Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
With all this said, what are the best preventative measures we can do to water proof our Box?

It would be nice to have photos of the leakage points.
Keep your drains clean, particularly in those seasons when trees are shedding leaves, flowers, and other debris.

Locations of Drains are well desribed in your manual

Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:16 AM   #22

I have no issues...Likely because the car has never seen rain....

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
With all this said, what are the best preventative measures we can do to water proof our Box?

It would be nice to have photos of the leakage points.
if you have torrential rains in your area and normally park outdoor, my advice is pick a permanent parking spot with this in mind e.g. under a tree, structure. Clean drains or not, heavy rain 'can' overwhelm those miniature size drains near that plastic window. Becomes a game of 'Lucky or Not". Mother nature won this time :/

Promise myself it wont happen again... man, poor car
Old 06-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #24
I am No. 1348

Garage
Perhaps we should install those electric Rule bilge pumps in that area to auto-evacuate any water that accumulates! LOL
Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
if you have torrential rains in your area and normally park outdoor, my advice is pick a permanent parking spot with this in mind e.g. under a tree, structure. Clean drains or not, heavy rain 'can' overwhelm those miniature size drains near that plastic window. Becomes a game of 'Lucky or Not". Mother nature won this time :/

Promise myself it wont happen again... man, poor car
The convertible top area has two drains on each side -- there is a foam "bucket" with
a drain hole in the bottom. If the drain hole can't support the volume of water coming into the bucket -- the escape route is over the front of the bucket and down the firewall behind the carpets.

And as has been explained -- the low point in the car stores the immobilizer under the drivers seat, w/o a drain.

One car I purchased had suffered such a fate -- I ended up pulling all the carpet out,
sucking the backside of the carpet where the padding is with a wetvac -- many times.
Then sat the whole assembly out for several weeks to dry -- and still had to wetvac some sections again. Note -- the carpet is such that despite the padding being absolutely soaked -- the top side was bone dry and didn't hint at the swamp contained beneath. So -- I'm not sure the humidifier trick will work -- but it would be far less work!

I eventually won! I even reconditioned the carpets with new carpet paint -- and they looked and smelled great.

Also note, if you have had your convertible top serviced -- it is easy to screw that up and puncture the foam buckets. The arms on each side are perfect spears.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #26

Nice explanation Mike, thanks. From the look of it we are still learning and enjoying this car. Hard way or less, still fun man

Like myself perhaps, you mush have missed the bulletin :/

^ it'd look more real with roof on
Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #27

Also make sure the steel cables that tension the roof are thread through the little fabric strip on the skirt on the hood. This seems to help the skirt fit over the foam tray. Mine was very wet under carpet when I bought it. Saw this and corrected and bone dry since and this is in Ireland where we know a thing or two about rain. I also used a dehumidifier to dry it out 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #28

Just a quick update on this one

Just got the car back and it is bone dry. As in 'crispy' dry. Not sure if that's a good thing... can picture my seat and dash leather cracking before the next weekend lolll

Thanks to Porsche for the tip! That dehumidifier technique is the way to go. I've rented the unit from a shop that specialize in renting all kinds of tools here instead of buying one, theirs had a drain hose so it made things a tad easier. I've left the car in my mate's garage nearby, set the unit on the passenger's seat, drain-hose coming out from the passenger door. That thing was dripping every 1~2 secs lolll
We had to mask/tape the door frame so to keep the car sealed as best as we could, took 8 days.

I swear the car goes much faster now. Bet there was 12,558 gallons of water trapped in that flooring insulation sponge thingy after all those 20 years.

Anyway, works well. Car is back under its cover. Promised myself this sh&* won't happen again
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #29

IMPORTANT: if you place something on your passenger seat for a long period of time, place a flat piece of something to avoid having pressure marks in the seat leather. Hope those two fugly 'holes' will eventually go away man. Caused by the rubber feet of that silly machine :/

Life's hard, learning the hard way, always. Not sure why lollll
Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #30

@Nine8Six - bit of heat and a nice relaxing massage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llZfIR3KFxs
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
@Nine8Six - bit of heat and a nice relaxing massage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llZfIR3KFxs
Finished! Thanks for the link up bud, really helped. Even an idiot could do it. I mean, the removing pressure marks with heat part

