Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7
Why are Boxsters more expensive in Canada?

US MSRP of a Boxster S is $54,600 USD
Canadian MSRP of a Boxster S is $77,900 CAD

At current exchange rates, the US car is only $62K in Canadian Dollars - $15K cheaper.

Why are cars here (in Canada) so much more expensive than in US?

gblack is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
To off-set the costs of National Health Care?
 
Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Having been born in Canada and lived there for 30 miserable years, I can say it is because everything sucks in Canada. Snow, liberals and now expensive cars.
 
Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
Having been born in Canada and lived there for 30 miserable years, I can say it is because everything sucks in Canada. Snow, liberals and now expensive cars.
Come on Cart., tell us how your really feel!
 
Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
This is how I really feel. This is why I will never return to the Communist Regine of Canada.

PS: The car in the background is mine.
 
Old 07-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Porschekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 670
You can always count on cartagena to provide our daily eye-candy.
__________________
http://www.thecarspace.com/photos/8/...1481113d25.jpg
When people risk their lives, shouldn't it be for something very important?
Well, it better be.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7
I just joined this forum hoping it would provide helpful information from intelligent people. I see I was wrong on both assumptions.
gblack is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblack
I just joined this forum hoping it would provide helpful information from intelligent people. I see I was wrong on both assumptions.
You are correct, sir! I am sure you can find a forum that better fits your expectations. Good luck.

Really, stick around, this is a great group. Very knowledgeable and helpful.
 
Old 07-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblack
I just joined this forum hoping it would provide helpful information from intelligent people. I see I was wrong on both assumptions.
A. In the 3 months I have owned my Boxster this forum has provided tons of useful information.

B. I enjoy the light athmosphere here. I would hate it just to be strickly question / answer technical talk.

C. Since you are in Canada, why would a bunch of Americans know why cars in Canada are more expensive ?
NickCats is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 116
Car?

What car?

I don't see a car.

Anyone?
Houston C4S is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
C. Since you are in Canada, why would a bunch of Americans know why cars in Canada are more expensive ?
Hey, I use to be Canadian until I decided I did not like living in a Communist Regime in all respects but name.

To answer his question, the car is more expensive because of TAXES! Without taxes Canada could not pay for the crappy medical care that they give away to refugees and terrorists. Taxes are needed to pay for all the government employees who work 2 hours a day. And lets not forget all the money to put bilingual signs on the highways that no one can read unless they are from Quebec.

Whining is a Canadian past time so do not be shocked about his reaction to our jokes. If Canadians did not whine they would have to realise they are a second rate country living in freedom only because the U.S. is so close.
 
Old 07-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
And, how about all those teeth they have to replace on those hockey players!
 
Old 07-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
Registered User
 
TriGem2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
Hey, I use to be Canadian until I decided I did not like living in a Communist Regime in all respects but name.

To answer his question, the car is more expensive because of TAXES! Without taxes Canada could not pay for the crappy medical care that they give away to refugees and terrorists. Taxes are needed to pay for all the government employees who work 2 hours a day. And lets not forget all the money to put bilingual signs on the highways that no one can read unless they are from Quebec.

Whining is a Canadian past time so do not be shocked about his reaction to our jokes. If Canadians did not whine they would have to realise they are a second rate country living in freedom only because the U.S. is so close.

Well Said....So how bout those pictures.....
__________________
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qx0rqs.jpg
2001 Boxster Artic Silver / Black Interior
-GT3 Front Bumper w/ Lip
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Well Said....So how bout those pictures.....
I am uploading the photos in the thread called "Cruising the Mountains (photos!)".....
 
Old 07-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblack
I just joined this forum hoping it would provide helpful information from intelligent people. I see I was wrong on both assumptions.
What, you don't get your one and only question answered or taken seriously and now you're going to pout and make snap judgements? What's intelligent about that? Sure some of the posts are childish - but so's making assumptions.

Sometimes I just don't get people. You want "serious" answers to "serious" questions. God forbid if anyone has a sense of humor or an alternate opinion.

Lighten up GBLACK and check some other threads than just your own. You might actually learn something. Oh, and if you stick around and contribute, you might actually have *GASP* fun!
__________________

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #16
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yeah, I gave him an intelligent answer (and according to Cartagena, a correct one) to his question 18 minutes after he asked...and I'm not even Canadian!
 
Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Yeah, I gave him an intelligent answer (and according to Cartagena, a correct one) to his question 18 minutes after he asked...and I'm not even Canadian!
Ahhhh - but are you intelligent? If you were, you would have included statistics, graphs, and footnotes. Now, where did I leave that pie chart.....
__________________

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #18
Registered User
 
donv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NW of Boston, MA
Posts: 697
Have you looked at other makes/models to see if this is a consistent trend? If so, then the "communist state" theories may have merit. If not and the feature lists/std equipment are equal on both sides of our friendly border, it is purely Porsche doing market pricing. They are masters of getting the max the market will bear for their products, and seem to have a real knack for positioning models and features to their best benefit to do this. Is the USD/CAD disparity on the base model similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblack
US MSRP of a Boxster S is $54,600 USD
Canadian MSRP of a Boxster S is $77,900 CAD

At current exchange rates, the US car is only $62K in Canadian Dollars - $15K cheaper.

Why are cars here (in Canada) so much more expensive than in US?
__________________
2001 Lapis/Black/Black, PSM, Rear Speaker Kit, Optima...
donv is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Smile

If the differential is due to a VAT or the like, I would think that this is pretty clearly marked on the invoice of the car.

If the diff is due to tariffs, that may not be so clear, as it could be bundled into the MSRP.

Either way, I would assume that this is somehow government related, as I can't see how any manufacturer could have the market power to do this. Moreover, the question I have is, if you come down to the US and buy a new Boxster, how much does the government charge you to import it to Canada?

That answer may be THE answer.

Let us know.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #20
Registered User
 
donv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NW of Boston, MA
Posts: 697
I looked into doing just this but in reverse (CAN to US) back when Hondas were selling at a premium and in short supply in the US in the 80s - my relatives in Canada were reporting the same model going for no premium/no wait north of the border.

Turns out you can't do it without getting the particular end use country's certification, which the manufacturer does for you when they import (or build domestically) the car. Otherwise, you have to do it through an agent that proves the car meets (or modifies it to meet) gov. specs and this adds $$ over any customs and tax issues. All before you can register the car.

It is this barrier to entry that allows pricing differentials across borders, which the manufacturers can then use to their advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Moreover, the question I have is, if you come down to the US and buy a new Boxster, how much does the government charge you to import it to Canada?

That answer may be THE answer.

Let us know.

__________________
2001 Lapis/Black/Black, PSM, Rear Speaker Kit, Optima...
donv is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page