Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #101
I am my own mechanic....

My F150 takes like 25oz from empty. An overcharge can cook the compressor, or lack of oil. It also needs to have a vacuum pulled if it was flat or disassembled and air got in. Does the compressor kick on and both fans up front?

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
My F150 takes like 25oz from empty. An overcharge can cook the compressor, or lack of oil. It also needs to have a vacuum pulled if it was flat or disassembled and air got in. Does the compressor kick on and both fans up front?

Both fans appear to be running, I didn't visibly inspect the compressor so I can't say for certain that it's on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GTsilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsilber View Post
Thanks Timco, yeah I've heard about how common the tank failures are, luckily the tank itself seems to be ok.

Now that one issue has been resolved can someone help me narrow down my AC issues - here's a list of signs/symptoms:
- AC blows hot air only
- HVAC unit appears to be working correctly, snowflake is visible on display, tested system on Lo and fan on high
- replaced fuse E7 and D6
- the AC is blowing air, the blend doors open (can hear them)
- hissing noise coming from the AC vent as well as from the condenser pipes in the frunk (sounds like an air leak) but I can't find source
- both condenser pipes are hot to the touch
- system holds pressure at 25, recharged the system with 30oz r314a but still no cold air

At this point I'm thinking it's the compressor - how can I verify/test? Anything else I can lookout for that will help narrow down the checklist?
Hello,

are you shure you know what you are doing? Sorry, if i sound harsh, but if you've looked a Youtube video with some guys refilling their AC with some refrigerant and telling you know its working that doesn't mean it will work for long. Just my 2 cents.

The AC system needs 850g of R 134a and also it is extremely important to add refrigerant oil 195 +/- 15 cm3 ND8. If some of the refrigerant is missing the system won't work. If you have to much refrigerant in the system you'll ruin the compressor. If some of the oil is missing you will ruin the compressor immediately.

So do yourself a favour a let the refill be done professionally. System leaks can be found easy if you use a professional refill machine. Also if the system was empty it is highly recommended to change the dryer cardridge.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #104

Garage
++++986 on what Smallblock said This is one of those systems best left up to the pros.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hello,

are you shure you know what you are doing? Sorry, if i sound harsh, but if you've looked a Youtube video with some guys refilling their AC with some refrigerant and telling you know its working that doesn't mean it will work for long. Just my 2 cents.

The AC system needs 850g of R 134a and also it is extremely important to add refrigerant oil 195 +/- 15 cm3 ND8. If some of the refrigerant is missing the system won't work. If you have to much refrigerant in the system you'll ruin the compressor. If some of the oil is missing you will ruin the compressor immediately.

So do yourself a favour a let the refill be done professionally. System leaks can be found easy if you use a professional refill machine. Also if the system was empty it is highly recommended to change the dryer cardridge.

Regards, Markus

I misspoke when I said I refilled with 30oz of refrigerant, I only used 12 oz. I wanted to test whether the system would hold the charge as well determine if there was a leak. The system had a reading of 20 psi prior to filling up with 12oz or r314a and the gauge read 25 psi post charge. I let the AC run for 10 minutes and rechecked the pressure - still 25 psi. Since the system had a reading of 20 psi pre-charge I assumed that there was still ND8 oil within the system, I am not sure how to measure the content of ND8 so I didn't add any more.

Do I know what I'm doing - not really, but I would rather try to diagnose a problem myself than bring it to a shop.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
++++986 on what Smallblock said This is one of those systems best left up to the pros.

Understood but I'm really trying to find the route cause of the problem, not necessarily fix it myself. I want to buy the replacement parts, bring everything to a shop and have them replace the parts...I don't want to pay an additional $500 for a diagnostic test & labor.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:58 PM   #107

Hello,

the AC system has a pressure sensor. If system pressure is too low the compressor doesn't start - clutch isn't activated. The system pressure doesn't take the amount of refrigerant oil in the system into account.

There are special systems to allow to flush the complete system. For example if the has had an accident.

If you use a professional system the complete system is evacuated / sucked and you can exactly measure the amount of R 134a that is in the system. There is no other way to define that. The amount of oil is a little difficult to measure, because in general most stays in the system and in general only the amount that was sucked out will be replaced with new (in general around 30 cm2 in a 986).

If parts of the AC system are replaced you have to mention that when filling up the refrigerant oil.
Total 195 +/- 15 cm3
Condenser approx 2 x 20 cm3
Evaporator approx 30 cm3
Fluid tank with lines approx 30 cm3
Compressor approx 50 cm3
Circulating oil in refrigerant circuit approx 60cm3

There are different tests you can do. For example you can test if the magnetic coupling of the compressor works. If condensors have a leak for a longer time in general you can see that visually.

External AC system sensors that can be checked and will need else the system may not run:
Outside temperature sensor
Inside temperature sensor
Footwell blower outlet sensor

If you don't know the exact amount of R 134 a in your system you don't know if it should work.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:00 AM   #108
I am my own mechanic....

I do residential split systems. Same issues. The compressor comes with its oil. Then if it's low or flat, I have to pull a vacuum in the system and it has to hold vac for like 30 min and not raise back up. Then a scale is used to weigh the charge being added. Vapor only to big pipe or suction (or compressor will be ruined) and liquid on the small pipe (liquid line). It can only be "topped off" when it's hot outside and the AC is running and working. Then check output air temp at vents and suction temp plus the suction side pressure based on a T&P chart. When output air is about 40* you're there.

When you top off it has typically enough oil to replace a leak in the can but if you lost a lot of oil it must be checked and replaced.

Last edited by Timco; 05-31-2016 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:43 AM   #109
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I am not a tech and I'm more of a duct tape and vice-grip guy than torque wrench and loc-tite. I have bought a lot of crappy old Hondas over the years that the AC had failed in. I got most of them working well again.
I would not recommend following my advice.
-See if the compressor is compressin' (jump the ground for the clutch if you have to.)
-Replace the schrader valves, and every one of the green o-rings that you can easily get to.
-Vacuum the system to get all the moisture, old/contaminated gasses out.
-Recharge with the correct amount of r134/ butane/favorite flavor of r12....

*Wear gloves & safety goggles, make sure nobody is filming, and don't breathe.
* Buy one of these:

Note to EPA: All work that I have done is under the supervision and training of a qualified HVAC A&P mechanic using approved devices.

Last edited by 78F350; 05-31-2016 at 05:47 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:53 AM   #110
I am my own mechanic....

It was a day-long course and a 4-hour test to get my EPA license for refrigerant. It's all about the safe recovery and reclaim process. The vac pumps shown above only pull vacuum. They do not recover the old refrigerant safely. That takes a $1200+ reclaimer pump and hoses and a empty tank.

An empty system can be charged with nitrogen to check for leaks. Never use air.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:16 AM   #111
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I forgot to add this link:
Summer A/C Guide, How it Works, and When it Doesn't - Honda-Tech
A great guide to basic automotive AC, but the system in our cars is not identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
It was a day-long course and a 4-hour test to get my EPA license for refrigerant. It's all about the safe recovery and reclaim process. The vac pumps shown above only pull vacuum. They do not recover the old refrigerant safely. That takes a $1200+ reclaimer pump and hoses and a empty tank.

An empty system can be charged with nitrogen to check for leaks. Never use air.
Tim is a professional. I am a hack.
Quote:
*Wear gloves & safety goggles, make sure nobody is filming, and don't breathe.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #112
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I forgot to add this link:
Summer A/C Guide, How it Works, and When it Doesn't - Honda-Tech
A great guide to basic automotive AC, but the system in our cars is not identical.

Tim is a professional. I am a hack.
That stuff will give you frostbite fast! And if you know where to look, you can actually see the ozone hole get bigger as the refrigerant leaks out......
Old 05-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #113

Thanks guys for the great feedback - you have convinced me to take the car to an independent shop that can better diagnose the issues, I was in over my head!

On another note - I received my new FVD pedals that I ordered off eBay for $30, going to try and install them this weekend.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #114

Progress update. Please

I just bought a distressed one for the same price
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:06 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
Progress update. Please

Car is being resprayed right now, should have it back early next week.

Here is a list of parts I've purchased so far, haven't installed everything yet:
AOS
Sparkplugs and coils
Pentosin oil
Magnetic oil plug
Oil filter
Cabin filter
Air filter
Rotors and pads
Brake fluid
Engine mount and shims
Clutch kit and flywheel
Leather Sport Seats
Floor mats
CV Axles
Coolant cap
Frunk shocks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited by GTsilber; 06-19-2016 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Forgot words
Old 06-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #116

Quote:
Progress update. Please

Here she is with new paint, not concours but dramatically better than before Wheels will be polished up this week

Old 06-29-2016, 04:48 AM   #117

Looks good. Hope to be there in a month lol
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:26 AM   #118

Quote:
Looks good. Hope to be there in a month lol
Color looks very different in the sun

Old 07-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #119

Parts for your build

Hey

Last October I was buying parts off this guy who turned a Cocoa 550 SE into a track car he had the whole interior for sale. My 550 has a black interior so I bought other things off him, so he might still have the interior on his shelf.

His email was bela928@sbcglobal.net

I did buy a bunch of stuff so feel free to shoot me an email for anything you may need.
blair206@hotmail.com

blair206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair206 View Post
Hey

Last October I was buying parts off this guy who turned a Cocoa 550 SE into a track car he had the whole interior for sale. My 550 has a black interior so I bought other things off him, so he might still have the interior on his shelf.

His email was bela928@sbcglobal.net

I did buy a bunch of stuff so feel free to shoot me an email for anything you may need.
blair206@hotmail.com

Thanks for the heads up, my interior is actually also black...but there still might be a few parts I can use