Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

Alarm and micro-switches...

Hello,

The frequency of my alarm issues is increasing. I believe that I have a bad microswitch in my passenger door and wanted to validate that as there is a lot of posts on similar problems but nothing that seems to be the exact problem.

Here is my problem.

Occasionally (and getting more frequent), the Lock button LED will be lit in the interior of my car. When that happens, the auto drop on my passenger window does not work and the car will beep twice when I unlock it. The driver door seems to work fine.

If I go for a drive, put the window down or open and close the passenger door, it sometimes goes out and then the window works normally and there is no beep beep.

I would like to fix this problem given that the frequency is increasing but want to check and see if there is someone who believes that it is a different problem.

Let me know.

Thanks, John

Old 08-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #2

Get the car scanned with a Porsche specific scan tool, it will read out the last ten alarm system faults (read which door or lid did not lock, etc.).
Old 08-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

Would places like Autozone have the tool you are talking about? I know that Durametric is the favored option around here, but I do not have one or access to one.

Thanks, John
Old 02-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

I am reopening this thread because I have never found a fix. I have a durametric now and there are no alarm faults at all.

The car has been driven a little over the winter but is getting out more as we move towards spring. I have even had the top down a few times this month.

Given that, this problem has resurfaced. It only resurfaced after I started putting the top down again.

I have experimented by putting the window down and watching the alarm indicator light. Usually, the light will go out and then back on at some point in the travel from closed to open. Putting it back up, the same thing happens.

I am back to microswitches. How many are in the door?
Old 02-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #5

jpc763,
That was a very good description of the issue. I have the exact symptoms on my '02 base with one more added issue - the auto retract on the driver's window is starting to act up also. If I'm in the car and open the door the retract function works great. If I'm outside the car the window retracts when I pull the handle but goes right back up as soon as I release it. (probably the retract micro switch on the back side of the exterior door handle.)

I'm not sure it's related to first issue though. I've had the first issue for (8) months of daily driving.
germaneighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

I left work and unlocked the Box. Two beeps. So I got in, dropped the top and drove home. The alarm light was on. At a light I put the window down and back up. No change at all. I opened the passenger door and closed it and the light went off.

Just more data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

I wanted to update this with another piece of data. I may be confusing people with the terms I am using. When I talk about the alarm light, I am actually talking about the lock indicator light. Here is a pic.

Name:  Lock Indicator.png
Views: 481
Size:  171.7 KB

When this light is on, the window will not drop and I get the double honk when unlocking the car. It seems to happen when it is warmer out. It also goes away after a period of time.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

An update. I purchased a passenger door lock mechanism from Woody and installed it over the weekend. So far, I have not had the problem again. No beep beep. No alarm light. The window drops when the passenger door is opened. Pretty happy so far!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #9

That's great!