Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #1

Another headlight thread

Hoping you guys could help me troubleshoot issues with the my drivers side litronic low beam. Sometimes it stays on for 5 minutes after the car starts, other times its half an hour, but it always goes out eventually. If I turn the car off then start it up again it always comes right back on. So far I have:

-taken the headlight switch out and cleaned it up with contact cleaner (didn't think this was the cause, but figured it couldn't hurt)
-taken the headlight out and cleaned all connections at the back with contact cleaner
-opened it up to look for any loose wires etc. It seemed fine.
-reinstalled it making sure it was properly connected and seated within the bracket

So I'm just wondering where I should go from here and what else I should check. I have a spare ballast I'm thinking of swapping in but I've read of people with similar issues swapping ballasts to no avail. I'd also prefer not to have to buy a bulb until I've checked everything else. Hopefully there is something I am missing here. Another thing I wanted to ask was how to adjust the height of the low beams. The new headlight I installed on the passenger side is pointed much lower than the drivers. I figure its one of those screws on the side but I would like to know which screw adjusts what before I start playing with things.

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

Unfortunately it does sound like a ballast issue bud.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The first thing I would do is switch the ballast with a known good one. In other words, swap the drivers-side ballast with the passenger-side ballast (unless you know for a fact that your spare ballast is good).

Old 02-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #4

Agree with first post. If it's not the ballast, don't rule out bad light switch.
I've had mine apart and fixed it. It's a crappy design. There are large contacts on the output side of the switch but the rotating contacts are small, relying on tension for a good connection.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

I guess I'll try the ballast then. Not sure if my spare works but I guess I'll find out. My reason for tentatively ruling out the switch is that I assumed if something was wrong with it both headlights would go out, which is not the case. And thanks a ton for the picture PW! I've been looking everywhere for something like that.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would also assume the switch would affect both headlights, but a faulty headlight switch is a somewhat common issue. It wouldn't hurt to replace it, so you can rule it out.

particlewave, that is a great photo to help people adjust their headlights, saving it to my 'Porsche' folder. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #7

Even though externally, your light switch turns on both lights at the same time, internally there are separate contacts for each light.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #8

Good to know. I guess it makes sense that the switch would power each light separately given the number of contacts. Another thing worth mentioning, and this is something I initially ruled out as coincidental, is that the longest the drivers light was ever on was when I had the switch all the way to the right. Normally the light goes out pretty quickly but I remember going for a 30 min drive at night and coming home to see both lights were still on. Keep in mind that since my low beams are my DRL's, all turning the switch to right does is light up the dash and instrument cluster. Thinking that the problem was somehow related to the switch position, I pulled the switch out and cleaned it up, but initially ruled it out because the problem still persisted. Perhaps cleaning it up wasn't sufficient? I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat but they are kind of pricey and just about every switch related issue I've read about describes both headlights going out, not just one.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No, the headlight switch controls both headlights simultaneously. The switch only has one contact for both headlights. If your headlight switch were bad, both headlights would be affected the same.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #10

Good to know my switch observation was purely coincidental. Back to the ballast it is! I'll swap it out later this week and let you guys know.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #11

Got the new headlight adjusted and the spare ballast appears to be a winner. It hadn't seen use since before the PO crashed the car in August (I pulled it off the damaged headlight I found in the frunk) but once I swapped it in the headlight fired right up. Had it on for a good 20min and it didn't cut out so I've got my fingers crossed. Many thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #12

Looks like I spoke too soon! The headlight went out today. Thoughts???
Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #13

Nobody? Am I correct in assuming that it would be highly unlikely for both ballasts I've had on this light to have the EXACT same symptoms? Only thing left I can think of to change/fix would be the bulb but if it was the bulb wouldn't it just stop turning on altogether? I hate to just throw money at these kind of things so if you guys could help me narrow down the issue that would be great
Old 04-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Swap the driver and passenger bulbs and report back with the results.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #15

swap bulbs if its not bulbs, I'll pull my switch and you can give that a try

Its either ballast, bulbs or switch

I'd personally switch your known working parts one at a time,

Id swap bulbs from left to right. Test (the suspect bulb should bring the same issue with the passenger ballast if the bulb is bad), If the ballast is bad the known good bulb would have the same issue on the drivers side)

If same problem exist on the drivers side, Id swap ballasts from left to right, test

If same problem on drivers side the ballast and bulbs are both fine on both sides and the issue would be power to one side of the car
which I would think is a switch

Last edited by GTA_G20; 04-02-2016 at 08:45 AM.
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #16

Thanks guys. Guess I've got some more fiddling to do!
Old 04-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #17

Swapped the bulbs, they aren't the problem. So I either have 2 ballasts that coincidentally have the exact same issue or it's something else entirely. When I had back of the headlight open I noticed there's a small black box to the right where the wires for the low beam originate from. What is that? could there be an issue with that component?
Old 04-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That is the igniter. Try swapping those and see if the symptoms persist.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #19

Would the igniter be causing symptoms like this if it was failing? It just seems like something in the headlight heats up to a certain point and then the headlight just goes out. Love the car otherwise but this is just really irking me
Old 04-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Could be...