Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Thinking I lost a right rear wheel bearing

Driving along today I heard a rhythmic squeaking noise from the right rear. It went from nothing to something nearly instantly. Pulling the parking brake did not change it. Rolling along in neutral did not change it. Faster tire rotation equaled faster / higher pitched squeaking. Turning right did relieve it some. Regular braking only changed it to a slower repeating squeak as the car slowed. At 50 MPH it would get very high and then disappear altogether, or almost so. At slow speeds it was a painful wail.

Sound like a wheel bearing?

Old 02-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #2

That would be super rare for a wheel bearing to go from hero to zero in one day. More likely you picked up something in your rear rotor, or that s*** show of a parking brake system launched one of the hokey brake shoe retainer clips into the maw.

Pull the wheel off. You'll figure it out.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I somehow managed to get a wood chip lodged in my rotor while getting off the freeway once. It was the most god-awful screeching I have ever heard. I agree with flaps10, pull the rim, and check the rotor for debris.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

My rear wheel bearings made a lower pitch ("Whup, Whup, Whup" )sound than what you described. Didn't seem to happen all at once either.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
My rear wheel bearings made a lower pitch ("Whup, Whup, Whup" )sound than what you described. Didn't seem to happen all at once either.
This. That's how mine acted. It had a bad spot on the race.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

Gotta mention how much I enjoyed (Not!) replacing wheel bearings! It wore me out!

I did the drivers side first and all went well with the exception of fighting with the parking brake mechanism when putting it back together.

A few months later, I tackled the passenger side preemptively as I was replacing torn CV boots.
I'd like to say it was easier the second time...but I'd be lying! All when well but for some reason, I had a heck of a time getting the parking brake cable to seat back in the wheel hub.

Oh well, all done!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Gotta mention how much I enjoyed (Not!) replacing wheel bearings! It wore me out!

I did the drivers side first and all went well with the exception of fighting with the parking brake mechanism when putting it back together.

A few months later, I tackled the passenger side preemptively as I was replacing torn CV boots.
I'd like to say it was easier the second time...but I'd be lying! All when well but for some reason, I had a heck of a time getting the parking brake cable to seat back in the wheel hub.

Oh well, all done!
I fabricated a stand off to straddle the bearing and let me use the harbor freight bearing / CV puller kit for the rear. Fronts on the press with beefier custom supports for the item being pressed against.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
Beginner

Garage
The Plot Sickens

The rotor was pulled to check the parking brake - that looked fine. The parking brake shoes were adjusted way in anyway. The dust shield was checked for clearance and it was good. A witness mark on the suspension (white painted stripe) to see if the tire was rubbing showed it was not. Checking the tire and rim showed no signs of rubbing. With the tire off the ground, spinning the tire freely in neutral does not create the noise. Driving it makes a racket. Also of note is that when the car sat for four days, it took about 3 miles of driving for the noise to return. Then it came back with a vengeance.

Here are a couple of clips of the noise.

https://youtu.be/GpfxWZIixpQ

https://youtu.be/1PT7dDshVBs

Any help is always appreciated!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #9
Beginner

Garage
:chicken: Post from the Department of Redundancy Department :chicken:

Last edited by Jamesp; 02-28-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Project Addicted

Maybe a CV joint??? Sounds like rubber might be involved somehow.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
Beginner

Garage
Good thought. Just replaced both rear axles and lubed the right hand joints today before recording because the chance presented itself. Thank for the response. Appreciate you pitching in!