Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
1998 Boxster Owner

Garage
Replace camshaft plug

I was able to trace my oil leak down to a camshaft plug, the green ones. How hard is it to replace? It looks like you can jam something through the center and pull it out. But from the articles I have read, it looks like they need to be tapped back into the cam cover with a rubber mallet. My engine is still installed and I don't see any room to tap with a mallet. Is there another way to push them in with the engine installed?

Last edited by tada; 03-10-2016 at 12:57 PM.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
I was able to trace my oil leak down to a camshaft pug, the green ones. How hard is it to replace? It looks like you can jam something through the center and pull it out. But from the articles I have read, it looks like they need to be tapped back into the cam cover with a rubber mallet. My engine is still installed and I don't see any room to tap with a mallet. Is there another way to push them in with the engine installed?
The plugs pop right out if you pierce the center with either a pick or small screw and then pull. Once removed, thoroughly clean the plug opening before pushing in the new plug (any small hammer like device will do), and only install the plug dry (absolutely no sealant).
Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I don't remember it being very hard to tap in place. I think that you have good access with the engine cover behind the seats removed anyway. Hook it and pull to get it out. Within the plug is a metal washer - about a 1 cm hole in the center. If you can't find a way to tap it in, lever it. Just a good push and it slides in.

Last edited by 78F350; 03-10-2016 at 12:43 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Owner

Garage
Thank you!

tada is offline   Reply With Quote