Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 AM   #21
I am No. 1348

Garage
I have to admit, the mid-engine C8 does not look anything like a Corvette. It looks more Ferrari / Lambo ish. I'm curious how they are going to incorporate the styling cues into that shortened nose.

I'm really excited to see Detroit get back in the game. it's really exciting for all of us enthusiasts, even if we prefer the Euro models.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #22

Priced a 718 recently? The base I looked at last week had a $72k+ sticker and was pretty bare bones. My 718 build would exceed $97k.

I drove several vettes before I bought my first Boxster. An entirely new configuration would be an opportunity to get a lot of things done differently that made me pass on the vettes. Weight and build quality.

My bet on the Zora's price would be $135k+. Think 911T, NSX, GT40 territory.

Last edited by mikefocke; 02-02-2017 at 09:37 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:55 PM   #23

Its the age old battle. At the end of the day I think most people are brand loyal....always wanted one or the other. At least I've never seriously looked at a Corvette. If they got rid of the giant bowtie logo it might help I couldn't take that
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
I am No. 1348

Garage
I'll be honest with you, I looked at a 2016 Stingray and I thought it was too heavy, too big/long, and not as nimble as the Boxster. Of course it will blow my doors off, but in daily traffic, I think I'd stick with my Box. I never felt so much joy during a daily commute!!! lol
Old 02-01-2017, 03:44 AM   #25

The 2017 911 RSR is going mid-engine. Won't be long before the street version goes mid too
Old 02-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #26

I hope the C8 is offered with a V6 option and 6MT. A Boxster S replacement.
Sacrilege I know but the GM V6 is good for well over 300 hp. Where can you safely and legally use 400++ hp (V8)on public roads? And maybe the engine access with a V6 would be easier, and the cooling and the lighter weight and....
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #27
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
I hope the C8 is offered with a V6 option and 6MT. A Boxster S replacement.
Sacrilege I know but the GM V6 is good for well over 300 hp. Where can you safely and legally use 400++ hp (V8)on public roads? And maybe the engine access with a V6 would be easier, and the cooling and the lighter weight and....
This is a really good point!

I drove a 997 GT-3 (425hp) and the power was kind of useless on the street and freeways. By the time I got into 3rd gear, I had to lift to avoid killing myself or someone else. Sure, I could race around in 2nd, but it was kind of overkill.

On the street, I think that 300-350hp is about all that's needed for more fun than your driving license can probably withstand.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
This is a really good point!

I drove a 997 GT-3 (425hp) and the power was kind of useless on the street and freeways. By the time I got into 3rd gear, I had to lift to avoid killing myself or someone else. Sure, I could race around in 2nd, but it was kind of overkill.

On the street, I think that 300-350hp is about all that's needed for more fun than your driving license can probably withstand.
And this is from someone who races Porsches ! If 300-350 hp is enough for him. it is surely enough for those without his driving skills?
Try a full throttle freeway merge in a 500hp car - it is not fun.It is terrifying because no other driver is moving(or thinking) fast enough. And the insurance premium....
Old 02-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #29

Lately i've driven a Jaguar XK, because it seems i'm looking for a new ride. The N/A with 385 hp and the compressor with 510 hp. The car is bigger and weights much more than a 986.

But it wasn't only the hp. It was the torque that was fun in the compressor. Felt like a hot rod.

Shure you'll be to fast in no time and traction is a problem if it's not dry. But a 5 litre engine with a compressor is just fun. Honestly the 385 hp version is fast enough. But the 510 hp version makes you smile every second you pet the gas pedal of the cat.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Lately i've driven a Jaguar XK, because it seems i'm looking for a new ride. The N/A with 385 hp and the compressor with 510 hp. The car is bigger and weights much more than a 986.

But it wasn't only the hp. It was the torque that was fun in the compressor. Felt like a hot rod.

Shure you'll be to fast in no time and traction is a problem if it's not dry. But a 5 litre engine with a compressor is just fun. Honestly the 385 hp version is fast enough. But the 510 hp version makes you smile every second you pet the gas pedal of the cat.

Regards, Markus
We have a few XKR-S come in .550hp ! Mad ! Lots of arguments about who takes it for a road test !
They are very difficult to sell used here. Often takes many months and lots of discounts.And if they have had any accident damage repair work that causes other issues because of the aluminum/adhesive construction. So if you are patient and really know actual completed sales prices from a Dealer auction you can find an amazing bargain. But find a local Jag Indie first - you will be 'married' to him for technical service! Lots of German components on that car = you will be in familiar circumstances.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Of course it matters, the new market affects the used market, if new Porsches are priced out of the market then you can bet old ones will go up in value but it definitely is relevant in relation to a new mid engine corvette as in this case we're speaking of the competition for the American auto industry and the possibly lack thereof matters significantly.
lol

Look, here is your quote:

"Better get used to it, grand emperor supreme doesn't like cars built elsewhere. All us Porsche folks may have to learn to love a corvette if we want something European,(did we ever put to rest whether or not your Boxster was German or Finnish?) at least without a huge tax, in a few years."

