Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

Internal Filter Magnet

Anyone here ever used magnets inside a spin on oil filter? Logically does it make sense to try and trap the microscopic material that does go through the filter. If a magnet was to "break loose" and flow downstream with the oil, how much damage could it cause? Sounds like a great idea...on paper.

Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Some of the automatic transmissions that I've taken apart have magnets on the sump plate. I'd think that as long as it is upstream from the filter, it isn't going to travel anywhere. On the downstream side of the filter medium, I'd be a little worried.
At least a few of us added magnets to the outside of our stock filters:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/60715-my-take-magnetic-oil-filter-housing.html
I've had mine on for one oil change and noticed just a trace of dark slime attracted by the magnets.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I read about someone who put a few magnets inside the paper filter housing of the stock oil filter. However, my primary concern was that pieces of the magnet would erode and get into the oil, the whole point is to keep metal out of the oil.

I think placing magnets outside the filter is a better/safer solution. I used some computer hard drive magnets attached with tape and a pipe clamp, which worked very well. I know have a FilterMag after I found one that had been mispriced.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Bad idea. Just get a filter mag or magnetic drain plug.

That said, my reusable steel mesh filter has a magnet inside by design (fitted permanently).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #5

This was my spring project

And it is holding up pretty well so far

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Good idea, but I don't think that it works as well as people hope.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:19 AM   #7

Garage
It will not. Metal will settle in the bottom of the sump when the car sits, so a magnetic drain plug is the way to go.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
It will not. Metal will settle in the bottom of the sump when the car sits, so a magnetic drain plug is the way to go.
Actually, magnets on the filter are much more effective than one on the sump drain plug. When the engine is running, the circulation of the oil gets most, if not all, ferrous debris into motion, which is why capturing and removing it are important. As the oil filter sees just about every drop of oil several times a min. with the engine running, putting some strong magnets there gives you a much better chance of capturing the fine grit normally found in an engine.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #9

Internal Filter Mag

Thanks for the replies guys. I've seen a lot of the good work that others have done with modifying magnets to the outside of their existing filters. From what I've seen though, the particles are sooooo fine that I've sure some are passing through the filter media and acting like sandpaper over time. An internal magnet would at least be in direct contact with the oil and be able to catch some of this stuff. My concern, like others, is what could happen if the magnet let's loose and gets carried away with the oil to the nether reaches of the engine. Other than the billet filter PW mentioned, I'm just not sure it's worth it or how to make it fool proof enough that I wouldn't worry every time I hit a bump or pot hole.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #10

The magnet does not have to be inside the filter, good quality rare earth magnets are more than strong enough to work from the outside. And if you really want to do it right, go to a spin on filter and simply use a Filter Mag.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #11

Garage
Not having tried it, you may be right, but I believe that the high flow rate in the filter will flush the metal right by the magnet and on to the filter insert where it will be as easy to find as on the magnet. There must be a reason why the accessory manufacturers make ones for the sump and not for the filter.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #12

Would not bet on that happening:

People make magnetic drain plugs because it is easier than trying to get around filter magnet patents..........
Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Bad idea. Just get a filter mag or magnetic drain plug.

That said, my reusable steel mesh filter has a magnet inside by design (fitted permanently).
Hi PW, I just saw one of your posts in Mar where you had a picture of your filter magnetic. Any updates on how this is working? Looks worth doing.

Link to magnetc place that several members have used.K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Magnets, Rare Earth Magnets
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #14

Garage
I stand corrected. :-) Thanks/Anker
Old 12-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #15

Let you know

I am changing my oil this weekend, have a fresh case of DT-40. I was planing on doing this last week but came down with the flu and 103 temp......decided to stay from under cars til I am better

Info FWIW

My car has 4300 miles on the Royal Purple that will be replaced by the DT-40....we will see what the filter holder looks like compared to the magnetic plug.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote