Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #1

Ignition keys and keyless entry

I bought my 03 boxster used and it has only one key. They key and the boxster operate exactly as they are supposed to. I have searched and reviewed this problem on several forums and have a plan that may work around the $410 that the Dealership wants for a second key. First I want to run the plan by you all for comment.

The plan is as follows:

1. Buy a couple of Volkswagen keys that fit and get them cut for my car.
2. Take the transducer pill from my working key and epoxy it in the vicinity of the ignition switch.
3. Buy a keyless entry system on ebay and install it under the seat wired to the door key switch wires and lights and trunk release like has been documented on this forum.

I could use some help in finding the right Volkswagen key blanks.

Thanks in advance for your comments. :dance:

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It worked for me. No problems in several cars for over 2 years now.
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/56448-diy-making-cheap-spare-keys.html
Hardest part has been getting a locksmith to agree to cut the keys.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #3

Sounds like it'll work. The keys are just normal HAA key blanks as far as I know, my local key cutter had no problem cutting me a new one.

If you look on ebay you'll find keyless entry kits that come with HAA flip keys, maybe just get one of them and just take them to be copied from your working key.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
I bought my 03 boxster used and it has only one key. They key and the boxster operate exactly as they are supposed to. I have searched and reviewed this problem on several forums and have a plan that may work around the $410 that the Dealership wants for a second key. First I want to run the plan by you all for comment.

The plan is as follows:

1. Buy a couple of Volkswagen keys that fit and get them cut for my car.
2. Take the transducer pill from my working key and epoxy it in the vicinity of the ignition switch.
3. Buy a keyless entry system on ebay and install it under the seat wired to the door key switch wires and lights and trunk release like has been documented on this forum.

I could use some help in finding the right Volkswagen key blanks.

Thanks in advance for your comments. :dance:
Just be aware in doing this, you have permanently disabled the car's security system, making it stealable................
Old 06-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #5

Be aware that aftermarket security systems, stereos and the like ar a major source of electrical gremlins.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #6

You may want to (if you haven't already) look into piecemealing a key together. I was in the same boat as you, and didn't want to pay the $400-$500 the dealer wanted. I bought a new key head with tag/pill on eBay for $125, bought a HAA key blank for $5 and had it cut locally for $20, and then paid the dealer their still outrageous $115 to program everything.

All in a little over $250 (and still not a bargain) but better than the original prices above. Plus, I got keep everything factory.
agrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #7

Last I checked (about year ago), the cost of a new key was $136.00 for a 3 button key. Dealer charged 1/2 hour of labor, about $45.00.

SO for a tatol $180.00 plus about an hour in the dealer I ended up with a new key.

Did you try Suncoast Porsche for a new key head?
emore93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emore93 View Post
Did you try Suncoast Porsche for a new key head?
Brumos Porsche (sorry, Porsche of Jacksonville ) beat Suncoast's price for a complete key, in my case. FWIW.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Brumos Porsche (sorry, Porsche of Jacksonville ) beat Suncoast's price for a complete key, in my case. FWIW.
I am wondering what you were charged for your new key?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I am wondering what you were charged for your new key?
They quoted me $193 w/ tax for a new key and remote. Programming extra, of course, but that's with service and not parts.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 06-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #11

Thanks for all your responses and assurances. My dealer in West Houston wants $185 for the key, and will not accept I bring the key from somewhere else. Moreover they want $70 to cut the key and $140 for programming. After taxes, all in $410. They make it very difficult to assemble this key from cost effective sources because they have the programming no one else seems to have.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:47 AM   #12
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
Thanks for all your responses and assurances. My dealer in West Houston wants $185 for the key, and will not accept I bring the key from somewhere else. Moreover they want $70 to cut the key and $140 for programming. After taxes, all in $410. They make it very difficult to assemble this key from cost effective sources because they have the programming no one else seems to have.
Independents with a PIWIS or PST2 can program keys. A local Porsche shop here can do it, but they prefer to order the keys themselves (by VIN) to ensure compatibility.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Other than the stigma of having a key fob without the Porsche crest on it , my keys have been fine for me. Total cost, $35 ea incl having the key cut. The nearest dealer or independent with a PST is over an hour drive (2-1/2 hour round trip). Add in the time cost of having to meet an appointment on their schedule, it pretty much kills a whole day.
If my cars were treasures rather than toys or I had a dealership in town, I could see putting in the effort for an original key.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Independents with a PIWIS or PST2 can program keys. A local Porsche shop here can do it, but they prefer to order the keys themselves (by VIN) to ensure compatibility.
Wise move. You'd be surprised how many people show up with keys "they got a great deal on" that are actually just expensive paper weights.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
They still will need the security codes from Porsche. That may be difficult or impossible for them to get

YMMV

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote