Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2016, 05:12 AM   #1

Very frustrating! Suspension experts Please chime in

The rear suspension on 98 Boxster was toast, so I bit the bullet and had everything changed out. Namely, rear shocks with all brand new components, control arm links, track rods, lower control arm ball joint, sway bar links, sway bar bushings. When I went to pick up the vehicle the mechanic took it for a test drive and came back puzzled. The rear wheels are acting against each other, I saw them pointing inward. He made some tweaks with the bolts, but when I drive it now the vehicle seems to drive awkward, best way to describe it as the rear fishtails like a rear wheel drive car would in snowy conditions up north. The mechanic also changed the rotors and pads (Powersport).

Any thoughts on what could be causing this issue? Just looking for pointers as the vehicle is going back to the shop. I plan on putting 4 new tires and taking it for an alignment at the dealer, but would like this issue sorted first.

Appreciate any input.

Looking to add: Ferrari 328 GTS | Classic Rolls Royce
Britrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
I did a complete suspension change on my 98' and you have to have a full alignment done to the car. If you simply paid a mechanic to install the parts you would expect to have the conditions you are having. Your camber and caster are more than likely out of wack and only an alignment will set that correct.

If your mechanic say he aligned it, get the report showing what all of the settings are as that is the most critical diagnostic tool you will have. You cannot simply install suspension and drive.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 AM   #3

So you only changed everything on the rear but nothing in the front? Fire the guy who gave you this advice. If you have worn components in the front and brand new in the back the car will never drive good.

If the rear wheels try to work against each other check the rear stabilizer. Did he install the triangular plate below the gear box correctly?

And in general: before you didn't do a complete alignment the car won't drive great.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:33 AM   #4

Thanks Gents. The entire front suspension was done about 6 months back. The only one component added this time were the front control arms.

Markus - I will have him check the rear stabilizer and also look into the triangular plate.

He never did the alignment. My plan was to take it over to the dealership with 4 brand new tires and have the alignment done.

My concern is that the car feels unsafe to drive here in non winters roads in FL. So was looking to get whatever is potentially incorrect with the suspension sorted.

Perhaps these vehicles are very finicky and 4 new tires with an alignment gets everything back to normal.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #5

Garage
The answer here is four wheel alignment. You wouldn't put new tires on without balancing them would you? The car contact the road at 4 points...if your suspension isn't aligned properly then your tires are not optimally contacting the ground.

Last edited by jdraupp; 01-28-2016 at 06:30 AM.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:18 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britrover View Post
He never did the alignment. My plan was to take it over to the dealership with 4 brand new tires and have the alignment done.
Not sure why you would expect the car to handle without alignment after that much work. If it is that bad you probably shouldn't really be driving it around

Hope alignment brings the handling back to life
Old 01-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #7

Gents - Tires ordered from Tire Rack. They will balanced and mounted tomorrow. Hoping to get it into the dealership on Monday for the alignment.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britrover View Post
Gents - Tires ordered from Tire Rack. They will balanced and mounted tomorrow. Hoping to get it into the dealership on Monday for the alignment.
Good, I would not drive it until you get aligned. You could do damage to your new tires and suspension if you do
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #9

when you get it back from the dealer, don't be put off if you feel some bump steer initially - new rear tires will do that until they break in.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #10

i remember driving my car to the shop to get it lined up after installing the row kit . the car felt like it was driving sideways , very scary .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
i remember driving my car to the shop to get it lined up after installing the row kit . the car felt like it was driving sideways , very scary .
Absolutely scary feeling! Like you are going to spin out while going straight.

One other possibility, If the rear control arms were not torqued to spec once the car was back on the ground you will have issues. I had that problem after R/R rear wheel bearings. I was tired and just forgot all about doing the final torque on the ground. I finished the job and on the drive home felt like I was going to wreck for sure.

Got home, tightened the control arms and all was well again.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
Mine drives exactly as you described . It is a very strange feeling for sure. Taking it for the alignment first thing Monday morning and hopefully everything will be back to normal then.

Looking to add: Ferrari 328 GTS | Classic Rolls Royce