986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ignition keys and keyless entry (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67234)

obthomas 06-20-2017 06:12 AM

Ignition keys and keyless entry

I bought my 03 boxster used and it has only one key. They key and the boxster operate exactly as they are supposed to. I have searched and reviewed this problem on several forums and have a plan that may work around the $410 that the Dealership wants for a second key. First I want to run the plan by you all for comment.

The plan is as follows:

1. Buy a couple of Volkswagen keys that fit and get them cut for my car.
2. Take the transducer pill from my working key and epoxy it in the vicinity of the ignition switch.
3. Buy a keyless entry system on ebay and install it under the seat wired to the door key switch wires and lights and trunk release like has been documented on this forum.

I could use some help in finding the right Volkswagen key blanks.

Thanks in advance for your comments. :dance:

78F350 06-20-2017 06:24 AM

It worked for me. No problems in several cars for over 2 years now.
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/56448-diy-making-cheap-spare-keys.html
Hardest part has been getting a locksmith to agree to cut the keys.

oldskool73 06-20-2017 07:09 AM

Sounds like it'll work. The keys are just normal HAA key blanks as far as I know, my local key cutter had no problem cutting me a new one.

If you look on ebay you'll find keyless entry kits that come with HAA flip keys, maybe just get one of them and just take them to be copied from your working key.

JFP in PA 06-20-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obthomas (Post 541396)
I bought my 03 boxster used and it has only one key. They key and the boxster operate exactly as they are supposed to. I have searched and reviewed this problem on several forums and have a plan that may work around the $410 that the Dealership wants for a second key. First I want to run the plan by you all for comment.

The plan is as follows:

1. Buy a couple of Volkswagen keys that fit and get them cut for my car.
2. Take the transducer pill from my working key and epoxy it in the vicinity of the ignition switch.
3. Buy a keyless entry system on ebay and install it under the seat wired to the door key switch wires and lights and trunk release like has been documented on this forum.

I could use some help in finding the right Volkswagen key blanks.

Thanks in advance for your comments. :dance:

Just be aware in doing this, you have permanently disabled the car's security system, making it stealable................

Gelbster 06-20-2017 07:58 AM

Be aware that aftermarket security systems, stereos and the like ar a major source of electrical gremlins.

agrennan 06-20-2017 08:16 AM

You may want to (if you haven't already) look into piecemealing a key together. I was in the same boat as you, and didn't want to pay the $400-$500 the dealer wanted. I bought a new key head with tag/pill on eBay for $125, bought a HAA key blank for $5 and had it cut locally for $20, and then paid the dealer their still outrageous $115 to program everything.

All in a little over $250 (and still not a bargain) but better than the original prices above. Plus, I got keep everything factory.

emore93 06-20-2017 08:45 AM

Last I checked (about year ago), the cost of a new key was $136.00 for a 3 button key. Dealer charged 1/2 hour of labor, about $45.00.

SO for a tatol $180.00 plus about an hour in the dealer I ended up with a new key.

Did you try Suncoast Porsche for a new key head?

Deserion 06-20-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emore93 (Post 541422)
Did you try Suncoast Porsche for a new key head?

Brumos Porsche (sorry, Porsche of Jacksonville :p) beat Suncoast's price for a complete key, in my case. FWIW.

Lew 06-20-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 541452)
Brumos Porsche (sorry, Porsche of Jacksonville :p) beat Suncoast's price for a complete key, in my case. FWIW.

I am wondering what you were charged for your new key?

Deserion 06-20-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 541486)
I am wondering what you were charged for your new key?

They quoted me $193 w/ tax for a new key and remote. Programming extra, of course, but that's with service and not parts. :)

obthomas 06-20-2017 05:14 PM

Thanks for all your responses and assurances. My dealer in West Houston wants $185 for the key, and will not accept I bring the key from somewhere else. Moreover they want $70 to cut the key and $140 for programming. After taxes, all in $410. They make it very difficult to assemble this key from cost effective sources because they have the programming no one else seems to have.

Deserion 06-21-2017 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obthomas (Post 541509)
Thanks for all your responses and assurances. My dealer in West Houston wants $185 for the key, and will not accept I bring the key from somewhere else. Moreover they want $70 to cut the key and $140 for programming. After taxes, all in $410. They make it very difficult to assemble this key from cost effective sources because they have the programming no one else seems to have.

Independents with a PIWIS or PST2 can program keys. A local Porsche shop here can do it, but they prefer to order the keys themselves (by VIN) to ensure compatibility.

78F350 06-21-2017 05:46 AM

Other than the stigma of having a key fob without the Porsche crest on it :eek:, my keys have been fine for me. Total cost, $35 ea incl having the key cut. The nearest dealer or independent with a PST is over an hour drive (2-1/2 hour round trip). Add in the time cost of having to meet an appointment on their schedule, it pretty much kills a whole day.
If my cars were treasures rather than toys or I had a dealership in town, I could see putting in the effort for an original key.

JFP in PA 06-21-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 541536)
Independents with a PIWIS or PST2 can program keys. A local Porsche shop here can do it, but they prefer to order the keys themselves (by VIN) to ensure compatibility.

Wise move. You'd be surprised how many people show up with keys "they got a great deal on" that are actually just expensive paper weights.

JayG 06-21-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 541536)

They still will need the security codes from Porsche. That may be difficult or impossible for them to get

YMMV