Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #41

Talk is cheap Mockup tub arrives next week. Tranny is here. Just looked at the Audi S4 V8 last week. 3k for 340hp and 7200 RPM and I know it bolts to the Boxster tranny

Sorry.. was spending money on other things in life..

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Talk is cheap Mockup tub arrives next week. Tranny is here. Just looked at the Audi S4 V8 last week. 3k for 340hp and 7200 RPM and I know it bolts to the Boxster tranny

Sorry.. was spending money on other things in life..

B

Call us when this is done. If it is done!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #43

Took forever to find a FREE Boxster tub. Had to wait until one of our BoxsterSpec buddies crunched one at LV during a DE

Met with LAPD yesterday and bought 2 engines from them. One Cayenne VR6 engine for another conversion using a BoxsterS 6 speed and one low mileage 2.5 engine for a racer who popped an engine at CA Speedway last weekend with POC.

They will sell me the next Cayenne V8 they receive for 5k. The other engines were sold to me for 3k each.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #44

I also know the V10 Audi/Lambo engine bolts up to the 6Speed box

B
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #45

I could see making this work, however from what I can surmise, there is no way to get all this to fit under the standard engine cover, which means that one would lose the capability to have a top. Trunk modifications may be necessary too? Maybe in a Cayman? Or a Boxster with a Zeintop?

Sure would be a blast to drive I'm sure!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #46

The most you would lose is the smugglers box above the engine cover. No need to lose the top. From crank centerline to the top of the V8 intake is 17inches. Crank centerline to the top of a 996 engine is 15inches. The intake on the V8's is buried in between the heads down low

S4 V8

B
Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #47

haha, I like where this is going. Lets get Jake in on this

If anyones up for footing the attempt.. I might just be willing to offer my box up as the guinea pig.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
haha, I like where this is going. Lets get Jake in on this

If anyones up for footing the attempt.. I might just be willing to offer my box up as the guinea pig.

That is why they call it a DONOR car; it is just like donating a heart to someone. Wait, I only have one heart right?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #49

That's a good point I didn't think about (the intake being in the V).... 2 inches of extra height really isn't all that big a deal. So....once you get the S4 V8 in there...what is going to run the engine, ECU wise, and how is that going to talk to the rest of the car?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #50

I'm going to cheat on the first one and put it into a 97-99 chassis that doesn't need a lot of "speak" amongst the electronics.

I also happen to have an ACE up my sleeve at Audi here in SoCal. Their engine emissions center is in Santa Monica.. and they have to have stand alone brains/harnesses to test ALL their engines, and a good friend happens to be a head honcho over there (otherwise I wouldn't even attempt this)

Also: the computers can be run by just giving them the info they need to operate. They can stay in place if need be and receive a tach signal or whatever. The Hinda kids have been doing this for YEARS. Multiple computers.

B
Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #51

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

Mockup tub arrived this evening!! Next week.. pick up the V8!!! Looks like I'll be holding the first EVER Boxster Sawzall party~!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #52

Picked the engine up this past Saturday 60k miles on it. Already have located an oil pan for it (the stock pan is stupid deep to clear the front diff) From crank centerline to the top of the plenum is only a couple of inches higher than a stock 996 engine.

As soon as I figure out how to get it out of my truck.. LOL I'll get it under the tub.

FYI: 500hp on pump gas is easily obtainable for under 15k

B
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #53

I sure wish I lived near you so I could help you with this project!

Very cool. I can't wait for more pix.

I tell you what. When it's done I think I will find a way to get to you and get a ride in it!

Will you offer rides to visitors from afar?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #54

I grew up in North Texas (over 25 years of my life was spent there) so Texan's ride free LOL

It will be awhile. This is not my only project, but I did speak with my tranny guy's this morning, and I will have what I need to make this work against a CaymanS 6 speed before the end of this month. I'll mock it up with a 5 speed bare case.

B
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #55
Track rat

Garage
Now that is a proper Boxster powerplant!
Need some help getting it out of your truck? I do live around the corner you know.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #56
Fred Demara

looks like someone went to great lengths to scratch the vin# off the drivers side door sill...
Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #57

Yeah.. I was not real happy about that, but the owner of the tub delivered it to me and explained "why" he did it. It is a mockup tub that is WRECKED big time in the front.. so it is not like it is going anywhere any time soon.

B
Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #58

Topless,

I'm having a Porsche get together June 20th!! Come over!! I posted it in another thread somewhere.

B
Old 06-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #59
Track rat

Garage
I will see you there! If you have this car running perhaps we will need to do a little check out ride.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #60

It won't be running by then!! I have multiple JRZ shock installs and an engine swap to complete before the 20th. Then I have a CaymanS project coming in.. This is a non-paying side project so it will be a slow one.

B