Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 05:21 AM   #1

Whats better Triptonic or Manual Boxster?

Im a newbie looking for a 2003/2005 used Boxster
Which are the advantages of Triptonic over manual gearbox or viceversa.

Which is faster a Manual Boxster or Triptonic?
Which is more reliable and less maintenance?
Which is more fun?

motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoadve

Which is more fun?
I am sure that you will get a couple of more replies from people with a broader experience in the differences but here is my 2 cents worth:

On the street, I doubt if the manual will be that much faster. If you are buying it for the track that may be another story entirely. I think that the Tiptronics are so advanced now there would be very little difference. I just read a review in one of the British Porsche magazines that the new turbo actually ran slightly faster with the Tiptronic.

Obviously, if you go with the Tiptrnic you will never have to replace a clutch which in this car may be quite expensive labor wise.

IMHO-The manual is always more fun. Course I am pretty old school about things like that.

One other big advantage the Tip has over the manual is that if you are planning to use this as a daily driver and you live in a city where you must drive a lot in congested traffic, you may want to go with a Tip to save the wear and tear on your legs.

I really love cities like NY, Chicago and LA but I honestly don't know how people can bare to drive a stick in all that traffic every day. That would make me nuts.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:49 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoadve

Which is more fun?

Drive both many times. The answer is not in your head, it is in your heart!

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:52 AM   #4

The manual is definately quicker and gives you a feeling of better control. Easier to shift gears when cornering too. The only way you can shift gears on the tip is on the steering wheel (which can be a bit awkward at first)but it easier to eat drink and talk on your cell phone all at the same time while weaving in and out of traffic with the top down, a good choice if that is what you need. Can't go wrong with either. Test drive both.
05' 987 Basalt Black Sold
http://photos.imageevent.com/rainand...s/DSC04327.JPG

Last edited by jangobox; 07-18-2006 at 05:56 AM.
jangobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:54 AM   #5

It's a sports car, gotta go manual. I guess that's just my opinion but its alot more fun. The exception would be if you drive in traffic all the time, then it gets annoying.

From what I have read, if you do it right the manual will be faster as well (lower 0-60 time).

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 AM   #6

get the stick

suck it up and go stick.....I live in a suburb of chicago and am in the big city twice a week at least.....sure sitting in traffic isn't fun but you get used to it.....I went with stick primarily because....

- love at first site with the carerra white black interior but it was stick, I couldn't find that color combo anywhere....searched all through ebay and the auto traders....the dealer claimed they could get me a tip in april (it was late Jan) but the car was slated for cali so there was a chance they could have had a buyer.....who knows if it was true, regardless

- 0-60 in 6.8 tip which probably means closer to 7 flat for a 52K car!! no way, camry's would eat me up.....that was as depressing to see as when I jumped on the scales and it read 360 a while back

- lastly and I stress lastly cost, didn't come into play until after the decision was made....once I accepted I could drive stick (1st stick car) then I thought why spend the extra money.....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:04 AM   #7

definatly go manual...anyone that owns a non-stick porsche SHOULD be driving a mini van.

2000 Porsche Boxster
-Straight-piped from cats back
-MOMO race seats
-Schnell short shifter
-RJS Harness
-High flow intake
-Eibach lowering springs
-Bilstein sport shocks
kyle986driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:32 AM   #8

I'm quite happy with the tiptronic. Of course, if you are looking for a used 2003/2005 Boxster, you may wind up with whatever turns out to be the best deal for the options you want.

I don't buy the statement that anyone using a tiptronic "... should be driving a minivan." I mean, if we are going to make those statements, why not say this:

"I don't think that anyone who can't order their Boxster NEW with the OPTIONS they want, should buy a Boxster since they are only buying a car based on someone ELSE's selection of options and can't afford the car. People who buy their boxster used should probably should get a new car, perhaps something more economical with the options they want... like a Tiberon."

Obviously these statements are as ridiculous as the minivan statement, right?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #9

Kyle, as a person that has both an automatic Boxster and a minivan (Honda Odyssey), I can tell you there are many times when the van beats the crap out of the Box. Try hauling four adults and two little kids from Vegas to Santa Barbara in a Boxster some time.
Even a stick shift Box wouldn't help.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #10

I've owned both a tiptronic Boxster S and a 6-speed Boxster S. I switched because I hated the transmission lag on the track with the tiptronic. I'm chasing down a friend in his '01 S (same year and everything) and staying right behind him on the corners, even gaining a bit, then on the straight, I might as well be standing still, as I would mash the pedal just like he did but I was quickly 6 cars back, then 10, then 15, etc. The torque converter does lose power, and when you are trying to get maximum performance out of the car, you will not get it the way you will with manual transmission. I was tracking a lot and still am, so I had to go with manual this time, and I'm having a great time with it - far more challenging. All you have to do with tiptronic is worry about brake points and carrying momentum through the corners. Adding shift points, using gearing to slow you down, etc. all adds a new dimension to the track.

Now, that said, no matter how awesome you are with a clutch and manual transmission you will NEVER be faster at shifting than a tiptronic, which changes gears in something like 0.2 seconds. In a drag race (provided you overrode the 2nd gear start mode that the tiptronic has) you'd have the shifting much faster in the tiptronic. I don't think it would be faster, though, because it is a low torque car and some power is lost with the torque converter of the auto tranny. Cars like the 500hp turbo have no problem and are faster with the tiptronic, and frankly I'd rather have a tiptronic with all that power so I don't break my clutch!

If it will be your commuter car, get a tiptronic if you have any traffic around your place, as even with a nice smooth manual transmission, it's still annoying as can be in traffic on the freeway.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #11

i don't think anyone can really answer this question for you. either you want to shift or you don't. for me, it's a easier question than what car i would want. offer me a tip porsche or manual civic and i may opt for the civic.

all the pros and cons of manual vs. auto don't hold much water to me either.

- for example, clutch replacement...that happens like every 100k if you a good driver...some autos will need an complete overhaul around that time.

- or sitting in traffic...i would rather let the car roll in second (1st in the porsche) giving it gas every now and then than have the auto push me along at 10mph and then have to slam on the brakes to slow down and then stand on it until traffic moves again.
2kwiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
boggtown

A stick shift is what I recommend because it is basicaly the awesomest, but if comfort is your number 1 priority, get the tip. I couldnt live without a standard transmision, everytime I have to drive my moms car for something I try to put the key in the wrong side and step on the clutch.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #13

Here's my 2 cents - drive both and see which one you like.

Having had manual with my 911s and Tip with my Boxster - I have to say that I like them both. While I miss the times of racing around with the manual transmission, the tip is nice for it's convenience and in town driving.

About my only gripe with Tip is that the shifting is linear vs the random in a manual. Meaning if I am coming into a turn and want to go from 4th to 2nd - I have to downshift through 3rd on my tip - where as on a manual you just go from 4th to 2nd. Not really that big of a deal, you just learn to start downshifting a bit earlier.

But as someone else had mentioned - the transmission will likely depend on the car that you find. With my box, I didn't anticipate on getting a Tip. But due to the great deal + condition of the car - I couldn't pass it up.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:08 AM   #14

the first time I drove my six speed after years of driving the short shifting Miata 5 speed was interesting.
The Miata has to be one of the easiest cars to learn how to drive "a stick" on.
In a matter of five minutes I was rowing gears and after a few weeks I was fully on it and boy is that car fun to shift in.
THen I got into the Boxster. The first thing you notice is how heavy the clutch pedal is, just like on a high horsepower/torque sports car (which obviously the Miata is not). The clutch doesn't bite nearly as quickly as the Miata would.
I felt like I was about to stall the car, meanwhile that incredible sound from the Boxer engine starts to raise the hair on the back of your neck!
My eyes got bigger and bigger and then I let er rip in 2nd gear and could immeidately feel the torque that was lacking in my little Miata buddy.
Both revved in a very sporty manner, except in the Boxster everything is so much more magnified. Third gear and I'm nearly up to 90 mph in flash.The rookie salesman was about my age so he was having fun too. My friend said he could feel in his gut the first time we did a 0-100 run. He has a v8 Merc so I guess even on less power my BoxsterS had something special about it.

