986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Carproof or carfax (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61243)

redeye280z 04-15-2016 08:15 AM

Carproof or carfax

Can anyone help me out? I need a car report for my car does anyone have free access to carfax or carproof.

thatguychad 04-15-2016 08:39 AM

I have one carfax report left on my account, I'll run one for you. PM me the VIN and your email.

DrCactus 04-15-2016 09:01 AM

If anyone else is able to do a report I could totally use one myself...

Tcar 04-15-2016 12:11 PM

Too cheap to buy a carfax, too cheap to own a Porsche.

Burg Boxster 04-15-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcar (Post 491839)
Too cheap to buy a carfax, too cheap to own a Porsche.

Let's not be dramatic...

Carfax should be free b/c that's approx what the reports are worth and subsequently their usefulness...

I'm about as cheap as they come - just ask my wife. Yet somehow miraculously have a few P-cars among my stable...

thstone 04-15-2016 07:36 PM

Carfax is notoriously inaccurate. Like the pirate's code, its more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

A deer ran into the side of one of my BMW's. $4300 in damage including new fender and salvage replacement front door. Respray of hood, entire passenger side, and rear bumper/trunk. Repair done by insurance preferred body shop. Never showed up on Carfax.

Chuck W. 04-16-2016 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 491901)
Like the pirate's code, its more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

Exactly. I nearly bought a used Toyota 4-Runner for my son-in-law. The last thing I did was run a CarFax only to find out the odometer had been rolled back 60,000 miles. It is just one of many tools to use when buying a car.

joecal 04-16-2016 08:24 AM

You can also use AutoCheck through ebay, I think the reports are around $10.00 or around there. Carfax may be a little more thorough but I've used AutoCheck for the last few cars I bought.

jdraupp 04-16-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecal (Post 491932)
You can also use AutoCheck through ebay, I think the reports are around $10.00 or around there. Carfax may be a little more thorough but I've used AutoCheck for the last few cars I bought.

Funny story about that. I bought a 2003 Nissan Sentra as my second car. It was used. Had 62000 miles on it, very clean, 1 owner car. Negotiated a great price from a dealer. They showed me the carfax. Only thing on it were emissions results. Flash forward to when I sold it. I listed it on ebay which comes with the free autocheck. Lo and behold a crash shows up that happened before I ever bought it. I don't trust carfax at all.

JFP in PA 04-16-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 491938)
Funny story about that. I bought a 2003 Nissan Sentra as my second car. It was used. Had 62000 miles on it, very clean, 1 owner car. Negotiated a great price from a dealer. They showed me the carfax. Only thing on it were emissions results. Flash forward to when I sold it. I listed it on ebay which comes with the free autocheck. Lo and behold a crash shows up that happened before I ever bought it. I don't trust carfax at all.

I have to agree with you there; we had a two week old family car totaled (hit while it was parked by a drunk driver fleeing the police). This thing was so badly bent that the towing company had difficulty getting onto the flat bed to haul it away. Two years after it was totaled, the car is still listed on Carfax as being one owner with no accidents and an otherwise clean record.

Tcar 04-16-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecal (Post 491932)

Carfax is a LOT more thorough, at least on a Boxster I just looked at. Found out (verified) that the water pump had been replaced about 12k miles ago. Nothing on Autocheck.

Many oil changes on Carfax, not on Autocheck.