Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
2 fast 4 U

Carproof or carfax

Can anyone help me out? I need a car report for my car does anyone have free access to carfax or carproof.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

I have one carfax report left on my account, I'll run one for you. PM me the VIN and your email.
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #3

Garage
If anyone else is able to do a report I could totally use one myself...
Old 04-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #4

Too cheap to buy a carfax, too cheap to own a Porsche.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcar View Post
Too cheap to buy a carfax, too cheap to own a Porsche.
Let's not be dramatic...

Carfax should be free b/c that's approx what the reports are worth and subsequently their usefulness...

I'm about as cheap as they come - just ask my wife. Yet somehow miraculously have a few P-cars among my stable...
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Carfax is notoriously inaccurate. Like the pirate's code, its more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

A deer ran into the side of one of my BMW's. $4300 in damage including new fender and salvage replacement front door. Respray of hood, entire passenger side, and rear bumper/trunk. Repair done by insurance preferred body shop. Never showed up on Carfax.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Like the pirate's code, its more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.
Exactly. I nearly bought a used Toyota 4-Runner for my son-in-law. The last thing I did was run a CarFax only to find out the odometer had been rolled back 60,000 miles. It is just one of many tools to use when buying a car.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

You can also use AutoCheck through ebay, I think the reports are around $10.00 or around there. Carfax may be a little more thorough but I've used AutoCheck for the last few cars I bought.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecal View Post
You can also use AutoCheck through ebay, I think the reports are around $10.00 or around there. Carfax may be a little more thorough but I've used AutoCheck for the last few cars I bought.
Funny story about that. I bought a 2003 Nissan Sentra as my second car. It was used. Had 62000 miles on it, very clean, 1 owner car. Negotiated a great price from a dealer. They showed me the carfax. Only thing on it were emissions results. Flash forward to when I sold it. I listed it on ebay which comes with the free autocheck. Lo and behold a crash shows up that happened before I ever bought it. I don't trust carfax at all.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Funny story about that. I bought a 2003 Nissan Sentra as my second car. It was used. Had 62000 miles on it, very clean, 1 owner car. Negotiated a great price from a dealer. They showed me the carfax. Only thing on it were emissions results. Flash forward to when I sold it. I listed it on ebay which comes with the free autocheck. Lo and behold a crash shows up that happened before I ever bought it. I don't trust carfax at all.
I have to agree with you there; we had a two week old family car totaled (hit while it was parked by a drunk driver fleeing the police). This thing was so badly bent that the towing company had difficulty getting onto the flat bed to haul it away. Two years after it was totaled, the car is still listed on Carfax as being one owner with no accidents and an otherwise clean record.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecal View Post
Carfax is a LOT more thorough, at least on a Boxster I just looked at. Found out (verified) that the water pump had been replaced about 12k miles ago. Nothing on Autocheck.

Many oil changes on Carfax, not on Autocheck.

Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote