Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Garage
Need opinions on damage. Deal or no deal?

We had a deal in place to buy a 2003 S with very low miles and a loving owner. Just before hitting the road to pick her up, owner called and said car was hit. Deal off. Update: owner has offered to have the car fixed AND also knock $1k off the price (price was already very reasonable for this car). This appears to be surface damage, and I know it will go on the car's record, but I would like opinions about this type of damage and how "fixable" it is. The car has a clean AutoCheck record except for this incident. We are thinking of accepting this offer pending an inspection after the damage is fixed.

XLR8URLYF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It doesn't look too bad to me. I hit an animal running across the road a few years ago. It smashed in the drivers side bumper cover and cracked the radiator. Looks good as new now, but it looked much worse than the damage on the car you want to buy.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Take a look at the repair estimate to see what was damaged and have an inspection done after the repairs are done. From your pic, it looks like it's just damage to the bumper cover and maybe the headlight corner

If there was no structural damage and alignment is good, it sounds like a good deal for you
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 02-27-2016 at 11:45 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
That's nothin', I bought this one:

(My parts car)

Seriously though, since you have contact with the owner, get more detail about the accident and extent of the damage. If it was a low-force impact, it is easily repaired. The only lasting effect would be the loss of value of having the accident on it's record.
If it was a moderate-force impact, the frame could have shifted, and undercarriage damaged.
From the view of the scuff on the bumper, I'm guessing it was a pretty light impact and the damage is cosmetic.
If a reputable pro shop does the repair my sentiment is 'buy'.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

looks like new bumper and new fender...
I wouldnt' have any issue buying it as looks like "minimal" damage BUT I'd rather have it fixed at my choice of shop
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Deal.

I'd do it. Fairly minor as accidents go and there is no way that caused any chassis damage. Additionally, there is a good chance that the accident/damage never shows up on the history report - they are notoriously, horribly inaccurate.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #7

Do the deal now before someone else does.

Besides, you live in Queens. How long before someone bumps into you anyways?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #8

Deal.

Here's why (and nothing mentioned is meant to disrespect your purchasing the car, you're going to love it!).

1. This is a 'fender bender'. It happens more often than is ever reported, clean carfax or not. this incident does not make this a bad car and the offer from the seller seems more than fair. You can always negotiate more than $1,000 off, buy the car and have the shop of your choice perform the work.

2. This is a 13 year old car, that, unfortunately will continue to lose value, accident or not. The amount that this accident will diminish the value of your car is minimal at this point.

3. If I was looking at a car of this age and the owner stated it had never been damaged, I would still wonder if it was true or not as it is very hard to go this long and not have damage of some sort unless the car is a true garage queen, which opens up another (mechanical) can of worms...

4. Look, this is unfortunate but your reasons to decide to buy this car are still valid. Did you every see the movie "The World According to Garp"? At one point, Garp and his wife are looking at a house they really want to buy and a small plane crashes into the house as they watch.

Garp's reaction? "I'll take it, this house is pre-disastered and will be safe now for my family".

Enjoy your new car!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #9

If you sell it and someone questions, you have pictures to prove how trivial the damage was and how it does not jeopardize any safety related item.

Been there, buyer just nodded at my disclosure, felt good about the disclosure as proof I wasn't hiding anything and actually said that contributed to his confidence in the sale.

They will refinish the bumper cover so the only question is the paint match. The fender scrape...that is the item I'd want to know how they repair it.

You said it was already a good deal, probably just a better deal after...if done right. Reserve the right to walk away if not done right.

Here is what I'd do:
Offer $500 earnest money against the adjusted price contingent on receiving pictures of the in progress repair and it being done right. Write up a contract to that effect and define right as undetectable paint match and full behind the bumper safety inspection. Should be ready by the good weather.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:35 AM   #10

Hard to tell from the pic but it's quite possible no replacement parts will be needed. The headlight doesn't appear to be damaged or even scratched. The fender looks like it either just has a paint scrape or possibly a slight dent/crease. A good paintless dent removal guy will be able to straighten that out, he will be able to get to the back side by removing the fender liner. And even the bumper cover can probably be heated a little bit and " popped " back out to shape. Maybe a skim coat of bondo will be needed. Paint the entire front bumper and just a little bit of that fender and you're good to go. While the bumper cover is off being worked structural damage can be assessed but I doubt there is any. If the hood and door edge seam look good I say go for it IF it's the car you want.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:17 AM   #11

That looks very minor and you can get a better deal out of it in the end? I'd do it in a heartbeat!
For contrast: This happened to my car last year....

It was all cosmetic, and today you can't even tell it had a ding on it. The one in your post is "but a scratch"

Last edited by Retroman1969; 02-28-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #12

Garage
Go for the deal!!!!!!!
Duezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #13

I'm getting ready to take my car in to have the front end of the car repainted. Plan to do the hood and front bumper cover. Hood has an 'outie ding" and an 'innie ding' from a pine cone.

All in all, I'm looking at $700 and my 16 year old car will look like new.
If I sold, I would certainly disclose what I'd done but I wouldn't subtract anything for the work.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #14

DEAL! You know the front bumper won't have any stone chips!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:03 AM   #15

Garage
Thanks so much for the input. The deal is on. I've waited over 30 years to own a Porsche so a few more weeks won't make a big difference. And I should have nicer weather for the four hour drive home

XLR8URLYF is offline   Reply With Quote