Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
The Quick jack will put it up high enough to use a creeper, and still do stuff?
I used my creeper to change the oil. I'm 6 foot and 220 lbs so I'm not so small.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #22
I have a pair of Liftbars, and am quite pleased with them. There are a few minor problems with them though. Even though I use 'low profile' floor jacks, it is difficult to get the jack under the bar, perhaps because the car is so low; I have 18" Boxster S wheels with the standard size tires on my '97 Boxsters so it shouldn't be an issue of excessively-low ride height. A small second issue: the bars have a white band marked at the center of the bars, but if the jack is placed there the front lifts more than the rear. The jack should be centered about 6" aft of the whit mark.
The Liftbar product seems to me a dandy product! I wish they made a bar for other cars, such as Mercedes W203 (C240, C320, etc) like my wife drives, and probably a host of BMW chassis. This product cries out for expanded marketing.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by old911doc View Post
I have a pair of Liftbars, and am quite pleased with them. There are a few minor problems with them though. Even though I use 'low profile' floor jacks, it is difficult to get the jack under the bar, perhaps because the car is so low; I have 18" Boxster S wheels with the standard size tires on my '97 Boxsters so it shouldn't be an issue of excessively-low ride height. A small second issue: the bars have a white band marked at the center of the bars, but if the jack is placed there the front lifts more than the rear. The jack should be centered about 6" aft of the whit mark.
The Liftbar product seems to me a dandy product! I wish they made a bar for other cars, such as Mercedes W203 (C240, C320, etc) like my wife drives, and probably a host of BMW chassis. This product cries out for expanded marketing.
Place a 2x4 in front of the rear wheels and drive over it. This should give enough clearance to place the liftbars under the car.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynch View Post
Sorry about that I literally went from 20 minutes to raise all four corners to 5 mins for the whole vehicle. And I don't have to rummage around looking for the jack pads so that tops of the jack stands don't damage the jacking points. The ends of the liftbars slot directly into the jacking points. I couldn't be happier except maybe having a garage with a two-post lift.
lf the lift bars slot in to the jacking points, where do you put your jack stands?
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
lf the lift bars slot in to the jacking points, where do you put your jack stands?
You can see the video here.
Liftbars
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #26

So the stands go right under each end of the lift bar, right?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
So the stands go right under each end of the lift bar, right?
Correct; the bars are built with a spot designed for the jack stands.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #28

Seems like a pretty nice system.

I have, however, read somewhere or other that it's not advisable to work under a vehicle that's supported strictly by 4 jack stands. The lift bar web page referenced earlier shows a number of P-cars supported that way. Do most people feel comfortable working under a car supported that way?

I guess the answer in part depends on how much one trusts their jack stands. I have a bunch of medium-short pieces of 4x4 lumber laying around the garage. I have a tendency to stack them strategically in such situations to serve as back-up support, (+/- stacked wheels). My inclination would be that I'm comfortable with that set-up.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Seems like a pretty nice system.

I have, however, read somewhere or other that it's not advisable to work under a vehicle that's supported strictly by 4 jack stands. The lift bar web page referenced earlier shows a number of P-cars supported that way. Do most people feel comfortable working under a car supported that way?

I guess the answer in part depends on how much one trusts their jack stands. I have a bunch of medium-short pieces of 4x4 lumber laying around the garage. I have a tendency to stack them strategically in such situations to serve as back-up support, (+/- stacked wheels). My inclination would be that I'm comfortable with that set-up.
If you use decent quality jack stands, why wouldn't you work under the car? We have stands ranging from 2 ton up to 8 ton each, so even if you used four 2 ton stands, that's capable of safely supporting a vehicle weighing in at anything less than 8 tons, or 16,000 pounds. Porsche hasn't made anything that heavy since they made panzer tanks in the second world war..............

Even the lifts in the shop only top out at 12,000 pounds, and I am as comfortable working under a car on them as I am with a Porsche sitting on four 2 ton jack stands. The only caveat is the quality of the equipment; buy good stands and you will own and use them for the rest of your life, which will not be shortened by a car falling on your head. And if makes you feel any better, I recently helped out a buddy by doing a dual row IMS Solution retrofit on his car in his shop while it was standing on those lift bars and four 6 ton jack stands (bottoms of the tires were 24 inches off the floor); the car was steady as a rock during the entire procedure, it never moved once or gave me any reason for concern.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-21-2017 at 02:08 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #30

...confirmation of my what I already suspected. In some cases I've bought HF stuff, but avoided that temptation with jack stands. (Justifiably?? IDK...) I also got the 3-ton rather than 2-ton ones. So...24,000 lb capacity for a 2800 lb car? Should suffice

I always remember back to the first time I worked under a car on stands. It was my son's girlfriend's car, a big ol' Mercury Grand Marquis. The fuel pump had died and we were underneath working on removing the fuel tank. I remember being terrified under there...jack stands just didn't look very substantial. I've gotten a LOT more at ease and trusting of them--unfortunately I'm getting to the age where I'd REALLY like a lift. Being able to walk under a car just looks like a whole lot more fun than squirming under one on jack stands. Especially when you get under there and you realize you've got the wrong sized socket
Old 05-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #31

Quote:
...confirmation of my what I already suspected. In some cases I've bought HF stuff, but avoided that temptation with jack stands. (Justifiably?? IDK...) I also got the 3-ton rather than 2-ton ones. So...24,000 lb capacity for a 2800 lb car? Should suffice

I always remember back to the first time I worked under a car on stands. It was my son's girlfriend's car, a big ol' Mercury Grand Marquis. The fuel pump had died and we were underneath working on removing the fuel tank. I remember being terrified under there...jack stands just didn't look very substantial. I've gotten a LOT more at ease and trusting of them--unfortunately I'm getting to the age where I'd REALLY like a lift. Being able to walk under a car just looks like a whole lot more fun than squirming under one on jack stands. Especially when you get under there and you realize you've got the wrong sized socket
I have a simple rule on HF stuff: Absolutely nothing that holds weight above my head.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I have a simple rule on HF stuff: Absolutely nothing that holds weight above my head.
Words to live by..
Old 05-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #33

Flyin Miata has the previous generation "QuickJack" for a couple hundred less than the new one. It is popular with the Miata crowd because the new version is too wide to fit between the wheels.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/quickjack.html
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:08 AM   #34
Project Addicted

A used scissor lift on CL or other for sale site. I have seen them for as low as $350.00. I should have bought but it was a 5 hour drive to get it :-(
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:03 AM   #35

I've had a 4 post lift for a number of years now. I don't think I would still be working on cars if I didn't have it. Before having the lift I always left a floor jack or secondary safety device under the car when using jack stands. Block the wheels to prevent rolling. People have been killed working under cars.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #36
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I use a long/low HF floor jack which I really like, not everything from HF is garage.

I also have 4 Esco 10498 stands, and I would highly recommend them if you want something a little more versatile than model specific lift bars. They are very stable, and I really like the tripod base because I can slip a few 2x4 scraps or bricks under the jack stand post as a backup. I never understood how anyone could trust those dinky aluminum tube stands with a 6" circular base from pepboys. I would never get under a car without good stands. If I have the wheels off I will lay them under the rotors as another backup.

I have never used ramps, I don't think they are the best option for the Boxster. It is too low to the ground, so you would need really long ramps. Plus, if you only lift the front or back the car won't be level, so you won't be able to drain all of the oil, or other fluids.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #37

Garage
+1 for Liftbars. I used mine for the first time today, and I have to say that the time, hassle and fiddling you don't have to deal with, they are worth it.
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #38

Hey those liftbars look very good -- although specific to each vehicle. I recently purchased a quickjack and have used it on other vehicles in my fleet. It works great and can easily get a creeper underneath. Will be using it on my 986 Boxster for the first time this Spring.
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #39

Garage
Love my Quckjack 3500. I built a "liftbar" that sits on the QJ so I can reach the jack points on all my cars. Makes life a lot easier in those situations where you have to drop the car temporarily... like when I forgot to loosen the rear axle bolts before lifting. Perhaps the best purchase I have made to permit me to continue to do my own maintenance as I get older... now in my early '70s and the next project on my Boxster is to drop the tranny and inspect the clutch and IMS, working alone of course.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote