Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: IMSB Replacement Failure
Original IMSB working fine 39 55.71%
Original IMSB failed 1 1.43%
LN ceramic IMSB working fine 17 24.29%
LN ceramic IMSB failed 0 0%
Other IMSB replacement working fine 12 17.14%
Other IMSB replacement failed 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #21
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
JFP returns "Jackson Free Press" in Google. I'm not joking... LOL

.... and IMS returns pretty much all the same thing; some Gore-Gallery stuff nobody wants to see. Btw my bearing is in the 1st survey category, of course (cough's)

Wow, that looks kind of like Negan's baseball bat, Lucille.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #22
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I have...

...the "IMS Solution" and she's working fine.

One point about the "IMS Solution" that folks seem to miss, and I think this is important, especially to folks like the poster about with 122,000 miles on his car, is that the "IMS Solution" can be transferred to a new engine or reused in a rebuild.

So, the idea that installing the "Solution" on a high mileage engine is a waste of money, is not correct.

The "Solution" has no moving parts and the bearing surfaces have a "diamond like coating" that is extremely long wearing.

If you install a "Solution" and then the engine fails later on, you can reuse your "Solution" on the new engine, or the rebuild.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #23

Ok, my mechanic said it looked fine.
He's LN certified so I am assuming he would know. Still glad I did it. Probably will not do again until I pass 75k on it regardless of years.
With that said, I am starting to think these little cars are tougher than we give them credit for. I'm not an engineer, just a hunch based on the # of people racing them. Glad I bought a 986. Zero regret.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #24

Good bearing = clean engine = long life for replacement.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #25
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...the "IMS Solution" and she's working fine.

One point about the "IMS Solution" that folks seem to miss, and I think this is important, especially to folks like the poster about with 122,000 miles on his car, is that the "IMS Solution" can be transferred to a new engine or reused in a rebuild.

So, the idea that installing the "Solution" on a high mileage engine is a waste of money, is not correct.

The "Solution" has no moving parts and the bearing surfaces have a "diamond like coating" that is extremely long wearing.

If you install a "Solution" and then the engine fails later on, you can reuse your "Solution" on the new engine, or the rebuild.

I wasn't even thinking about that, but I had heard it before. It slipped my mind, thanks for reminding me of that info.