Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Question about Boxster Alternators

My question: Is there a specific alternator for a manual Boxster and a specific alternator for a tiptronic Boxster? I thought I read a post that depicted two separate alternators with two different part numbers. The alternator I intend to purchase from O’Reilly’s which comes with the pulley is #R111061A. O’Reilly’s, AutoZone and AdvanceAuto all only list one alternator for a 1999 Boxster.
Background
I intend to replace the alternator in my 1999 Boxster. It is a tiptronic with 284,600 miles. After a 70 mile drive, I stopped at a restaurant (which took no more than 20 minutes). When I started the car to leave, my ABS and Battery lights stayed on. I drove home (approximately 10 miles). I had no loss of power steering and no over-heating (which told me my accessory/serpentine belt was OK). My research on this forum leads me to believe that I possibly need a new voltage regulator or alternator. I’ve made up my mind to replace the alternator with a remanufactured one from O’Reilly’s. The price is $163.99. I know that it very well could be just the voltage regulator (F00M 145 225), and I can obtain one from my local VW dealer for less than $60.00. However, I don’t want to have to replace the alternator twice.
P.S. I haven’t been to Bastrop lately, what do you all think of possibly getting an alternator from Woody and replacing the voltage regulator on it for good measure? On second thought I just might as well replace the voltage regulator on my alternator:-)

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

But your alternator has 284000 miles, you can bet the bearings and brushes are on their way as well.Not to mention the varnish covering the field and armature wires as well.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry, I can't help with O'Reilly parts numbers.

But I can say that the Tiptronic has an alternator PN that is different than those for manual transmission cars. Go to this link and you'll find the alternator is #23 and is shown as PN 99660301203 for Tiptronic cars 1997-2004:
Battery Power Distributor Starter Generator

This doesn't mean that the O'Reilly/AutoZone units are not universal (will work for both transmissions), it just means that Porsche stocks them separately. I do now know what the difference might be (if any). You can always call ******************************************** and ask them.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-17-2016 at 08:51 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #4

The only difference I know of between the manual & Tip is the freewheel "clutch" pulley fitted to the manual alternator. You can fit or remove the clutch unit and refit it onto a new alternator, but you will need a special tool to remove it from the old main shaft.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:08 AM   #5

I had my alternator out of the car to replace the regulator only last weekend. There was no "clutch" pulley on my 1999 manual Boxster. Just a standard solid pulley.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #6

My fellow forum members,
Thanks for the quick response to my alternator question. You all are right, with over 284,000 miles my alternator’s bearings & brushes are probably toast. I did not get a chance to contact ******************************************** (they are an hour ahead of me) today to asked about the differences in the alternators. I did, however, call my local Porsche dealer in Austin. The dealership has a new owner and name. I mention this only because their parts department quoted me a price of $1000.00 US for a new alternator and $2400.00 US for a remanufactured alternator. Yes, I asked again for the prices because when I first heard “Angel” (I think that is the correct spelling of the name of the guy in the parts department) tell me $1000.00 for an alternator I about fell out of my chair. He repeated those prices and the prices did not include labor.
Tonight I am taking out my passenger seat and opening the firewall access panel behind the seats.
Tomorrow, Friday, 19 Aug 16, just out of curiosity I am going to stop by the dealership and ask about alternators in person. I will also call ********************************************.
More to follow.
Thanks again
MNC-I
Old 08-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Not as a suggestion, but more as trivia: Last week I had an alternator out of one of my 99s. Just out of curiosity I compared it to one that I had removed from a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T. Some minor differences in casting, but otherwise Same. Same fit, 120A, same connections.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #8

Here is the follow up on my alternator replacement:
I was able to remove the alternator after first using a liberal amount of WD40 on the bushing.
After speaking with representatives from Suncoast, ******************************************** and a parts company in Fort Worth, I discovered that for my 1999 Boxster there is only one alternator. I think some later models (not the 986 series) may have some type of locking pulley on the alternator (This pulley design comes with a free wheel lock {similar to a clutch}, standard equipment on all cars with manual transmission. #99760315400 Alternator pulley manual transmission)
Here are a few things I’ve learned during this alternator extraction: 1) The alternator is larger and heavier than I expected; 2) I had forgotten how heavy my seats are [I took the passenger seat out] and I recommend doing so to better access the alternator; 3) I also recommend using an old sheet or blanket to protect your carpet. I have a savannah beige interior and I’ve pretty much ruined the carpet behind the passenger seat.
Since my Boxster is non-mission capable until the alternator comes in, I’ve decided now is as good a time as any to clean my throttle-body. So today after work I stopped by my local Porsche dealer [new management, new owner, new name] to order gaskets for the throttle-body (O-ring and idle control valve gasket). Here is what I learned from my visit: 1) Under new ownership this dealership seems to be 100-times better; 2) They needed my Vin # in order to ensure they order the correct parts. Since I had had my car serviced there earlier, I assumed they could pull up the Vin # on their computer. I thought wrong. The old dealer took all the customer records with them when they sold the dealership. So I had to call my insurance company in order to provide my Vin #; 3) The workers and the parts manager greeted me when I walked in and no one was condescending. I always felt like I was considered a second-class citizen (986 driver) whenever I visited the old dealership. The parts manager even recommended that I clean the throttle-body with SeaFoam instead of carburetor cleaner; 4) Since my Boxster is 17 years old, most dealers my not stock certain parts unique to my year Boxster.
I am a happy camper with a better outlook on my local Porsche dealer. I will be really happy once the alternator comes in from O’Reilly’s and I am back to driving the Boxster.
MNC-I
Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
Racer Boy

I just replaced my alternator this weekend. It is a pain, like most anything related to the engine on the is car (other than oil changes and dropping the oil sump). I found a local Advance Auto Parts that had the alternator in stock, so I was good to go.

Just as an aside, the reason I replaced the alternator was because of a ratcheting noise coming from the engine compartment. I read up on it using the search forum, and the one-way bearing (or clutch) on the alternator can make that noise when they start going bad. The symptoms I was having matched exactly the threads on this issue; the noise is only when decelerating, or steady throttle, it's a clacking or ratcheting sound, and so on. I ordered a pulley from Pelican Parts, and got the special tool from eBay. Once I got into the project, I realized that I needed a long T50 bit, so I got that as well. The pulley was on so tight that I stripped the torx bolt, so that is why I ended up replacing my alternator.

But of course it didn't fix the noise! Times like this I really miss my Miata. At least I now have a new alternator and drive belt, and discovered that the water-pump has been replaced recently.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #10

I wonder - why didn't the new alternator and clutch assembly stop the noise - it sounds like you have another problem which you thought was the alternator.....