Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Seriously considering moving to RI...

What can you New Englanders tell me about RI I may not know?

Looking at a great place in Bristol. Her son is an immigration attorney in Providence and we have always loved Mass / RI.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
What can you New Englanders tell me about RI I may not know?

Looking at a great place in Bristol. Her son is an immigration attorney in Providence and we have always loved Mass / RI.
Wow! That would be a big move!
The Bristol downtown area is beautiful, and real estate prices have been going up over the past few years as people have discovered the area.

Taxes here are brutal. The property taxes have been known to induce a coma. Most newcomers are shocked to discover the exorbitant annual RI vehicle taxes. Of course, non of these taxes seem to find their way into the road maintenance budget, at least in RI.

RI is an ocean state. It's the most gorgeous place I've ever lived. Along with that, you will have the occasional hurricane, so you need to pay attention to where you choose to purchase a home or you may find you'll have to pay for hurricane and flood insurance.

Feel free to PM me. Happy to answer any questions you might have!
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #3

Don't forget about the long winters. Can be brutally cold and snowy. Makes you appreciate Spring, Summer and Fall more. Some people hate the humidity in summer (my wife is from Seattle and that's her least favorite part). In my opinion, late Spring / early Summer, and Fall are the best and most enjoyable.

Winter can get on your nerves with the weather and short day light. One of the reasons I am looking to move South (Virginia) when I retire.
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #4

Some areas are very scenic and the ocean tempers the climate somewhat. SE Mass might be a little cheaper to live, but depends on the community and proximity to the water.

Other than that, property taxes, sales tax, excise tax, and state income taxes make it tough to justify living here sometimes. Both are nanny states that you may not be used to coming from UT. Bottom line is come out here and spend some time (2weeks to a month) to really get a feel for the place and do your research on all the cost of living adjustments you will have to make.

Oh, and if you are a skier, forget everything you learned skiing in UT and buy a file for your edges :-)
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

Send Mikez a PM. I think he lives in RI.

I was born in Boston and my Dad was from Lawrence. We moved around a lot when he was in the service. I asked him why he stayed in VA when he retired. He told me it was cold and dreary in NE during the winters.

One bad outcome of his decision is that I have never seen the Red Sox play a game in Fenway Park. I've only see them play in Baltimore.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #6

Providence is a nice small city with all types of food. Federal hill is really nice for Italian. Newport is really a nice destination spot as well. Winters are long so be prepared.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Bristol is the home of the country's oldest Forth of July parade and celebration. Very old-timey Main St with lots of shops and places to eat. Of course, it's also right on the water. Nearby Narragansett is also a nice town, without the summer crowds of Newport. Providence is the nearby "big" (small) city. Boston is about 90 minutes north, and Cape Cod is an easy drive (after Labor Day).

Climate is typical NE with the ocean air moderating the cold a bit. Any humid summer days are short-lived and the cooling sea breeze is usually prevalent. Nowhere near as humid as where I grew up in the mid-Atlantic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
For geographic info and a good forum for local info I've always liked City-data.com. Start here and click the cities: Rhode Island Bigger Cities (over 6000 residents) - Real Estate, Housing, Schools, Residents, Crime, Pollution, Demographics and More
Old 04-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #9

You can walk into a place and order a pitcher. AND. GET IT. No menu needed. BY YOURSELF.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
You can walk into a place and order a pitcher. AND. GET IT. No menu needed. BY YOURSELF.
Only people from Utah understand this lol!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #11
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
LOL, i was in Utah once 17 years ago. I liked it. But i did experience the archaic liquor laws. Are they still strange?
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:17 AM   #12

Garage
I have lived here all my life. Providence has come a long way. Lots of great restaurants, theater, concerts. Bristol area is nice close to the water. I live in the burbs, Cranston. Summers I think are the best but realize it only lasts 3-4 months. Lots of great beaches, close to Cape Code, Boston, NH, CT. Winters can make you feel isolated and depressed and never consistent. This past winter was very mild and little snow. The year before that same thing up until Jan 17. After that we got hit with snow every week. I had a 20ft mound in my driveway that didn't completely melt till late April. A few years back it rained every day in June except for 5 days. Personally I would prefer to live n Florida, I like the warmth and beaches year round. If you do decide to move here look me up. There is a group of Porsche folks that meet in Taunton every other Sunday we also get a contingent of Ferrari, Lotus owners attending also. Our first meet is May 15 which also coincides with the local PCA meet of the season. Lots of great country roads to drive on. Fall can be nice with colorful foliage. Personally I think it would be great if you moved here the more the merrier. Besides I could use a DIY Boxster friend.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #13

Garage
A few random RI clips from across the web:

"What Does Each State Have More Of Than Any Other ..."

Maybe reconsider MO? 25 Things You Should Know Before Living in Missouri – Estately Blog
Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
There is a group of Porsche folks that meet in Taunton every other Sunday we also get a contingent of Ferrari, Lotus owners attending also. Our first meet is May 15 which also coincides with the local PCA meet of the season.
Sounds like fun! Can I come? :dance:
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #15

Garage
78F350, You said it I didn't. Rhode Island, Cooler, Warmer!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #16

Garage
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
At first I didn't understand. I guess this explains that: Perplexed Rhode Islanders Ridicule State's New 'Cooler and Warmer' Slogan : NPR

...and Tim, there's a c@t problem:

Honestly, I have nothing against RI. Grew up in MA and NH, tried ME when I first retired.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #18

Tiny tiny tiny

The Denver Broncos drafted a guy that the announcer said can "bench press Rhode Island".

Last edited by Tcar; 05-27-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #19

It has an isthmus, it is not a true island.

'Nuff said.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #20

Garage
Lots of good breweries and vineyards in the area. check out CT wine trail.