Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #1

Unhappy A tradgedy

Everyone, I wanted to let you all know about a tradgedy that has occured in my life. One of my friends since childhood was killed on July 8th when he fell asleep at the wheel of his truck, ran off the road, rolled, and was thrown from the vehicle. He was not wearing his seatbelt, and was less than a quarter mile from his house. He was 22 years old (a year younger than myself).

He was a great kid and we spent many summers together vacationing at Lake Powell growing up. It was hard to say goodbye. I was angry as well as sad. He had a passion for cars, but he also had a history of issues with them. He totalled several while racing or attempting crazy stunts. He had so many speeding tickets that the police officers near his home would say "Hey Jason, how's it going?" when they pulled him over. I was planning on showing him my Boxster (though not let him drive it) as he probably would have wet himself and drooled all over my nice clean leather.

The reason I'm telling you this is this has made me much more aware of how quickly things can go sour when driving. It's a dangerous enough activity for just getting through the daily grind, but when you add that all of us have a passion for it as well, the risk increases significantly.

This accident might have been avoided if Jason had been wearing his seatbelt, or if he had simply said to his friend "Hey, I'm too tired to drive now. Can I crash here for a few hours?" As we all drive fast cars, it is more important than ever to take the proper perceautions. Buckle up! It just might save your life. And even if you have to pull off and sleep for 30 min. by the side of the road to make it home, just do it.

The most ironic twist to this is, with all his history of racing and totalling fast cars, he was killed while driving the speed limit in the tamest car he ever owned. I'll miss you buddy.

And everyone else, please be safe out there.

Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #2

Sorry to hear of your loss. Losing friends hurts in a way that's hard to describe in words, but my wife said it best when she once told me, "it's like someone cut a piece of my beating heart out of my chest and the pain won't go away."

I'll be praying for you and this man's other friends and family. Do invest the time to mourn properly.

And this is a very good reminder to all of us about driving exhausted... it's as dangerous as driving under the influence.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #3

I am truly so very so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how difficult and numbing the feeling can be. When I was about your age I lost several friends to driving accidents in a short period of time.

If you don't mind, here's my story:

Ironically, the first friend I lost to driving was also "Jason" who grew up in my neighborhood. Although a few years younger, we eventually played soccer in High School together moving up through J.V. and Varsity. He died when one of the cars in a street drag race lost lost control and hit him head on. He left behind a too young wife and beautiful twin baby girls. Anger can not begin to describe my feelings towards those who gave up his life so they could have some "fun". Words of sorrow can't describe how I feel, even now, knowing that he's not around anymore.

I don't have a problem with taking risks provided they are mine and mine alone. I do have a problem with others taking risks with MY life and those I love. Occasionally I read on this forum about how someone "beat" this car or that while generally reaching speeds of over 120 MPH. And every single time I flash back to the phone call from my best friend saying, "Jason's dead".

So you see, I don't have patience or respect for those bragging about how fast they went or which car they "killed" in a street race.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss Wintermute.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
bmussatti

Hey Wintermute, very sorry about your loss.

When I Must Leave You

When I must leave you
for a little while,
Please do not grieve
and shed wild tears
And hug your sorrow
to you through the years,
But start out bravely
with a gallant smile;
And for my sake
and in my name
Live on and do
all things the same,
Feed not your loneliness
on empty days,
But fill each waking hour
in useful ways,
Reach out your hand
in comfort and in cheer
And I in return will comfort you
and hold you near;
And never, never
be afraid to die,
For I am waiting
for you in the sky!

- Helen Steiner Rice-

This is a poem from a friend's prayer card that I lost to Leukemia in 1999. I carry it everywhere.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #5

Wintermute, a tragedy indeed. I can't imagine the loss you feel, and how unfair the situation seems...

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #6

Hi,

My condolences, a true waste...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #7

yep had two friends die and one other in the hospital for 6 months. None were wearing their seat belts. The driver was wearing his and he escaped without a scratch.
The car was struck at angle going through and intersection and the car was subsequently spun around which tossed everyone but the driver from the car head first through the windows.

also the lap portion of you seat belt should go over your thighs and not directly over your waist. Its there to keep you seated if the car flips over. Having it directly in front of your waist could cause injury to your back in hard stop.
I've never understood why seat belts from underneath the seat and across your
thighs were ever developed. The seat belt should be two seperate parts.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
olly986

i have lost both my father and his younger brother (my uncle) to traffic accident, my uncle was a passenger in a truck, the driver fell asleep and out of the 3 persons he was the only one killed, age 21 during his national service.
my dad was driving a smaller car than the one that hit him head on, the couple in the other car survived my dad did not, i know the feeling of the dreaded fone call telling you about the accidents, i am sorry for your loss and know that Jason is up there with my family looking down on us.

keep driving safely you all!!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #9

So sorry for your loss... try to remember the good times and hopefully learn something from this tradgedy. Friends are with you for ever!
My condolences.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #10

sorry indeed

I'm also very sorry indeed at your loss. Remember him fondly, take time to greave properly and heal up, learn from this. Although tragic, I appreciate the story - it helps keep us "grounded" and focused on the things that are really important.

04 Honda Element
07 Nissan Murano
rodsnhawgs is offline   Reply With Quote