Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
On the slippery slope

Garage
RPM Act protects Motorsports

The future of motorsports remains in jeopardy! The Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act is critical to protecting the industry now and in the future.

The RPM Act is a bipartisan bill that protects Americans’ right to modify street vehicles into dedicated racecars and industry’s right to sell the parts that enable racers to compete.

Click here and then the link to tell your Senators and congressman you support the act
https://www.sema.org/epa-news

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Thanks.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #3

Done and done.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

Garage
+1
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #5

How can this be possibly implemented and policed exactly? Racing Circuits and Tracks are "private properties and owned".

HOAX or real?
Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Very real my friend

It has to do with "modifying" a car from its original condition
Old 01-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #7

post deleted: uninformed opinion

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-26-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #8

post deleted: uninformed opinion

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-26-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's the summary:

"In July 2015, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) introduced a proposal that would have prohibited the conversion of street vehicles into race cars used exclusively for the track. While the EPA has formally withdrawn the proposal, the agency continues to assert authority under the Clean Air Act to regulate the modification of vehicles used for competition. Congressional action is the only way to guarantee that street vehicles can continue to be modified for the track, well into the future.

The RPM Act confirms that it has always been Congress’ intent that racecars are not include in the Clean Air Act’s definition of “motor vehicle.” The RPM Act makes clear that it has always been legal to modify a street vehicle into a racecar used exclusively at the track, and confirms that modifying these vehicles for exclusive track use would not be considered tampering."

Last edited by 78F350; 01-26-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Changed after reading the link in original post...
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
Come on Fred, don't delete your posts
Old 01-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Come on Fred, don't delete your posts
I'll try to learn how to read before making comments next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Here's the summary:
Hard to criticize when you think about all the work they have put into clean air policies and enforcement (e.g. L.A - mid 70's).

Certainly some material to explore for near-future aftermarket/performance car part manufacturers. With today's adv technologies I'm sure there are more than one way to meet the min-standard without necessarily compromising performance. Would be nice to see those mosport/aftermarket key players 'smarting-up' soon. Never too late.

If the performance petrol engine ever dies it looks like they'll be the ones to blame, not the epa :/

(out!)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
On the slippery slope

Garage
The thing is, a lot of race cars run much more efficiently and would pass the clean air requirements
In any case, we are talking about such a small number of cars and racetracks are generally not in a big metropolitan area that even if they were polluters , at worst they would have a tiny impact on air quality.

Hell, where you live, Shanghai, probably contributes much more to global air quality than all of the race cars in N America combined. I've been there and the air sucks!
Old 01-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:

Hell, where you live, Shanghai, probably contributes much more to global air quality than all of the race cars in N America combined. I've been there and the air sucks!
Not debating, I'm pretty pissed about it myself as mosport have been my employer's bread & butter since many decades. Its devastating when it comes to affecting an entire industry but there you go... what can you say. Like I said its very hard to criticize.

RE Shanghai. We are possibly the luckiest in this entire country due to our location. We mostly get clean air from the sea (we can look the sea from our rooftops man). You must have came here during a bad week or perhaps in 2013 when it was madness almost every day, winter if I remember. The air was blowing backward for some reason... we referred to it as "Airpocalypse" lolllll

Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei... now if you can avoid these places then do it. Friend's advice

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-26-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #14

Did you know I am not allowed to drive my Boxster car, which is equipped with a completely redundant EURO type II emission system (stock), in downtown Shanghai anymore?! AT the risk of having the car confiscated and destructed.

Only place the car is allowed now is outside of the city outer ring road. Next year (2018) I have to get the car retrofitted to EURO5 if I want to be able to drive it 'anywhere' in this country.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
I was in Shanghai Feb 2013, 2nd week of New Years.
I had a great time, nice city, just very crowded and the trip to the airport, well that's an experience in gridlock LOL

That sucks that you have to jump through hoops just to drive your car
Old 01-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #16

Quote:
I was in Shanghai Feb 2013, 2nd week of New Years.
Ouch, that was exactly the Airpocalypse time :/ sorry to hear that. I'll remember these days for the rest of my life man

About the Boxster, pfff, cheap retrofit apparently (aprox $2k). Go ask some of our mates here who drives older Ferrari and Lambo prods what they think about this beautiful policy lolllll
Old 01-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #17

Done.

I've personally sucked inhaled alot of dirty air having lived most of my life in SoCal and now Phoenix which isn't much better. I like clean air but the EPA has got this wrong. I suspect the Trump administration is going to kill this one.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #18
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Done.

I've personally sucked inhaled alot of dirty air having lived most of my life in SoCal and now Phoenix which isn't much better. I like clean air but the EPA has got this wrong. I suspect the Trump administration is going to kill this one.
I wouldn't count on that. I don't think many of his base own race cars
Old 01-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #19

Quote:
The thing is, a lot of race cars run much more efficiently and would pass the clean air requirements
True and false.

This is the big issue about race cars and even the recent diesel gate. The most efficient engines are not emission friendly. Yes they burn all the fuel and turn it into power. The problem is inner cylinder pressure and high temperatures create NOx's. That is where the "polution" from diesel gate comes from. If you are not allowed high temps with a diesel engine you can't burn enough fuel per cycle to make power.

Another thing, efficiency is only a comparative value. A 4.0L engine can be more efficient then a 3.0L at burning its fuel and be low on emissions.But the 4.0L might be making 80hp/L while the 3.0L is making 100hp/L, making the 3.0L more efficient power source for it size.

Here is why we don't want NOx. Remember its really easy to pollute 40x the limit when the limit is in the single digits. Medias are terrible at conveying this obviously.
Quote:
When NOx and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) react in the presence of sunlight, they form photochemical smog, a significant form of air pollution, especially in the summer. Children, people with lung diseases such as asthma, and people who work or exercise outside are particularly susceptible to adverse effects of smog such as damage to lung tissue and reduction in lung function.[5]
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #20

Update:

Just got this response from my Senator.

"February 19, 2017

Dear Terry,

Thank you for contacting me about motorsports and the Clean Air Act. I appreciate receiving your comments.

Originally passed in 1955, the Clean Air Act is the primary piece of air quality legislation for the United States. It gives the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) the power to set and enforce standards for air quality, including the enforcement of emission standards for pollution, such as vehicle emissions.

In June 2015, the EPA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration proposed rule changes to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and create new fuel efficiency standards. Concerns have been raised that the proposed rule changes would negatively affect amateur motorsports.

To provide the EPA greater clarity about its role in regulating competition vehicles, I have joined a number of my colleagues in cosponsoring S. 203, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. Introduced by Senator Richard Burr (R-N.C.) on January 24, 2017, this bill would stipulate that the EPA is not able to regulate motor vehicles used solely for competition. This bill has been referred to the Senate Environment and Public Works (EPW) Committee.

I am committed to ensuring that rules are made through a transparent public notice and comment process. Citizens must have the opportunity to weigh in on specific regulations. As a member of the EPW Committee, I will be sure to keep your comments in mind should the committee consider this matter in the weeks and months ahead.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. If you have additional questions or concerns, please visit my website at www.fischer.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Deb Fischer

United States Senator"

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is online now   Reply With Quote