Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #1

Parallel Universe - has this ever happeded to YOU!?!?!

Pulled in to a local java hut this morning (not my usual one) for my morning jolt and lo and behold, parked crooked across two spots is an exact replica of my 05 987S -- ok it wasn't EXACTLY the same -- ( he had deambered the front markers...) but it was a very close impersonation....

My first thought was DAMN!!!!! THAT IS ONE FINE RIDE!!!

Now... the amusing thing about this was the question in my mind of whether or not i would be able to spot the owner in the shop... Keep in mind--most SBUX in OC @ 7am are packed full with caffiene junkies so i had quite a cast of characters from which to choose.

I don't mind admitting i was quite hopeful that i wasn't a chix --especially a big woman--and i also didn't want it to be some senior clinging to the last vestiges of his youth....(The former for obvious reasons and the latter cuz it hits just a little too close to home) Anyway, i quickly narrowed it down to two --- A guy in his late 20's early 30's, -- or a guy in late 30's to mid 40's -- both looked professional, but the older guy exuded a definite air of coolness..... (oh yeah..the younger guy ordered a frou frou venti, frappe, soy vanilla double shot fagarino or something like that.... ) So of course, i guess on the side of coolness... and of course i am right on the money.

Circumstances prevented me from talking to the guy, but he did see me in mine as we pulled out of the lot-- we both smiled knowing we had knowing best looking vechiles around....not to mention that Steve McQueen cool.

SOME MISC COMMENTS:
Of course it is my personal opinion, but i don't like taking 2 spots to park...esp in a lot with limited spaces-- i think it perpetuates the myth of P owners being self-important pricks--- but to each is own and hey! maybe i'll think different after i get my first ding. One other comment--no offense meant towards the older guys--as i am sure i am considered in their camp by many of the younger set -- just dont ever wanna be "the old guy acting like the young guy" -- so shoot me if you ever see me in baggy pants and giant designer labled sunglasses

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #2

well see you can take up up two spots but you can't do it near the coffe shop.
That's having it both ways.

For me parking in between cars is a no way jose. I park on the empty side of the lot which heavens help us is a whole 30 seconds of an extra walk away.
People are sooo lazy. an extra bit of a walk to preserve your doors is no no.
They'll sit there and wait five minutes for a customer to pull out of one those coveted near the front door of the market spots. As they chug their big gulp.

My lady friend and I had this discussion the other day on a trip to the mall in her car. She instinctively pulled her car inbetween two cars even though there was absolutely clear and empty parking spots not more than 8 feet away.
I pointed to a car car near us with a what look like a bullet hole (just a ding) in the passenger door and I said "you want one of those?" She was totally indiferent. "you're crazy" was her answer.
(x her off the marrigae list).

As far as being able to spot the P-car owner, I usually guess the middle aged guy wearing a ball cap, sunglasses, some really not hip jeans and a polo shirt.
If its a Boxster its well actually I rarely see a young Boxster owner.
I used to park in a lot where another Arctic silver 986 was parked next to me everyday. The attendant told me it belonged to a really hot looking south american woman who wanted to know where I got my soft top cover. I was happy to oblige and give her some Boxster info
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
They'll sit there and wait five minutes for a customer to pull out of one those coveted near the front door of the market spots. As they chug their big gulp.
Unless they see a nice sports car parked out in the middle of nowhere and they'll end up right next to it.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
boggtown

I guess I break the stereotype by being young . But ya, more moderately young guys than very old or young. Except for corvettes, half are owned by people over 50, or buicks...95% over 60. I heard that not one woman has ever bought an acura nsx, but how many women get boxsters?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
She was totally indiferent. "you're crazy" was her answer.
(x her off the marrigae list).
Ah, a man with high standards. I've never respected you more than today!

I wish I had put my wife through this kind of litmus test before we married. It's my only complaint... she's simply not enough of a car person to avoid door dings by parking away from other cars.

But in her defense, she will tell me that she purposely parked close to the front doors because she didn't feel safe walking across an empty parking lot. You gotta bite your tongue when you hear that. Her safety is more important than any automobile.

I daydream of trading my 10 year old Lexus in on a new body style CPO BMW 530i, which will happen next year I think. But, I will have nightmares about her ability to get at least one door ding in a pristine car within 30 days of ownership.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Ah, a man with high standards. I've never respected you more than today!

I wish I had put my wife through this kind of litmus test before we married. It's my only complaint... she's simply not enough of a car person to avoid door dings by parking away from other cars.

But in her defense, she will tell me that she purposely parked close to the front doors because she didn't feel safe walking across an empty parking lot. You gotta bite your tongue when you hear that. Her safety is more important than any automobile.

I daydream of trading my 10 year old Lexus in on a new body style CPO BMW 530i, which will happen next year I think. But, I will have nightmares about her ability to get at least one door ding in a pristine car within 30 days of ownership.
Oh yes, the wifey. I've had my Boxster for over a year now and have yet to add any bumper scratches or door dings. My wife got her car and within a week there was a dent in the bumper. Any my Boxster is no garage queen either - I drive it every day year round. My old old Jeep? Great condition after 10 years. My wife's Grand Am? Gave it away after 10 years....

What seems to have saved the Boxster from mysterious dings after my wife drives it is - well, she doesn't drive it. That's not to say she's not allowed to drive it, because she is. But, I've found that she no longer wants to drive a manual. So, if your wife is the same way - maybe that's the way around it - unless this is a replacement for "her" car....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #7

Randall ......these young whipersnappers are wise beyond their years!

I too will park on the South 40 (or is it the North 40!?!?!) to avoid close contact to potential vandals!!!

My wife has learned to limit her protestations to a big eye-roll---

RD

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

Old 07-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #8

I park in the "good exercise Zone" as RonDog does. Wife does same. Learned the hard way in non-Pcar to avoid the area surround shopping cart returns.

Only problem she had was taking two spaces in an empty lot that filled up after she parked. Some cretin splashed milkshake on it. Coulda been worse, I know.

As far as lot safety goes, not good for women to park next to cars (especially vans) as that makes abduction easier for sickos.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I've found that the farther away i park from cars theres always some a-hole that wants to come park right next to me for no reason. My car is a 2001 which was bought brand new and through the years even with all the precautions i have ended up with 3dings and 2scratches....
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #10

most dings are not the end of the world. I had two removed from the door and left rear quarter panel for only like $100 on my last visit to the stealership. This fee is COMPLETELY negotiable. Given the MINISCULE amount of time it takes to remove a ding, well it will require a real ball buster to say "no forget it Mr.Cheapskate Porsche guy" to a lower offer. I guarantee they'll accept the lower offer if there is not a qeue of cars waiting to be un-dinged.
But its the time hassle!

Chicks are bad with cars all around. I will never buy a second hand commuter car from a senora. And don't get started on their driving, yapping on the cell phone about what her stupid girlfriend said to her other stupid girlfriend, braking instead of lifting, talking to passengers by looking at them in the rear view, mirrors are set all wrong, drive with one hand on the wheel, one hand on the shifter, they shuffle the wheel, don't use signal lights, stick too close to the car in front, drive too slow in the passing lane, drive too fast on the outside lane of an off ramp, oh yeah I did get started didn't I?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-19-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog
(oh yeah..the younger guy ordered a frou frou venti, frappe, soy vanilla double shot fagarino or something like that.... )
Did any body else find that as funny as I did? Good stuff r-dog.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #12

Jeph--- good to know there's someone who recognizes talent when he sees it.....

dbth---- "total dick manuver", couldn't have said it better myself, but he was; after all, my alter ego--- so i though i'd better give him the benefit of the doubt.

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

Old 07-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #13

I once watched a lady push her shopping cart out of a grocery store in the pouring rain. Stop in front of her Ford Expedition, load up her bags and jump in out of the rain only to realize she had left the cart right in front of her truck while she hastily jumped in out of the rain. What to do?? No problem, she just started up the truck and inched forward, careful not to scratch her front bumper and pushed the cart out of the way and then she drove off. Well this set the cart to rolling down an incline at an ever increasing rate until it crashed into the side of another parked car. A classic maneuver.

It's a jungle out there.