Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

ABS & Batt light

I noticed yesterday that my battery & ABS light are staying on much longer than normal. They both go out after about 30 seconds of driving but they are where on longer than the top light.

I haven't noticed this before and wonder if this is a sign that the battery or alternator are on their way out.

I have a 35 mile commute and noticed no other issues, lights, radio, heat & wipers where all on both ways so maybe I'm nuts.

Anybody seen anything like this?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #2

Garage
My battery died on Friday and noticed my radio music would clip in and out like bad reception kind of thing.... my battery light would do the same thing. Maybe get it tested before getting stranded like me! Went to get my e-test done and car died - needed new battery, such a pain!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #3

Garage
Hit it with a multimeter. That's the only way you can be sure.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:15 AM   #4

So I did a little more testing. The battery is fine. At idle the alt is about 12 volts, at 3000 rpm its around 14. The batt light stays on until 3000 rpm then goes out and stays out.

I think this means the Alt is starting to go.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveccpa View Post
So I did a little more testing. The battery is fine. At idle the alt is about 12 volts, at 3000 rpm its around 14. The batt light stays on until 3000 rpm then goes out and stays out.

I think this means the Alt is starting to go.
More likely the voltage regulator.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #6

JFP you where right on. The voltage regulator was totally worn. Replaced with a new one and everything works great.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveccpa View Post
JFP you where right on. The voltage regulator was totally worn. Replaced with a new one and everything works great.
Out of curiosity, can you easily replace the regulator without removing the alternator..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #8

No - the regulator is bolted on the rear od the alternator, so it has to be removed for access.
Once the alternator is on the bench, it only takes a few minutes to clean up the commutator and fit the new regulator.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
No - the regulator is bolted on the rear od the alternator, so it has to be removed for access.
Once the alternator is on the bench, it only takes a few minutes to clean up the commutator and fit the new regulator.
+1.

My order of chaos when I had this issue was since I had to remove the alternator anyway,I took it to have it tested. Once I verified that the VR was bad (2 bad diodes), I bought new bosch regulator (~$50), installed it on the back or the alternator and installed into the car. It's been almost three years and no further issues.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote