Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Lots of good breweries and vineyards in the area. check out CT wine trail.
There's also the coastal wine trail that runs from CT shoreline through RI and into Cape Cod. - Did all 13 in the box last year.

I think 2016 passports for the CT wine trail started yesterday.

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #22
I am my own mechanic....

Hello to all, thanks for the thoughts.

I am a boiler contractor, and do have contact with a network of other old timer boiler companies out there in Mass, so I'm not too concerned with work. We sold some property and I have some time.

As for the area, well, that would be home but I am an explorer. It would be more 'living in NE' than RI. I was expecting taxes and vehicle costs to be higher, so not too bothered by that either. I will certainly need to find out more about where to discharge a firearm. The only difference in gun laws between there and here is no NFA items (can't bring the supressor or the short barrel rifle) and no carry permit so no pistol in the truck, but those are not deal breakers at all.

We have on and off snow years, and I don't mind persistent snow or cold. weeks stay below freezing here and I've worked in plenty of negative˚ weather.

Overall, at 45, it sounds like a fun new start. After 25+ years here, this city has lost my respect and it feels like it's time to get out of this town. Unless you are gay, you don't have any representation in City government here. Period.

I'll update this. My wife flies back out this week or weekend to see it again, and throw out an offer. This property suits our needs for space, land, and outbuildings quite well, no need for my 2500sq' shop anymore.

I quit drinking years ago, so the wine thing is very cool but I wouldn't be taking advantage of that. The methadone keeps a good buzz on if done in moderation. (kidding)

Thanks again for all the opinions. Tim
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
The only difference in gun laws between there and here is no NFA items (can't bring the supressor or the short barrel rifle). Tim
You can drop those off here on your way by
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #24

OMG!!! THAT'S MY FLUFFY!! FLUFFY COME HOME!!!

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 05-02-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #25
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post

OMG!!! THAT'S MY FLUFFY!! FLUFFY COME HOME!!!
Here, in rural areas, it's legal to kill animals suspected of being feral. No kidding. I am against this.

A democratic representative good friend of ours had buttons made up that say "I may be feral". It's absolutely hilarious to see him wear that to the capital.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:50 AM   #26

True Island

Porsche Chick-isthmus? Not so. Three bridges connect the island (that Newport is on) to the rest of RI.

One other thing about Bristol is that most of the state is on the other side of the Bay which is not a problem except that the airport is there meaning that you'll drive from Bristol up to Providence and then down to the airport-maybe 45 minutes (or down to Newport, cross bridges and then go up to the airport-maybe a little longer).

Winter can be tough but I put on my winter tires, drive the Bxtr year round and love it.

Want affordable waterfront living? Check Prudence Island with a ferry that runs from Bristol. It is small, not a lot of houses but great water views. Good luck.
tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:48 AM   #27

Garage
Good Luck! Welcome!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc356sc View Post
Porsche Chick-isthmus? Not so. Three bridges connect the island (that Newport is on) to the rest of RI.
Whew! Thank you TLC, for clearing THAT one up! I was really confused there for a minute, since I have to go over a bridge to find a decent WalMart for all my Duck Dynasty stuff.

Seriously, this is a great state to live in BECAUSE of all the other fine Road Island motorists with whom I share the (crappy) roads. My 15 minute commute is exciting as hell. I felt safer when I was flying jets -- to include those times when bad guys were shooting at me. At least I could shoot back...

TLC, what winter rubber are you driving on, and how is the Box in the snow?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #29

winter

I'm on Dunlops which are fine in snow. I don't drive in deep snow much (my wife won't drive in snow so i drop her off and drive her car).
My big winter concern is the lack of dry (mostly braking) traction under 40 degrees. I used to drive on summer tires on clear winter days but learned that traction goes off dangerously.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #30

Quote:
I'm on Dunlops which are fine in snow. I don't drive in deep snow much (my wife won't drive in snow so i drop her off and drive her car).
My big winter concern is the lack of dry (mostly braking) traction under 40 degrees. I used to drive on summer tires on clear winter days but learned that traction goes off dangerously. [/img]
Beautiful 356! Do you do any PCA events? Because I would love to see that car!

My wife and I are debating getting a third car for me to drive in the winter. My wife is semi-retired, and she just took delivery of a new Macan. So...if I could get through most winter days with the Boxster on winter tires, we were thinking I might steal her car when the weather is really bad and save ourselves a car payment.

Timco -- not trying to hijack your thread! This is the stuff most of us New England folks deal with when it comes to Boxsters and weather. Two schools of thought up here -- store it (no salt on my baby!), and drive it (made to be driven!).
Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 AM   #31

PCA events

The one where I am most likely to show up with my Bali Blue Cab. is an event held in Tiverton by the South Coast group, and other events in the South Coast area. Tom
Old 05-04-2016, 05:09 AM   #32

Quote:
The one where I am most likely to show up with my Bali Blue Cab. is an event held in Tiverton by the South Coast group, and other events in the South Coast area. Tom
TLC, would love to see that car. I live just across the bay from Tiverton.

Timco, sorry again for hijacking your thread!
Old 05-04-2016, 05:28 AM   #33

need 4 speed

PM sent about Typ356NE.org and my 356.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #34

Garage
TLC have you been to Patriot place? If so I know that car beautiful restoration!
Old 05-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #35
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
TLC, would love to see that car. I live just across the bay from Tiverton.

Timco, sorry again for hijacking your thread!
Not at all! Is all Porsche stuff and this is how these connections happen.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:56 AM   #36

Garage
Oh Yeah, and in RI, everyone knows everyone
Old 05-05-2016, 04:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Do you know Bob, in Narragansett?
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:35 AM   #38
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
How are Hans and Celest doing?

Funny thing is an old HS buddy of mine lives in Tiverton..
Old 05-05-2016, 04:47 AM   #39
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
How are Hans and Celest doing?

Funny thing is an old HS buddy of mine lives in Tiverton..
My high school band, from NH, did a week-long trip for an "exchange concert" in Tiverton. I still remember a girl....
Old 05-06-2016, 03:37 AM   #40

Garage
No but I know Dean and Jill from tiverton. We all meet in taunton every other sunday starting May 15. You should come!