This whole experience whould have been very different in a tip.
But there are times sitting in NYC traffic that I would have given my left arm for a tip tronic. But then the traffic only lasts 30 minutes and snick snick snick away we go. The Boxster gear box is not one of the better ones I've driven since first learning on the Miata. This really baffles me with Porsche so proud of being a top engineering outfit. Take a spin in the S2000 and you see EXACTLY how a shifter should be. Like a precise bolt action rifle.

Rowing gears is not for everyone, chicks hate it, old guys are sick of it and some people will simply never master it. I still make mistakes all the time depending on my cafeine levels. Learning how to do it well enough to get from point a to point b is not rocket science. But doing it in seamless fashion is a very fun skill to learn.
Just remember to push your foot all the way in. People develop lazy habits that became part of their driving style to the detriment of the very expensive car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-18-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #15

If you don't drive in constant heavy traffic, then I say get the manual.
If you are in constant traffic jams everyday then your left leg might like a tip better.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 AM   #16

Personally I would prefer manual, but not by much.
Here are my 2 options of cars offered to me here in Costa Rica.

2005 new version, with 6,000 miles
Xenox
Triptronic with shifters in the steering wheel.
Silver in great condition with 1 year warranty left

For $56,000 here in Costa Rica (We pay 50% import duty)
A car has to be $37,000 at least in USA to have it for that price here.

Another option is a 2003 with 13,000 miles for $42,000
Manual gearbox
Blue Color
Warranty expired.

Im planning to keep the car many years , so I dont mind the $14,000 extra for the 2005 over the 2003.

What car would you guys choose?

It will be an everyday car , commute car with slow traffic, most of the time.
Maybe once a week a mountain ride and once a month a track day.
motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #17

Dante,
try this.
Leave your Tip in auto mode. Approach a corner at a good rate of speed. As you brake, jab the accelerator to the floor and release, like you would if you were double-clutching on a manual box downshift. The Tipper will actually JUMP from say 4th gear to second, skipping third.
This technique, or more properly an undocumented capability, was discussed in Panorama, the PCA monthly magazine, a year or two ago.
I have tried it and it does work.
I would also say it is of marginal utility, except maybe on the race track.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Dante,
try this.
Leave your Tip in auto mode. Approach a corner at a good rate of speed. As you brake, jab the accelerator to the floor and release, like you would if you were double-clutching on a manual box downshift. The Tipper will actually JUMP from say 4th gear to second, skipping third.
This technique, or more properly an undocumented capability, was discussed in Panorama, the PCA monthly magazine, a year or two ago.
I have tried it and it does work.
I would also say it is of marginal utility, except maybe on the race track.

Wow, that's a good tip. I am gonna be trying that tomorrow on the way to work. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #19

Make sure when you try it that you leave some room for error. I don't want to be blamed for that lamp post that jumped in the way.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #20

Hi,

The soundest advice here has been to drive them both and get the one you like best with nary a thought of what others may think. I have the Tip S and for me it's just fine. I own a race car and two other sports cars, and both Daily Drivers with manual trannys so I can get a fix anytime I want. The Boxster, as mentioned, brakes and handles great and this is what I enjoy most about it.

With Hybrids looming and ever-increasing needs to raise MPG and lower Emissions, the Manual Tranny is going the way of the Buggy Whip anyway, it's just a matter of time. Even the Auto will disappear in favor of the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). Cars, like Cameras, are slowly becoming Point & Shoot. Some the new Acuras will even apply the brakes if a collision is immanent, we'll all just be passengers in 20 years anyway...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote