,
Eli

ed0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Looks like a good plan.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

It does look like a good plan. But a lot of work. I've repacked a set of motorcycle mufflers and it was a filthy job so working inside a Boxster muffler is less than appealing. My welding skills are almost non existent and that project would take a fair bit of attention. Any way, that's just me. I took the external route and couldn't be happier with the sound, although I had just shy of $500 in the muffler. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:56 AM   #4

Not a bad design but what do I know ? If you go this route please weigh the muffler before and after . I am not a fan of the boat anchor weight of the OEM muffler .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #5

What i think? Hm, maybe you don't want to know,

But i have an advise: study what general types of muffler types / absorption systems are used in the automotive industry.

And i have a hint for you; Porsche 986 mufflers are reflection silencers,

So before designing st… thiings and putting a Copyright on a sh… diagram, you should first do a little homework.

Just my 2 cents…

Regards
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
ed0

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
What i think? Hm, maybe you don't want to know,

But i have an advise: study what general types of muffler types / absorption systems are used in the automotive industry.

And i have a hint for you; Porsche 986 mufflers are reflection silencers,

So before designing st… thiings and putting a Copyright on a sh… diagram, you should first do a little homework.

Just my 2 cents…

Regards
Was just throwing it out there to see what people think before I did it... not trying to offend anyone. Didn't claim to know much about it, but thanks for constructive criticism
Old 10-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
ed0

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Not a bad design but what do I know ? If you go this route please weigh the muffler before and after . I am not a fan of the boat anchor weight of the OEM muffler .
Will do
Old 10-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
ed0

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Newby View Post
It does look like a good plan. But a lot of work. I've repacked a set of motorcycle mufflers and it was a filthy job so working inside a Boxster muffler is less than appealing. My welding skills are almost non existent and that project would take a fair bit of attention. Any way, that's just me. I took the external route and couldn't be happier with the sound, although I had just shy of $500 in the muffler. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
I was thinking about doing this, but I stumbled upon a cheap S muffler and thought it'd look and maybe sound better given the spare muffler. May resort to this though!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed0 View Post
Was just throwing it out there to see what people think before I did it... not trying to offend anyone. Didn't claim to know much about it, but thanks for constructive criticism
No need to apologize.
the idea you presented is very basic , but yet not performed by anyone on this forum
(for the best of my knowledge).
if you want to give it a try, go for it.
at the end of the day, when doing an exhaust mode, you are looking for 4 basic things (in my mind).
1. great sound.
2. increase in performance.
3. weight reduction.
4. no dron.

in the design presented by keith, also known as the "pedro hack", the result is known.
you are going to get number 1and 4.
in your design, it's unknown. as no one attempted it before.
here are some links to other threads, that will help you understand the internal structure of the boxster muffler a bit better .
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/49181-two-oem-mufflers.html
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49807-my-homemade-pse-exhaust-mod-soon-underway-input-please.html
good luck in any route you will take.

Last edited by Meir; 10-10-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #10

I may have invented another crazy muffler mod.

Whilst doing a Crios mod last year, my drill bit fell inside the muffler!
It has been rattling around ever since so I have a spare s muffler which I will fit sometime.

Soo I thought I would recover the drill bit so I drilled/cut a hole on the underside of muffler - halfway from front to back and inline with outlet tip in a flat area. Using a magnet and borescope I recovered the drill. I was going to cut an alloy patch for the hole and screw or rivet it on..... BUT I had to start the car to see what it would sound like

Well...... it sounds pretty darn good! Instead of sounding like an exhaust leak it has a deep growl like a sport exhaust! No drone and a nice burble on the over run!

I guess it is just a more extreme Crios mod as the opening is still in the central chamber - just a more direct exit.
I also feel that I have got back the low down torque I lost when I put on the secondary cat delete pipes.

Obviously this would not pass a smog visual check but I wonder if the opening was on top of the muffler it could have a pipe routing to the exhaust tips. A sort of bypass.

I will take some photos and video in the next few days.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #11

I was planning to do the cat delete thing along with Pedro's bypass but reading that low end torque is lost by deleting the secondary cats has me rethinking this route. So...how much torque is lost?
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
I was planning to do the cat delete thing along with Pedro's bypass but reading that low end torque is lost by deleting the secondary cats has me rethinking this route. So...how much torque is lost?
Between 0 and none
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Between 0 and none
I don't feel I lost any either, I do still have the first set of cats present though, 2000 S
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #14

Thanks guys. Onward then...
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
I have welded in the bypass pipes (PSE style) and the secondary cat delete pipes from Ebay. Sounds so good and I don't feel like I've lost any torque.

m332is is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster , diy , exhaust , mod , muffler