Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

How swampy is your boxster after heavy rain?

Mine is coping quite well, clean drains x4, however I swear it feels (smells?) so much more humid than any other car. You guys getting that nasty puff of wet air on that first door opening, after a good rain?

Where does this water get trapped into? in my spare tire? my carpet look and feel dry

Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
I live in a very humid climate, about tops in the US. The rear drains as well as the rear "floor" they sit on is "inside" the cabin. Well hidden behind the roll bar, there is still water wending its way to the drains on the "inside" of the car. That is what I've blamed for high humidity in the car after a rain.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

oh thats crap, just had a look and you'r right. Water remains in few puddles behind the plastic window flap, in my car anyway. wtf. That's 12+hrs after that rain... expecting this to cloud my car for the next week then?

Can my cordless drill fix that problem? Don't mind punching a hole in that thing if this can prevent this nasty humidity. Man its not cool

ps: Car always been indoor until last summer, when they kicked us out of the community shed for renovations. First time for me, normally has a cover but I got caught up yesterday. This thing came out of nowhere :/
Old 06-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #4

Can't say. I live in South Florida and my car sits outside. Never had a problem with humidity inside the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
mmassey0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

The under carpet material is a HUGE sponge.

So if water ever got in there -- I'm sure nearly ever drop has been preserved :-(

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmassey0125 View Post
Can't say. I live in South Florida and my car sits outside. Never had a problem with humidity inside the car.
Something surely isn't right. Glad you chip in, was hoping to hear all Boxsters were like that. Not like I've never driven in heavy rain before, happened more than a few times. Maybe different when rain hits it when parked dunno. Man it was torrential.. 2 full hrs of it. Just cleaned the 4x drains with compressed air a year ago, zero blockage there, clean as it should (??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
So if water ever got in there -- I'm sure nearly ever drop has been preserved :-(

Mike
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Hmm just saw a note from another member/thread mentioning about that sponge being impossible to dry also. That'd be the end...

first thing I did after sniffing that wet dog is reaching for the immob under the driver' seat. That flood/drain problem I've read a lot about. Got lucky... won't happen again
Old 06-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #7

From all the good advice, I think the wife is winning. She goes: just take it for a long ride with the roof down, it'll dry lolll

this poor boxster, from 'dead something' smell caused by unprofessional storage (a few years ago) and just as this problem left me for good, now I have a wet dog smell because I forgot to put the cover on one afternoon. silly car... /rant>
Old 06-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post

Mike
X2. My boxster sat for months in 100f+ degree weather after the interior got wet and it still had tons of water in the insulation. It soaks water in but doesn't let it out
Old 06-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #9

Update and WARNING!

That car is all f n wet, just need a coffee before and look for it again. Water came in from the door, the driver's side carpet is wet just below the speaker (the door?!). When you pull the passenger seat, its all wet behind there too. Car is leaving to the indy in a n hour for drying, this guy has a 8,566 Horsewatts Shop Vac there so hope he'll be able to pull up as much as possible.

It feels and smells like an indoor public pool when you open the door. Something completely wrong with this car because I never had a drop coming in during all those years, those days I've driven it in the rain anyway (few times for sure).

20years old seals are self-destructing, drains are shot, both maybe, no idea what it is but I'll update if we ever find out. Watch out for this year's savage weather dearest 97'98 owners :/
Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Yeah can't say mine has been moist inside. Occasionally I've gotten a few drips here or there but nothing more than below minor. However my Targa leaked like a sieve and I'm fixing that.

Wonder if your inner door seal/membrane is torn.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:09 AM   #11

new to the boxster game, but i find mine does better in the rain without the cover? go figure. the cover seems to trap moisture and it causes condensation to form on every surface inside the car. but with out it i just get two loonie sized puddles next to the rear drains. this is sitting in a 3 day constant spring rain.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #12

None. Mine is none swampy even after a heavy rain. It's my DD, and it sees plenty of water throughout the year.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
If the door card is wet then the membrane is perished.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #14

Car garage stories

Extract of today's visit to my favorite independent Porsche performance garage:

Me: This needs fixing
Indy: why? its 20y/old, just don't leave it parked it in the rain?
Me: That is eventually going to smell bad. Needs fixing
Indy: why? everything is synthetic, do you eat in a Porsche car?!
Me: No. Only has expired human skin, little white dust you know. So can you to dry my car?
Indy: {vomitingsounds} Eh nope, I'll tell you how tough;

Buy a small dehumidifier and let it run in the car for 48hrs with windows & top closed. Make sure you empty the tray often.

Me: Can I place a small heater to create more water in the air? (smart; tapping myself on the shoulder!)
Indy: NO, you'll either electrocute yourself, set the car on fire or both. Mold feeds 100x faster on your disgusting human skin dry dust thing when heat is generated. Run the AC full blast if you can instead.
Me: What else can I do
Indy: get out of my garage and buy skin care products man
Me: hmm k, I'll let you know how it went

me: oh, last question; do most of your customers comes with human skin like me?
Indy: {{more vomitingsounds}}

Wroom wroom!
Old 06-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
If the door card is wet then the membrane is perished.
Sound much like what friend Chris said earlier. I'll start with that I guess. I'll get that on the bi-annual gen.porsche.part shopping list :/

Thanks to all for the advice and info

ps: Its a Dehumidifier it needs, not a heater lol
Old 06-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #16

Garage
Was your Indy previously a hairdresser??? LOL.
I am certainly happy to hear your Boxster is on the road to recovery. When I first read this thread I was immediately hit with the thought of what a tragic loss it would be to this Forum if you decided you no longer liked this car.
That said I had some water enter below my seat that I got rid of rather quickly by stuffing some paper towels half under the carpet in front of the firewall with free end exposed. This helped to "wick" the water out from below. Couldn't hurt.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #17

Nice one, thanks! His Shop Vac actually did an incredible job already, at least the "inddor swimming pool" puff of wet air is gone. That insulation got soaked behind the passenger seat. Just too much rain for what the drain was able to cope with apparently. This guy an ex-Porsche employee and running his own now. He said the only way Porsche are able to dry our cars is with the dehumidifyer/doors/windows/top closed method. I'll take his word for it

Love that roadster! I like very much my 1.4L Turbo VW also but that Boxster is a much better street toy. Another 10-15 years to go on that Boxster minimum, wouldn't be surprised.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Haha Nine8Six! Thanks for. Funny read!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #19
I am my own mechanic....

I keep three micro fiber towels stuffed in the door.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:28 AM   #20
I am No. 1348

Garage
With all this said, what are the best preventative measures we can do to water proof our Box?

It would be nice to have photos of the leakage points.