Took 20min though... 19 of those being me chicken-out, fear of discoloring those old leathers loll Once you give it a good heat, those things spreads evenly. cool stuff

Leaves a mark, but at least looks a tad more natural now loll Thanks again

View pics at www.greatest-idiots.com.cn
Old 06-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #32

The sponges under the carpets are beginning to piss me off. Just when I think my drains are clean and my interior is finally dry, a heavy rain will soak everything up and I have to start from the beginning. Can we just get rid of that spongy insulation? Will it detach from the carpet? What is it good for anyway? Sound deadening? Heat insulation? Has anyone removed it and noted any difference?

EDIT: Then again, maybe the giant sponge does serve a purpose by protecting the immobilizer from getting wet...

Last edited by Javi Cooper; 06-17-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
EDIT: Then again, maybe the giant sponge does serve a purpose by protecting the immobilizer from getting wet...
That, and noise I would assume. Removing the insulation could well make this little cabin quite noisy. Personally no idea if you can remove this layer, good question.

Let us know if you find out more info
Old 06-17-2017, 03:35 AM   #34
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Just when I think my drains are clean and my interior is finally dry, a heavy rain will soak everything up and I have to start from the beginning.
If you want to clean the drains once, then not worry about them getting clogged buy a pair of the 987 vent grill/guard things. They are basically mini gutter guards. Unless the tray fills up with water faster than it can drain or you get a bunch of gunk over the guards they should work well. PN: 987.561.487.00
Old 06-17-2017, 05:17 AM   #35

Quote:
The sponges under the carpets are beginning to piss me off. Just when I think my drains are clean and my interior is finally dry, a heavy rain will soak everything up and I have to start from the beginning. Can we just get rid of that spongy insulation? Will it detach from the carpet? What is it good for anyway? Sound deadening? Heat insulation? Has anyone removed it and noted any difference?

Yes you can remove the insulation but it's a very messy situation. I had to use a wire wheel on my grinder to get it off. The noise level can be very loud or not noticeable at all. It all depending on what road surface you're driving on. As for the heat insulation, the HVAC system is so great on these cars I never find it getting too hot or cold.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 06-17-2017 at 05:21 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #36

try this is if you have to park/store outside:

Outdoor CarCapsule
Old 06-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #37

Well I think I found why the left rear area kept getting flooded at the slightest rain:

What a pain in the @$$ it was to fish that little thing out. Had to go from the bottom up and then fish it out of the foam buckets with one finger... without tearing the foam apart. Anyone know if it's a Boxster part or just some randon debri?

Do yourself a favor and get one of these trombone cleaners:

Better than anything else I have tried. Flexible enough to go around tight corners, stiff enough so you can push it without it buckling, and thick enough that you can twist and spin it around. Bend one of the tips on a couple of spots so that the end is slightly and gradually curved. That way when it catches on a ridge or corner you can spin it and the end will free itself. Some drains have tricky corners (front right especially) but with practice you'll find all the tight spots and learn to go around them quickly. Then when the tip comes out under the car pull the whole thing out from underneath. The bristles should leave your drains nice and tidy.

But now I have all seven drains (that I know of) fully working. Let's see how good the perform now...
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #38

Never had any condensation in my car but then it was inside a garage or under a Noah fabric cover most of the time. Though I do recall a monsoon where I took the Boxster 100 miles in preference to a 4WD with the best rain tires money could buy. I somehow had more confidence in the Boxster.

That cover also lasted years and kept 10" of snow and an inch of ice off the car successfully. Used a push broom to clear the snow or ice as I wanted out when the roads got passable.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Never had any condensation in my car but then it was inside a garage or under a Noah fabric cover most of the time.
Dunno about indoor condensation, mine was stored indoor for 19 years and never shown signs of that. Covered or not, that car is breathing pretty well, I think.

Caution however, it also drinks very well! Place that car outdoor and wait for it. I mean the kind of heavy rain that you can't see across the street. If this happen to you or anyone, run for it to cover it up because you'll pickup peepee color water from the back of your seats I promise.

The 986 '97 drinks anyway. Not sure about the models... looks like not many are complaining

Luck to the others lolll