Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Has this been done and does it even make sense?

I have been thinking about removing the roof altogether on my 2000 and somehow fabricating a cover that would replace the clam shell and go right to the seats. I do not drive in the rain. Yes I know the car is not special but it is special to me. Anyhow, it would possible start slightly above the engine bay lid and curve up at the end to meet where the stop light in front of trunk is.
Well the new top would have a hole (holes) that would connect to a hole (holes) drilled in the engine cover to let heat out. There would be some tubing between the two. The visible holes would hopefully face towards the back of the car, not straight up.

Before I do something stupid, my questions are:
Has it been done? I would rather buy then build.
Would the noise be unbearable?
Would it help cool the engine bay and engine?
Reduce weight?
Change for the worse the stiffness of the car?
Do I just watch to much Velocity Channel?

Besides cooling, it would also make the engine more accessible.

Not even sure I can do this but I have been thinking about it.
Thoughts, opinions?

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #2

I do not want speedster/Spyder humps since it is not one. Notihing wrong with that, currently just not for me.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Get a Spyder edition canopy and make/buy connectors to fasten it.

Don't mess with the engine cover, it is fine just as is. If you want to do some GT styling back there just make it cosmetic, not functional. You don't want to open the engine cover as you will loose your fire protection should the unthinkable happen.

Is the canopy going to be used while driving or just when parked?

As you know there is a LOT of turbulence while driving and if the Canopy is not well designed for driving you will be under a wildy flailing, insanely noisy canopy that will flog you hard and probably tear at the connectors in short order.

Having said that I just thought of a use for my old top assembly with the cracked vinyl window, that I was about to throw away.
I could cut it up to make a Spyder Canopy and it already has the attach hardware at the windshield end.

I'll bet you could use one as a starting point as they are only worth $150 used or are just being thrown away and the top material is typically still in very good shape.
You just need to come up with a rear attach point and reconfigure the shape and length of the last panel of the top.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-25-2016 at 12:33 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
I have been thinking about removing the roof altogether on my 2000 and somehow fabricating a cover that would replace the clam shell and go right to the seats. I do not drive in the rain. Yes I know the car is not special but it is special to me. Anyhow, it would possible start slightly above the engine bay lid and curve up at the end to meet where the stop light in front of trunk is.
Well the new top would have a hole (holes) that would connect to a hole (holes) drilled in the engine cover to let heat out. There would be some tubing between the two. The visible holes would hopefully face towards the back of the car, not straight up.

Before I do something stupid, my questions are:
Has it been done? I would rather buy then build.
Would the noise be unbearable?
Would it help cool the engine bay and engine?
Reduce weight?
Change for the worse the stiffness of the car?
Do I just watch to much Velocity Channel?

Besides cooling, it would also make the engine more accessible.

Not even sure I can do this but I have been thinking about it.
Thoughts, opinions?
a toneau cover is been done before and will make a roadster, I made one as a base for starting the targa top and it looked cool

drawbacks, if for some reason it rains on you and water goes under your seat expect a 5k bill unless your inmobilizer/computer has the sealed box sold by porsche.

I drove my 99 a few times without any top including frame and it becomes very quiet, it is surprising a noisy the convertible top is, it rattles etc.

Noise unbearable? no, actually you would hear less of your engine
will it help cooling the engine bay, no unless you run without engine cover but then noise would be unbearable
reduce weight? yes specially if the toneau cover is light weight
would it affect the stiffiness of the car, I dont think so
have you watched too much of the Velocity channel, no never too much lol
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #5

Garage
I once drove mine without the engine top cover on plus with front engine access cover removed plus with carpet cover removed with the soft top up and far from being fun and hearing the engine throb it was awful and hard to go over 55 mph due to the noise. You could design a perspex engine cover but it would soon become dusty, filthy and probably mist up due to heat...look at how dirty the engine gets!
DaveBBOXSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBBOXSTER View Post
I once drove mine without the engine top cover on plus with front engine access cover removed plus with carpet cover removed with the soft top up and far from being fun and hearing the engine throb it was awful and hard to go over 55 mph due to the noise. You could design a perspex engine cover but it would soon become dusty, filthy and probably mist up due to heat...look at how dirty the engine gets!
Same here! I removed my firewall cover to diagnosed a water pump problem at my house. I then drove my car a few miles to access a lift. It was very noise and very hot when stopped.

I now your not removing your firewall cover but I'd bet removing the top of the motor cover would be just as bad at a stop light!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

Don't change the clamshell. You will screw up all the sensors and thus the fan on the passenger side that exhausts the heat.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

Ive given up on this idea. Thanks for all that responded.

Unrelated, I swore I was driving a 928. I pulled all the carpet out of the trunk yesterday. The volume of wires was amazing. That is the only thing I liked about my old 911 better. The wiring was very limited.

Regarding the carpet removal, it was nice the Porsche didn't glue in the sound proofing mat. Pretty much pop in, pop out.