My point was simply that your comment has nothing to do with cars and is all about trying to make a witty comment concerning politics. As others have commented, I would prefer this forum stick to guns and cats, if we are going to go off topic. Or, we could make the move to go to millennial humor as you (and your generation) provide us a rich source of material(s).

But getting back to the point I was making and you ignored: I stated, most people "here" buy used. Thus, I fail to see how there will be these huge taxes you propose on a "private sale" nor do I understand what "market" you think exists whereby people make car purchases and are swayed entirely based on "taxes". Is taxing "new" cars somehow trickling down to the "used car Market" or do you believe that people make choices entirely based on a taxation rate?

You know, it is actually laughable as many people (in Utah) avoid the whole issue of taxes by creating a "phantom" LLC that exists in Montana, to avoid taxes, by registering the purchase of the car in Montana. Sure, you can get the Black license plate, and some would argue it is a "much" cooler plate, but nevertheless, people will ALWAYS find a way to avoid taxes.

Personally, I would love to have a property in Nevada that I could "live" in just long enough so that I may file in a state that doesn't have a State income tax. But, you know what, haven't gone that far just yet.

Edit: "Lest anyone think" Jake did his homework: http://rmautobuzz.com/many-vehicles-donald-trump-car-collection/
1. Rolls-Royce
2. Chevy Camaro
3. Lamborghini Diablo
4. Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
5. Cadillac Escalade
6. Tesla
7. Maybach (also used in his show the Apprentice, if memory serves)
8. Mercedes-benz S600
9. Ferrari
10. Cadillac Allante
11. Rolls-Royce 1950s Silver Cloud

Yup, the President sure does love his American Cars.

Last edited by cfos; 02-02-2017 at 07:30 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #32

Glad to see they are making progress with this mid engine design. Read about it a couple years ago I think. What GM does well, is make great power on a very old but simple design.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #33

All Porsche gaga here but having seen the pics and reviews of the C8 only recently, me think this will sell by the thousands each months. Nice work from GM for sure (about time in fact)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #34

Garage
I'll just leave this right here......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
lol

Look, here is your quote:

"Better get used to it, grand emperor supreme doesn't like cars built elsewhere. All us Porsche folks may have to learn to love a corvette if we want something European,(did we ever put to rest whether or not your Boxster was German or Finnish?) at least without a huge tax, in a few years."

It was about cars and the vehicle on the market and the prices they may be bought at.

Taxing euro imports affects maintaining our cars and people that currently own porsches buying new ones.
The new car market greatly affects the used car market but in terms of this thread my comment is about the imaginative choice between a mid engine corvette and a 2020 Porsche 718. Not many here are in the market for a mid engine corvette but it's the topic of the thread and a relation to the new European car market at the time the corvette is on sale is a reasonable comment. I'm ignoring whatever you say about the president as that's aside from the general political atmosphere of restricted trade and tariffs, which is relevant as it affects Porsche particularly more than most any other company with them not having a single domestic manufacturing facility unlike other German manufactures. Porsches presence, at least at an uninflated price in the market place is POSSIBLY, just a simple possibility, coming to a close.

This is a relevant topic in terms of imaginative future car purchasing.

And yes the new car market greatly affects used cars especially if new cars leave the market all together due to a sale being unprofitable, it's an interesting topic to speculate on because if your 981 is one of the last Porsches in America period, it just maybeeeeee will have an affect on the cars value, or is that an absurd speculation.

People can avoid a tax, companies do so by not selling cars in a country, I.e. The ford ranger, vw amorak. We can get political and talk about the affect of tariffs on the economy and vehicles on the market and gather data about quality from us manufactures as competition from Asian ones rose, or how many parts are imported that go into the production of cars that are built in America and the affects a tariff would have on their prices....

but that's all unrelated same as the presidents personal car collection (I watched American top gear, I know the guy likes euro cars as much as the rest of us but I also know he's strong arming BMW and other local manufactures for having some over seas operations.)

Off topic conversations here are often on the topic of general automotive market, what's for sale at what price and what direction companies are going, hybrid, turbo, whatever. It's all common here and trade is relevant to these more than welcome topics.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 02-02-2017 at 10:55 AM.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #35

Whoa... lol... so much to process. Will give some cliff notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
It was about cars and the vehicle on the market and the prices they may be bought at.

Taxing euro imports affects maintaining our cars and people that currently own porsches buying new ones. -again, most here prefer buying used and many consider the "older" 986 models to be superior/classic. Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids. [sic]

The new car market greatly affects the used car market but in terms of this thread my comment is about the imaginative choice between a mid engine corvette and a 2020 Porsche 718.

Wait... so... the Corvette competes with the Boxster now that it is mid-engine? Is that what Chevy wants? Personally, I would have thought the comparison would be to the 911, but maybe I'm wrong. Of course, we'll have to wait and see if a 718 is still around in 2020.

blah blah blah.

I'm ignoring whatever you say about the president as that's aside from the general political atmosphere of restricted trade and tariffs, which is relevant as it affects Porsche particularly more than most any other company with them not having a single domestic manufacturing facility unlike other German manufactures. - wait, aren't you going to argue below that the President is already strong arming BMW? I don't understand how you can state this, when you already offer that BMW, which does have a plant in the US is getting strong armed? You need to make up your mind. [sic]

Porsches presence, at least at an uninflated price in the market place is POSSIBLY, just a simple possibility, coming to a close.

This is a relevant topic in terms of imaginative future car purchasing.

And yes the new car market greatly affects used cars especially if new cars leave the market all together due to a sale being unprofitable,

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, stop the clock." Are you suggesting that Porsche will leave the country? Can you provide an example for this? I'm not talking about a RS6 wagon or something that just hasn't been offered in the states, but a car that was offered, but is no longer offered - at this price point. Also, my understanding is that Porsche considers itself a "boutique" dealer, in that the majority of the purchased cars are custom ordered. Thus, unlike traditional American dealerships, they don't have most of their fleet on sight for people to come in and buy, rather, they are a few varieties of cars onsite that display a variety of options, allowing people to come in, sample, choose what they like, and then order. So, are you suggesting that there is a backlog of constructed Porsche just sitting in lots waiting to be ship all over the world to sit in lots? I don't know where this idea is coming from nor where you believe you have support for it.

it's an interesting topic to speculate on because if your 981 is one of the last Porsches in America period, it just maybeeeeee will have an affect on the cars value, or is that an absurd speculation.

more blah

but that's all unrelated same as the presidents personal car collection (I watched American top gear, I know the guy likes euro cars as much as the rest of us but I also know he's strong arming BMW and other local manufactures for having some over seas operations.) - AH! Here it is. How again is BMW being strong armed while having a plant in what... is it SC? while Nothing has affected Porsche? I bought my Macan in January and didn't see any sort of extra tax... [sic]

Off topic conversations here are often on the topic of general automotive market, what's for sale at what price and what direction companies are going, hybrid, turbo, whatever. It's all common here and trade is relevant to these more than welcome topics.
I am curious about your perception of the "person" or "market" for people that buy "new" Porsches. Their financial state... their worries... what goes into decision... why people will spend extra from paint-to-sample charges... or maybe give some $40k to some guy that bought a 918 in order to get their allocation slot and order the recently released GT3RS... Do you factor these people into your SWOT analyses? To be honest, your posts often entertain me. Unlike you, who cannot reflect back on what it's like to be older (as I can, like you reflect on being younger), your ideas and supposition is entertaining. Do these thoughts just come to you? Or do you reflect back on your imaginary, but future, Porsche purchasing, along with future mortgages (dare you actually buy something, unless... was it PerfectLap(?) that has argued strongly against purchasing a house?)... Anyway, carry on, wayward son. May there be peace when you are done.

Last edited by cfos; 02-02-2017 at 01:59 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #36
Track rat

Garage
Personally I think the new Vettes are pretty awesome. I don't think I will ever own one but America's finest sports car? Maybe so.

I seriously considered getting a C5 before the 98 Box but insurance rates on those looked like a house payment at the time. And the Boxster was just funner to drive.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #37

For the record, I too look forward to seeing the new Vette. Not saying I'd buy one, but I like to see that car continue to be made and improve. Maybe I'm atypical, but for me it isn't about buying a "mid engine" car, rather than what is it I like. Were I to trade in the Boxster, I'd probably go back to a 911. I really like the Targa, but it isn't about things like taxes, etc., that weigh heavily on me. Besides, I'd just trade in the car to the dealership anyway.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #38

edit: forgot, nothin political (deleted!)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-02-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #39

Yes! Cheap cars are fun (I have 3 lolll)
Old 02-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #40

I think ALL new Corvettes set a standard that makes other sports car companies crap their drawers.

I'm not in the market but I'd tip my hat everyday at what the cars offer and the bang for the buck.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote