Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #1

Clamshell and cables.

Could the cables going from the top drive motor to the transmission be the cause of the clam shell being a bit crooked on one side. The line between the shell and the fender goes from a small gap to a wide gap back to front on one side. I think the driver side finishes it's process a second sooner than the right. The front right side as it finishes suddenly pulls inward and stops. Works fine, the gap just bothers me.
Thanks

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

Garage
yes and a simple fix:

there are a few threads if you search for clamshell, but the basics would be to raise the top enough to access the top motor at rear, you will have a couple screws to remove to access the cable ends that each have a simple clip on each. Remove the clip and pull out the lowest side then go inside the cabin and turn key on and lightly bump the top button till each side lines up by sight or get a tape measure and measure at different points of each side. The just reattach the cables.

Also be aware that an issue could also be the at the cable ends that connect to the motor could be stripping and slip or the transmission wheels could be missing a tooth or two.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

I could not find a good spot to measure from. I ended up putting a small level on the lever and set one to level. I then disconnected and attempted to get other side level. It is better but not perfect. I will wait for a warm day and a second person and try again. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

i had a hard time finding a good spot as well. I ended up with trial and error. It takes time, lots of patience and a little luck.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #5

Garage
The below is what I used to guide me.

Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Repair - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #6

Genius! Thanks. I gotta find me one of those.