Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #21

Done! One 'emptying out' of the cartridge and the level is perfect. It wasn't too overfilled, but I'd rather it not at all. Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 06-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #22
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
I am sure most know what a Mity Vac is. Miine came from HF and I use it to change my brake fluids on my Cars and Truck. I thought about seeing how much oil I could remove from the engine via the dip stick tube. I had a small piece of clear tubing about 48 or so inches and connected it to my MV. When inserting the clear tubing down the dip stick tube it stopped sliding down around 18 inches. I removed it and cut of the tip at a sharp angle. It then slid all the way deep into the sump.....I was able to remove approximately 5 oz of oil in 3 or 4 minutes. I am thinking you could remove a 1/2 to 1 quart within a short while if need be. It seems to be easier to remove the oil and continue to check until it's at the correct level. Big plus, it's without creating a mess and dealing with the oil filter.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I am sure most know what a Mity Vac is. Miine came from HF and I use it to change my brake fluids on my Cars and Truck. I thought about seeing how much oil I could remove from the engine via the dip stick tube. I had a small piece of clear tubing about 48 or so inches and connected it to my MV. When inserting the clear tubing down the dip stick tube it stopped sliding down around 18 inches. I removed it and cut of the tip at a sharp angle. It then slid all the way deep into the sump.....I was able to remove approximately 5 oz of oil in 3 or 4 minutes. I am thinking you could remove a 1/2 to 1 quart within a short while if need be. It seems to be easier to remove the oil and continue to check until it's at the correct level. Big plus, it's without creating a mess and dealing with the oil filter.
Be damned careful using that thing to pull oil out of the sump. There are a lot of things down there that the tube can get hung up on, requiring pulling the sump cover to get it out. We have had more than one Porsche with a dip stick tube flat bedded to the shop because of this. Bad idea, period.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #24
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Be damned careful using that thing to pull oil out of the sump. There are a lot of things down there that the tube can get hung up on, requiring pulling the sump cover to get it out. We have had more than one Porsche with a dip stick tube flat bedded to the shop because of this. Bad idea, period.
I wrapped a piece of electrical tape around the clear tubing based on the measurement of the dip stick. Also the engine was cold. Should not get hung up on anything I would think. However thanks for your alert! Would you comment on the reason cars have been flat bedded to the shop because of a dip stick tube. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #25

Funny thing about mity vac...
Required for our 4-stroke Yamaha waverunners.

Works great on our E36&46 BMW's
Stinks on one Son's 2005 Mustang and our two 2002 4Runners.
Never tried it on the Box.
Lawn mower...excellent!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I wrapped a piece of electrical tape around the clear tubing based on the measurement of the dip stick. Also the engine was cold. Should not get hung up on anything I would think. However thanks for your alert! Would you comment on the reason cars have been flat bedded to the shop because of a dip stick tube. Thanks!
The plastic hose used to suck the oil out was inserted down the dipstick tube, but became entangled in the various air/oil separator's and baffles in the sump and could not be pulled back out. This prevented the dipstick from being reinstalled either because the hose was hanging out in the rear trunk, or had broken off, blocking the dipstick. Result was a couple of hours of shop time, plus the price of flat bedding the cars to the shop, all because someone tried to save some time/effort. Like I said earlier, bad idea.............
Old 06-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
Done! One 'emptying out' of the cartridge and the level is perfect. It wasn't too overfilled, but I'd rather it not at all. Thanks everyone for the help!
First of all I don't know very much about Boxster engines. That out of the way, I can't see how just that small amount of oil would make any diff. If it's not smoking or running bad, no check engine light etc. Just curious.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
First of all I don't know very much about Boxster engines. That out of the way, I can't see how just that small amount of oil would make any diff. If it's not smoking or running bad, no check engine light etc. Just curious.
I have less experience and knowledge than you on this engine But when the message is consistent about not running it overfilled with oil, I don't want to chance it. I had an MGB that I would run with an extra 1/4 to 1/2 quart ... but nothing ever happened to that engine, it also didn't have such tight tolerances that the M96 appears to have.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #29
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The plastic hose used to suck the oil out was inserted down the dipstick tube, but became entangled in the various air/oil separator's and baffles in the sump and could not be pulled back out. This prevented the dipstick from being reinstalled either because the hose was hanging out in the rear trunk, or had broken off, blocking the dipstick. Result was a couple of hours of shop time, plus the price of flat bedding the cars to the shop, all because someone tried to save some time/effort. Like I said earlier, bad idea.............

Thanks for explaining ones problem routing tubing down the dip stick tube. Would you agree the tubing would not get itself entangled with parts you mentioned if the tubing went no deeper than the dip stick?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Quote:
I have less experience and knowledge than you on this engine But when the message is consistent about not running it overfilled with oil, I don't want to chance it. I had an MGB that I would run with an extra 1/4 to 1/2 quart ... but nothing ever happened to that engine, it also didn't have such tight tolerances that the M96 appears to have.
The reason I ask is I have the same reading on my dash gauge. Runs great, no smoking, no check eng light. Checking my dipstick, its on the top of the full line as best I can tell. Oils so clean and it's hard to see/read this type of stick. Just wondering if I should do what you did or not.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #31
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
The reason I ask is I have the same reading on my dash gauge. Runs great, no smoking, no check eng light. Checking my dipstick, its on the top of the full line as best I can tell. Oils so clean and it's hard to see/read this type of stick. Just wondering if I should do what you did or not.
I painted the tip of my dip stick on my VW diesel silver. That way I could easily see the black oil. Not sure if it would work on the Porsche. Just a thought!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #32

Pulled my filter cover off and drained it because my dash gauge also showed all bars lit. Thought it might take care of it like the OP did. While I was doing this I took a pic of my filter an it looked like it had shiny bits in the pic. I removed it and put a new one on because I wanted to see what it was. Ended up it was just the flash making the oil sparkle. I cut open the old filter and this the only thing (besides some dirt) I found in it.

Oh and my dash gauge still has all bars lit.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:51 AM   #33

This is the largest piece of whatever that was in my filter. No metal in the oil, used magnet. This looked like a piece of sand but I think it may be plastic. Picked it up with tweezers and it desolved with minimal effort. Water pump fan piece? Seems to be off white in color. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by JBauer; 07-08-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #34

Quote:
This is the largest piece of whatever that was in my filter. No metal in the oil, used magnet. This looked like a piece of sand but I think it may be plastic. Picked it up with tweezers and it desolved with minimal effort. Water pump fan piece? Seems to be off white in color. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance
Thinking of emptying out another cartridge full of oil tomorrow and see how that effects the dash oil gauge. Any opinions on stuff found in my oil ⤵⤵⤵
Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 AM   #35

Normal............