Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
2004 Boxster S

Two OEM mufflers, which is which?

I'm scheming on an exhaust hack, and have come across the following two pics of OEM mufflers cut open. I'm under the impression that the simpler one with no chambers (second pic) is from a facelift car or an S, or both. Anyone know for sure?

evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #2

Garage
The one with tape on the tips Pic#2 is a mod that's not OEM on any car. I'm about to mod mine but have not done it yet. I'm going to add a small 2" U pipe on the back side to go from the second chamber to the outer chamber on each side. The car will look OEM from the outside.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagdisco03 View Post
The one with tape on the tips Pic#2 is a mod that's not OEM on any car. I'm about to mod mine but have not done it yet. I'm going to add a small 2" U pipe on the back side to go from the second chamber to the outer chamber on each side. The car will look OEM from the outside.
I guess I can imagine the second one not being OEM, but it doesn't look like something a hobbyist came up with either. In any case, if you're correct and all OEM cans are like pic 1, then my hack will be easier-- like yours, except I'm going to do electric valves in the bypass piping so I can adjust the noise level as desired.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

Found this thread.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/28155-anyone-try-boxster-exhaust.html
rijc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
2004 Boxster S

Yup, I've seen that one, that where I found the second exhaust originally. Both exhausts are presented as OEM by the posters, with one from a 2001 S, and the other one possibly from a '03. So my question remains...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

Need Johnny to chime in. And Jacabean.

I'm looking for a more aggressive tone out of my exhaust. Was considering the Pedro mod but at the same time a little hesitant on hacking my muffler without more research.

Last edited by rijc99; 10-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #7

Garage
I posted the bottom photo - showing the amount of wadding the oem muffler is stuffed with. As far as a recommendation is concerned, I learned long ago that exhaust sound is very subjective and a highly debatable. Therefore, I refrain from giving any suggestions at this point.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I posted the bottom photo - showing the amount of wadding the oem muffler is stuffed with. As far as a recommendation is concerned, I learned long ago that exhaust sound is very subjective and a highly debatable. Therefore, I refrain from giving any suggestions at this point.
No subjective auditory suggestions needed, but enquiring minds want to know which of these mufflers is which. If the pic you posted is in fact of an OEM muffler, then the question remains what model/year it came from. My suspision is that your pic is the "new and improved" version on facelift cars and that the chambered version is pre-2003. But no one seems to know for sure.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification that the innards are stock.

Is the muffler pictured from your car? '00 S if I remember correctly right?

If so, it would appear the S mufflers have a slightly different internal design than the non-S ones.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
No subjective auditory suggestions needed, but enquiring minds want to know which of these mufflers is which. If the pic you posted is in fact of an OEM muffler, then the question remains what model/year it came from. My suspision is that your pic is the "new and improved" version on facelift cars and that the chambered version is pre-2003. But no one seems to know for sure.
It's my understanding, that the the image in question is of an oem euro spec muffler. How the internals differ from that of a US spec model, I'm not sure. However, my initial reason for posting the image - was to show the amount of sound deadening material the oem muffler contains.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
It's my understanding, that the the image in question is of an oem euro spec muffler. How the internals differ from that of a US spec model, I'm not sure. However, my initial reason for posting the image - was to show the amount of sound deadening material the oem muffler contains.
I have been digging around and can't seem to find anything to indicate that there was a euro spec version of the muffler. If you look at this from Porsche's perspective, it would raise costs to have two versions of the same can for different markets. I doubt they would do this unless there was a really good reason (as they did with the USA pre-cats to meet emissions.)

No question that JD is right, that is a sheepload of wool that came out of that second muffler, whatever it is. Which makes it even more interesting that the version with chambers (which everyone agrees is OEM from some period or another) has no insulation, just chambers/baffles.

At then end of the day I guess I just have to buy someone's used 2003-2004 muffler and drill a hole in it to see whats inside before I make a plan to start modding it.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #12

Does anyone have access to check part numbers?

I would check the muffler part numbers for:

2000 Boxster
2000 Boxster S

2003 Boxster
2003 Boxster S

Maybe the top picture is for non S Boxsters and the bottom more direct muffler for the S?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
Does anyone have access to check part numbers?

I would check the muffler part numbers for:

2000 Boxster
2000 Boxster S

2003 Boxster
2003 Boxster S

Maybe the top picture is for non S Boxsters and the bottom more direct muffler for the S?
I found the following by looking on ebay and some parts sites, these appear to be actual OEM numbers as evidenced by the listing having a photo or even a pic of the part number stamped in the muffler. I have no idea if the years (or even the numbers) are correct, but its clear that there are a lot of different versions of these cans. It seems the different years/non-S/S are not the only factors, but that each exhaust tip style generates its own part number for the whole muffler...

996.111.142.02 (?)
996.111.114.05 (00-02)
996.111.121.07 (-99)
996.111.151.01 (00-02 non S according to the ad)
996.111.141.05 (00-03 S)

The Dansk OEM mufflers below are at least separated by non-S and S. Some of these are OEM style and a couple match the OEM part numbers. I'm going to take a guess here that the Dansk "Sport Exhaust, OE style" might be the one we're seeing in JD's pic, freer flowing with tons of insulation, while the standard OEM muffler has the chambers and all of them in OE style look the same outside except the tips. But who knows.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #14

Garage
I recall hearing years ago - how some boxster enthusiasts raved about the increase in sound quality after they cut open their oem mufflers and remove all of the insulation. This of course involved re-welding it.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
I recall hearing years ago - how some boxster enthusiasts raved about the increase in sound quality after they cut open their oem mufflers and remove all of the insulation. This of course involved re-welding it.
Interesting. I envision that empty muffler being a very loud drone bomb, but I'm not the expert. Seems likely that there are a variety of these mufflers out there, though your pic is the only one I can find with the wadding whereas there are many pics of the chambered ones. Someone must know for sure.

Lucky for me I can TIG weld, so whatever donor muffler I find I have options. Though it would be nice to know what I'm looking for before I go buy one. I'll have to crawl under the box next time I have a chance and read the muffler part number, so I can at least look for the same thing. Evan's homemade PSE, here we come. :-)
Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #16

Garage
I have the Dansk polished Sport "OE" style. It is a 2000 S shell polished with no packing. I don't know if the pipe routing is different but it has a mild higher pitch sound & zero drone.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Interesting. I envision that empty muffler being a very loud drone bomb, but I'm not the expert. Seems likely that there are a variety of these mufflers out there, though your pic is the only one I can find with the wadding whereas there are many pics of the chambered ones. Someone must know for sure.

Lucky for me I can TIG weld, so whatever donor muffler I find I have options. Though it would be nice to know what I'm looking for before I go buy one. I'll have to crawl under the box next time I have a chance and read the muffler part number, so I can at least look for the same thing. Evan's homemade PSE, here we come. :-)
Research (Jeff) Korda boxster exhaust mod. That might give you some answers.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #18

Here's one that available for cutting and modding.

2000 Porsche Boxster s 986 Exhaust Muffler 99611114105 | eBay
Old 10-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #19
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Research (Jeff) Korda boxster exhaust mod. That might give you some answers.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately there is very little information on Korda, regardless of where I search. So far I've managed to find out that he cut open and modded the internals of Boxster mufflers. Beyond that, nada.

Ah well, I'm not in a hurry to mod anything, so I'll take my time and keep researching. When I finally buy a donor muffler to match the one already on my car, I'll have a peek inside.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Back to this subject.

Having just opened up an OEM muffler from a 2000 S, I can tell you that there is no sound deadening insulation inside. This experience, and having seen several others' cut open stock mufflers has led me to conclude that no OEM muffler is full of insulation, these work on good old principles of noise cancellation only.

So the mystery muffler in this thread with all the wadding is still a mystery, but its not an OEM can.