Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #121
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I'll take the last one if you still have it. I forgot to order one last time.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #122
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
It was P0410 and P1411 which I have had pop up 2-3 times over the the last several years. Normally unless it's a serious code, I will wipe it and see it comes back and monitor for other issues/symptoms to try and narrow down what may be the problem. So far it hasn't come back, but if it does I will probably fix it. I just like having the option to delete the secondary air system since it can be expensive and tough to troubleshoot.
Be sure to narrate upon these pages your effort. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #123

Garage
I am interested too!

I have exhausted myself trying to solve P0401 and P1411 SAI codes on a ‘98 Boxster Manual with 59k miles I bought this past summer. It sat for a loooooong time but I have successfully turned it into my daily driver, winter tires and all (I'm in NJ). Runs like a champ otherwise after replacing all the fluids, filters, plugs, wires, fixing convertible top leaks, MAF, and the list goes on. Getting it back on the road has been pretty straight forward and reasonable in terms of cost having completed the work myself. The SAI system is killing me though. Air pump works fine and there appears to be no leaks in the system.

Particlewave; If you are still offering this let me know!

Thanks
10DigitVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #124
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10DigitVIN View Post
I am interested too!

I have exhausted myself trying to solve P0401 and P1411 SAI codes on a ‘98 Boxster Manual with 59k miles I bought this past summer. It sat for a loooooong time but I have successfully turned it into my daily driver, winter tires and all (I'm in NJ). Runs like a champ otherwise after replacing all the fluids, filters, plugs, wires, fixing convertible top leaks, MAF, and the list goes on. Getting it back on the road has been pretty straight forward and reasonable in terms of cost having completed the work myself. The SAI system is killing me though. Air pump works fine and there appears to be no leaks in the system.

Thanks
I have one of these that I bought from Particlewave, but never got around to installing it.
As such, it's brand new.

(I hope he doesn't mind me offering his product in his thread..... NOT A HIJACK!!! )
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #125

Garage
Just sent you a PM maytag
Old 01-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #126

I feel your pain !
I would advise against using an Emulator until you have exhausted the legal options.
First do the basic diagnosis of the SAI sytem and components - especially for the O2 sensor performance pre cat. If you don't have a scan tool, this is a quick and cheap diagnostic to have done by a Tech. Without the voltage and wave pastern info pre-cat you can't really begin. And without that info - preferably a screenshot the smart guys here may be reluctant to join the conversation.
There are lots of obscure ,little 'fix-it' issues that may contribute to this problem. For example ,if your SAI system is perfect but the SAI ports in the cylinder heads are plugged you will never make any progress at extinguishing the CEL .
Once you have fixed the entire system and have no CEL, you then need the Drive Cycle to get the monitor "Ready"
For others note that the MY 2001 is particularly difficult to set the monitor as "Ready".
If your O2 sensors are old, maybe just replace all 4 with Bosch and at least ypu've done one of the easier jobs and eliminated it from the possibilities.
BUT , whatever you do PLEASE let us know what worked !That helps all who follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10DigitVIN View Post
I am interested too!

Thanks
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #127

Garage
Thanks for the heads up Gelbster. Can faulty pre-cat O2 sensors cause P0410 and P1411 SAI codes? If so replacing the pre-cat O2 sensors is pretty easy and not costly. I’m not a fan of throwing money and parts at a vehicle to solve a problem but I received new work ramps as a gift recently and am itching to use them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
I feel your pain !
I would advise against using an Emulator until you have exhausted the legal options.
First do the basic diagnosis of the SAI sytem and components - especially for the O2 sensor performance pre cat. If you don't have a scan tool, this is a quick and cheap diagnostic to have done by a Tech. Without the voltage and wave pastern info pre-cat you can't really begin. And without that info - preferably a screenshot the smart guys here may be reluctant to join the conversation.
There are lots of obscure ,little 'fix-it' issues that may contribute to this problem. For example ,if your SAI system is perfect but the SAI ports in the cylinder heads are plugged you will never make any progress at extinguishing the CEL .
Once you have fixed the entire system and have no CEL, you then need the Drive Cycle to get the monitor "Ready"
For others note that the MY 2001 is particularly difficult to set the monitor as "Ready".
If your O2 sensors are old, maybe just replace all 4 with Bosch and at least ypu've done one of the easier jobs and eliminated it from the possibilities.
BUT , whatever you do PLEASE let us know what worked !That helps all who follow.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #128

In my case I replaced all 4 based on Durametric diagnosis. Easy job.They do age out and if 1 or 2 are deteriorating .....
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #129

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
In my case I replaced all 4 based on Durametric diagnosis. Easy job.They do age out and if 1 or 2 are deteriorating .....
OK, I found out what was wrong...and I feel like a complete tool.

The exceptionally thin hard plastic vacuum line leading from the intake manifold to the secondary air check valve was disconnected, at the valve.

Everything looked totally fine when looking at the vacuum line and valve standing outside the vehicle. Both from the driver and passenger's side.

I finally found the disconnected line by getting a step ladder and climbing on top of/into the engine compartment, balancing myself and inspecting the entire SAI system (from above) with a high power flashlight.

When I found the disconnected vacuum line from the intake manifold at the valve I literally laughed out loud.

I cleared the check engine light with my scanner and all P-codes. The CEL has not come back on, neither have any P-code or pending codes in six days (approximately 150 miles of driving).

Additionally all OBD-II monitors have set themselves with he exception of EVAP which I have read can take a while to reset if the exact setup cycle is not run.

All-in-all a decent outcome.

Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated!
Old 05-11-2022, 05:45 PM   #130
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Does anyone have the directions to install this? I bought one from particlewave a few years ago and never installed it. He seems to be off the grid. He sent me an email with instructions but I can't find it.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote